PDA

View Full Version : Ways of negating armor speed penalties? (3.x/PF)

Telasi
2011-07-07, 11:43 PM
As the title suggests, I'm looking for ways to get around the speed penalties for wearing medium and heavy armor. Specifically, I'm looking for ways that don't require class features (and thus levels) or uses of magic other than item enchantments.

Thanks, Telasi.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-07-07, 11:45 PM
As the title suggests, I'm looking for ways to get around the speed penalties for wearing medium and heavy armor. Specifically, I'm looking for ways that don't require class features (and thus levels) or uses of magic other than item enchantments.

Thanks, Telasi.

Well, Methril reduces the weight category by one, so Heavy becomes Medium and Medium becomes Light, negating the need to get around the speed penalties... does that help?

Telasi
2011-07-07, 11:51 PM
Well, Methril reduces the weight category by one, so Heavy becomes Medium and Medium becomes Light, negating the need to get around the speed penalties... does that help?

I knew about that one already, I'm afraid. Mithral full plate and 3 or 4 fighter levels is my reserve plan. I was hoping more for ways that don't require me to give up paladin levels or full plate.

The-Mage-King
2011-07-07, 11:51 PM
One of the teeth from ToM, in the binder section. 8k gp, and you never have to worry about speed penalties until you take it out.

Hamburgers
2011-07-08, 12:31 AM
I knew about that one already, I'm afraid. Mithral full plate and 3 or 4 fighter levels is my reserve plan. I was hoping more for ways that don't require me to give up paladin levels or full plate.

You can prestige into Hellknight, if you are neutral, and proceed to smash folks with Smite Chaos and wear full plate you can run full speed in!

Zaq
2011-07-08, 12:47 AM
I know there are a few enhancements that basically amount to ripping chunks out of the armor (with MAGIC!) until it doesn't hinder you anymore, even if you do end up with basically a fullplate bikini. I think Halfweight and Easy Travel are what you're looking for. If memory serves (I don't have the books open), one is in Underdark, and one is in the MIC. This is all from memory, so don't quote me on any of that.

Lord Ruby34
2011-07-08, 12:50 AM
Or you could play a dwarf with the quick trait.

What?

peacenlove
2011-07-08, 02:52 AM
One of the teeth from ToM, in the binder section. 8k gp, and you never have to worry about speed penalties until you take it out.

Tooth of Savnok. 2000 gp practically slotless. Has an RP disadvantage. Also affects medium/heavy load.

ericgrau
2011-07-08, 03:38 AM
Boots of striding and springing, 5500. Get the speed back instead of negating it. Or possibly the best boots for melee, boots of speed, boosts speed 10 rounds per day and more importantly gives haste. If you travel a lot at high levels get both and swap as needed.

Darrin
2011-07-08, 06:45 AM

Could you be a little more specific about your build and the specific armor you want to wear (I assume full plate)?

The Half-Weight property (+3 enhancement, FR Underdark p. 70) drops the weight category to light armor... probably the simplest solution, but a wee bit on the pricy side (+16000 GP for armor +4).

Otherwise, the best solution is probably just increase your base land speed, which can be done a variety of ways:

Boots of Striding and Springing (5500 GP, DMG)
Boots of the Unending Journey (4000 GP, MIC p. 79)
Sandals of the Light Step (7000 GP, MIC p. 198)
Crystal of Alacrity (3500 GP, +5' morale bonus, MIC p. 195)
Celerity domain (via Planar Touchstone -> Catalogues of Enlightenment)
Dash feat (+5' untyped, CWar)
Speed of Thought (+10' insight, SRD/XPH)
Quick trait (SRD/UA)

Hazzardevil
2011-07-08, 08:05 AM
Blue ice also works like mithral making it possiblde to have light armour fullplate. Doesn't impress most DM's though.

Telasi
2011-07-08, 10:28 AM
Could you be a little more specific about your build and the specific armor you want to wear (I assume full plate)?

The character I'm planning to use this on is a Pathfinder paladin, and I'd like to wear full plate. Beyond the fact that my main class is paladin, the build is not defined. I have WBL and build resources for a level 8 Pathfinder character.

The-Mage-King
2011-07-08, 10:57 AM
Tooth of Savnok. 2000 gp practically slotless. Has an RP disadvantage. Also affects medium/heavy load.

Ah. My mistake.

Said disadvantage? You aren't allowed to remove armor or a shield for any reason, you're headstrong, and you have a piece of arrow under your skin somewhere. Not much, given that you're a Paladin. You're already going to be charging in heroicly, right?

Telasi
2011-07-08, 11:07 AM
Ah. My mistake.

Said disadvantage? You aren't allowed to remove armor or a shield for any reason, you're headstrong, and you have a piece of arrow under your skin somewhere. Not much, given that you're a Paladin. You're already going to be charging in heroicly, right?

Well, the inability to ever remove armor could be unpleasant (fatigue sucks), but the other bits aren't bad on a paladin. Not a bad item.

ericgrau
2011-07-08, 11:44 AM
Normally yes but lesser restoration is a 1st level spell for a paladin. Removes fatigue.

The-Mage-King
2011-07-08, 10:13 PM
Slap the Easy Resting enhancement onto your armor. You no longer care.

Telasi
2011-07-08, 10:45 PM
Where's Easy Resting from? MIC?