PDA

View Full Version : Undead Assassin

acheronavernus
2011-07-08, 01:26 AM
hey yall, this is my first thread here, so please be gentle :smalltongue:
anyway, my friend is running an undead vs human war campaign using the heroes of battle book with the pc's being on the undead side. I was thinking of being an assassin of some sort, perhaps rogue/ninja leveling into assassin with some sort of undead inclination (i was thinking he worships an undead deity and emulates incorporeal and stealthy undead as the height of stealth and the truest form of the assassins art) his race would be the necropolitain from the libris mortis. Do you guys have any suggestions for builds, feats, alternate class features, etc. to make this guy awesome?

Also i forgot to mention wed be fourth level, lol

kharmakazy
2011-07-08, 01:32 AM
Take a level of Dread Necromancer so you have free healing for your party all the time?

Shadowknight12
2011-07-08, 01:39 AM
I've played this homebrewed Wight class (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=13mlkc32jkid5vuv5snec3pg02&topic=9557.msg358977#msg358977). It's actually very good. I'd recommend it.

acheronavernus
2011-07-08, 01:39 AM
true true, but i kinda wanted to max out my sneak attack as much as possible, but the again 3/rogue or ninja 1/dread necro would have the same sneak attack as a level 4/rogue, thx. also the dread necros charnel touch would be super awesome couple with a sneak attack.

Also sadly my DM doesnt allow monster classes, or else thats totally what id do :smallfrown:

Shadowknight12
2011-07-08, 01:44 AM
The PCs are on the undead side and he doesn't allow monster classes? Does he allow templates? Savage Species progressions? Or is he like "Yeah, guys, only NPCs get in on the undead fun. You guys can play creepy necromancers or death clerics instead."

Because I can't follow his logic, really.

Pika...
2011-07-08, 01:49 AM
What shadowknight said.

Also, as the party rogue put ranks in UMD, and get a wand of Inflict X Wounds. Odds are you'll never do that again in another campaign. :smallwink:

acheronavernus
2011-07-08, 01:51 AM
yeah, to be honest im not really sure either. i think we're like mercenaries who happen to be so evil and depraved that they'd rather join the undead side that they believe will win or perhaps pays more, i really dont know.

Shadowknight12
2011-07-08, 01:52 AM
Then you really want to sit down with your friend and get concrete info from him. You don't want to start building a character, with sheet and background and all those things, only for it later to end up being a waste of time and effort.

acheronavernus
2011-07-08, 01:54 AM
yeah, to be honest im not really sure either. i think we're like mercenaries who happen to be so evil and depraved that they'd rather join the undead side that they believe will win or perhaps pays more, i really dont know.

Also good point Pika, ill do that. or perhaps if i multiclass with dread necro ill have it on my class spell list that wont be necessary (i dont know what their spell list is like though so that might not work :smalltongue: )

Captain Caveman
2011-07-08, 01:58 AM
I say don't give yourself too many undead traits at all. If your opponents all expect to be fighting undead they will be armed to the tooth in things that hurt undead more. So that way all his encounters really don't hurt you that much and he'll be sitting there going, "man, I should have let them be cool undead thingies so I could hurt them."

acheronavernus
2011-07-08, 02:02 AM
yeah, i think i will do exactly that shadowknight :smalltongue:

Rei_Jin
2011-07-08, 02:10 AM
I love the flavour of the Black Flame Zealot, and they get the Death Attack ability. You could get into it as a Ninja/Cleric, and then it would advance your Clerical casting rather than giving you limited Assassin spells.

Eventually, they can immolate the remains of their victims, so that they're nigh impossible to return to life. That's the sort of thing that screams awesome to me.

acheronavernus
2011-07-08, 02:13 AM
yeah true captain caveman. i might even just be human (to avoid both the necropolitains level adjustment and the aforementioned undead weaknesses) but just have undead features as per the dread necro multiclassing, which kind of defeats the purpose of being undead anyway, as its a transformative class into a lich.

acheronavernus
2011-07-08, 02:16 AM
thats does sound awesome Rei Jin, and yeah i was kind of leaning away from prestiging into assassin anyway, because their spells are both limited, and dont really apply to the undead theme