PDA

View Full Version : Mixing League of Legends and D&D

ArcanistSupreme
2011-07-08, 06:13 PM
I know a lot of the mechanics don't translate very well, but I'm curious about how the various League of Legends champions would be statted up in a D&D 3.5/3.P world. Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions in case I ever want to run a game based on the LoL lore?

rainstorm
2011-07-08, 06:25 PM
How would you even do such a thing? It would take forever just to do one round with champions, turrets, and all the minion attacks.

Terazul
2011-07-08, 06:27 PM
Someone gave it a shot (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175658) awhile back.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-07-08, 06:27 PM
I'm mostly interested in statting up the champions; I don't really care about the turrets or creeps. For example, Katarina might be some kind of Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade focusing on shadow hand abilities for the shadow jump.

EDIT:

Someone gave it a shot (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175658) awhile back.

Mere words cannot express my gratitude. You have my thanks. However, I would still be interested in seeing champions not homebrewed in that thread, especially if it can be done with official WotC material.

Captain Caveman
2011-07-08, 06:30 PM
Well some of them are pretty obvious. Like Gangplank I would make swashbuckler/dread pirate. Ashe any elven archer with an icy bow. Alistar a minotaur barbarian. Teemo a range rogue with good hide and trapsmithing.

My suggestion in this concept would be to not over think everything. Don't be focused on getting every ability that every character has on a D&D character. Just make sure you get the overall concept and lore of the character down.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-07-08, 06:38 PM
Well some of them are pretty obvious. Like Gangplank I would make swashbuckler/dread pirate. Ashe any elven archer with an icy bow. Alistar a minotaur barbarian. Teemo a range rogue with good hide and trapsmithing.

My suggestion in this concept would be to not over think everything. Don't be focused on getting every ability that every character has on a D&D character. Just make sure you get the overall concept and lore of the character down.

Yeah, but overthinking is half the fun :smallbiggrin:

opticalshadow
2011-07-08, 06:45 PM
honestly i wouldnt try a second to translate lol into dnd as it stands.

i would homebrew each character and its abilities to mnake it fit dnd rules, then attacth them to similure classes. in essence modify classes to become teh champion. to level up either homebrew more abilities, or use the given ingame metrials to become vlass features, eventually making each champion its own homebrew class.

i would do things like this for bbeg's or particular hard encounters, lots of inspiration, you just need to have good hombrew ideas for balence.

Captain Caveman
2011-07-08, 06:48 PM
well in that case my main suggestion is look at Tomb of Battle for any AD carry character.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-07-08, 07:46 PM
honestly i wouldnt try a second to translate lol into dnd as it stands.

i would homebrew each character and its abilities to mnake it fit dnd rules, then attacth them to similure classes. in essence modify classes to become teh champion. to level up either homebrew more abilities, or use the given ingame metrials to become vlass features, eventually making each champion its own homebrew class.

i would do things like this for bbeg's or particular hard encounters, lots of inspiration, you just need to have good hombrew ideas for balence.

I don't think it's really that hard. Yeah, you're going to have way more than four abilities no matter what, but you could still grab most of what makes any champion unique. Maybe grab boomerang daze and use an aptitude bow for Ashe, or a minotaur Psywar/Ardent with the knockback feat for Alistar. It doesn't have to be perfect since that would obviously be impossible, but I'd like to see how others would do it.

Fenryr
2011-07-09, 12:10 AM
Garen. Whirwlind Attack and Spring Attack at the same time?

If anyone manages to make Shen, it would be awesome.

EternalMelon
2011-07-09, 12:31 AM
Oooh, ooh! Love this idea! I made Kayle a while back as a RKW with create flame. I'll see if I can dig out the sheet. Oh and if anyone makes Singed, a thousand kitty pictures will be placed on your soul.

dgnslyr
2011-07-09, 01:11 AM
Well, he leaves a Stinking Cloud wherever he goes, possibly through a Smoking weapon, liberally throws Tanglefoot Bags, pumps himself up with buffs (in potion form), and throws people around with Mighty Throw. Sound about right?

Socratov
2011-07-09, 07:34 AM
Brand is obviously a hellfire warlock (blast shape invocations +brimstoneblast+hellfire dmg anyone?)

Morph Bark
2011-07-09, 08:32 AM
For the first half of the alphabet:

Akali: Ninja with kama (those are listed in the DMG, right?), smoke bombs and something to remove attack of opportunity on a charge (her dash).
Alistar: minotaur Dungeoncrasher Fighter.
Amumu: ???
Anivia: cold-focused Raptoran Warmage.
Annie: a fire-based blaster sorcerer with some summoning spells for summoning a fiendish bear.
Ashe: standard elven Ranger with frost bow and hawk animal companion, Rapid Shot and Many Shot.
Blitzcrank: whirling frenzy Lion Totem Barbarian/Swordsage Warforged with maneuvers for pulling others in and electricity-swapped Desert Wind maneuvers.
Brand: fire evocation/transmutation-focused sorcerer or hellfire warlock. Magma Genasi.
Caitlyn: Scout with a Renaissance-era rifle (DMG, page... 140 or so?), a net and maxed Craft (trapmaking).
Cassiopeia: half-yuan-ti medusa with poison bombs?
Cho'Gath: ???
Corki: ???
Dr. Mundo: something with Fast Healing and poisoned daggers that he likes to throw.
Evelynn: something with Ninja levels?
Ezreal: a Monk with Ki Blasts?
Fiddlesticks: Shadowsun Ninja adapted into a caster PrC for a Dread Necromancer?
Galio: ???
Gangplank: Human rogue/assassin/dread pirate with Renaissance-era pistol.
Garen: Warblade focusing on Iron Heart and Tiger Claw, maybe with Whirlwind/Spring Attack for good measure.
Gragas: Monk/Drunken Master with a lot of alchemist's fire.
Heimerdinger: Gnome Artificer.
Irelia: TWF build Human with an item of freedom of movement.
Janna: sorcerer focusing on Air spells and haste.
Jarvan IV: Tiger Claw Warblade/Marshal.
Jax: his innate suggests some Crusader... but other than that I got nothing.
Karthus: necromancy-focused Lich sorcerer.
Kassadin: ???
Katarina: TWF dagger rogue/assassin.
Kayle: Crusader all the way.
Kennen: scout/sorcerer focusing on electricity spells and haste.
Kog'Maw: ???
LeBlanc:
Lee Sin: he is a blind MONK. DERP. (Swordsage/Shadowsun Ninja.)
Lux: LASER CLERIC FAVOURED SOUL.
Malphite: Stone Dragon-focused Crusader.
Malzahar: ???
Maokai: Treebeard.
Master Yi: Iaijutsu Focus Factotum + Lion Totem Barbarian = WTF Samurai?
Miss Fortune: TWFing pistol rogue.
Mordekaiser: Evil Crusader.
Morgana: Half-Fiend Sorcerer focusing on battlefield control spells.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-07-09, 06:19 PM
I like. Commentary time!

Spoilered for length:

For the first half of the alphabet:

Akali: Ninja with kama (those are listed in the DMG, right?), smoke bombs and something to remove attack of opportunity on a charge (her dash).Mobility and or Spring Attack seem like musts.

Alistar: minotaur Dungeoncrasher Fighter. But he has to get those heals somehow, which is why I went with Ardent. Maybe work tripping in there to represent the knock-up?

Amumu: ??? I'd go with a Necropolitan gnome to go with the gnome=yordle theme, but I'm as lost as you are beyond that.

Anivia: cold-focused Raptoran Warmagesorcerer. The wall and slow aspects are such a crucial part of her gameplay, and I don't think that a Warmage can easily duplicate that.

Annie: a fire-based blaster sorcerer with some summoning spells for summoning a fiendish bear.
Ashe: standard elven Ranger with frost bow and hawk animal companion, Rapid Shot and Many Shot.
Wow. Simple, yet elegant and fitting the characters to the letter. Nice.

Blitzcrank: whirling frenzy Lion Totem Barbarian/Swordsage Warforged with maneuvers for pulling others in and electricity-swapped Desert Wind maneuvers.
Looks good, but what maneuver pulls somebody to you?

Brand: fire evocation/transmutation-focused sorcerer or hellfire warlock. Magma Genasi.
Caitlyn: Scout with a Renaissance-era rifle (DMG, page... 140 or so?), a net and maxed Craft (trapmaking).
Cassiopeia: half-yuan-ti medusa with poison bombs? Again, perfect.

Cho'Gath: ??? I feel like Savage Species should be involved here, but I have no clue as to how.

Corki: ??? I'd go with a gish with spells similar to faerie fire and dimension stride. Orb spells would also be good.

Dr. Mundo: something with Fast Healing and poisoned daggers that he likes to throw. Barbarian/Warshaper (somehow)/Master Thrower?

Evelynn: something with Ninja levels? Or a Rogue/Assassin with a wand of invisibility. Not sure how to get her double attack thing though...

Ezreal: a Monk with Ki Blasts? Ew. How about Swordsage with a dash of Warlock?

Fiddlesticks: Shadowsun Ninja adapted into a caster PrC for a Dread Necromancer? Now we're venturing into homebrew, but I like the Dread Necro chassis.

Galio: ??? He's a gargoyle! But a gargoyle what I don't know. Cleric or something else castery I suspect.

Gangplank: Human rogue/assassin/dread pirate with Renaissance-era pistol. He needs caster levels or an item for his ultimate.

Garen: Warblade focusing on Iron Heart and Tiger Claw, maybe with Whirlwind/Spring Attack for good measure.The mageslayer line of feats would also fit with his silence attack.

Gragas: Monk/Drunken Master with a lot of alchemist's fire. I would go a totally different direction with this. Battlefield control is his specialty, and neither of those classes accomplish that well.

Heimerdinger: Gnome Artificer.
That was easy.

Irelia: TWF build Human with an item of freedom of movement. Also good, but a little too vague. Maybe Psychic Warrior with psionic lion's charge or whatever it's called? And is she really TWFing or is she just wielding a bunch of swords with her mind? Sounds like Master of the Unseen Hand to me.

Janna: sorcerer focusing on Air spells and haste. Excellent.

Jarvan IV: Tiger Claw Warblade/Marshal. I would go Crusader over Warblade. Jarvan is all about disruption and battlefield lockdown, which the Crusader excels at.

Jax: his innate suggests some Crusader... but other than that I got nothing. Hmm. I got more nothing than you. Then again, I've never played Jax.

Karma: ???Seems like something psionic should work just because she has the option to augment all of her abilities. Ardent with very careful mantle selection?

Karthus: necromancy-focused Lich sorcerer. Make sure you pick up apocalypse from the sky or whatever that spell is that does massive damage over a huge area.

Kassadin: ??? Swordsage/Assassin with the PF mindblade feats might do well.

Katarina: TWF dagger rogue/assassin. Needs some Swordsage or Martial Study to get those Shadow Hand teleport maneuvers. Master Thrower is also a must.

Kayle: Crusader all the way. But what about her Q? And her speed buff? Maybe some Psion?

Kennen: scout/sorcerer focusing on electricity spells and haste.I'll buy it.

Kog'Maw: ??? ??? indeed.

LeBlanc: I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier, but illusionist wizard with abrupt jaunt ACF and spells from the dimension door line (perhaps twincasted) is pretty obvious.

Lee Sin: he is a blind MONK. DERP. (Swordsage/Shadowsun Ninja.)
Lux: LASER CLERIC FAVOURED SOUL.
Malphite: Stone Dragon-focused Crusader. These all look great.

Malzahar: ???Ummmmm, yeah I got nothing.

Maokai: Treebeard.
Master Yi: Iaijutsu Focus Factotum + Lion Totem Barbarian = WTF Samurai?Looks good, but Yi needs a way to heal himself. Maybe draconic aura for that Dragon Shaman aura that fast heals you to half health?

Miss Fortune: TWFing pistol rogue.
Mordekaiser: Evil Crusader.
Morgana: Half-Fiend Sorcerer focusing on battlefield control spells.

These look good, although I feel like Mordekaiser could be developed a little more. Can we agree that he's probably a warforged?

Morph Bark
2011-07-09, 06:42 PM
I like. Commentary time!

Thanks! Admittably, I have played very few champions (actually, 90% of the time, I play Teemo; I am dead serious), but the people I play with switch around more and the wiki is helpful.

But he has to get those heals somehow, which is why I went with Ardent. Maybe work tripping in there to represent the knock-up?

Hmm... Dungeoncrasher Fighter 6/Ardent 3/Psionic Gish PrC X? I don't know if there is a knock-up class ability or feat, but I have seen monsters with such abilities and those were a kind of trip + knockback. Knockback fits with Dungeoncrasher's abilities already, so Improved Trip fits.

The wall and slow aspects are such a crucial part of her gameplay, and I don't think that a Warmage can easily duplicate that.

Looks good, but what maneuver pulls somebody to you?

On both these things, I figured the Warmage, due to evocation, had some fitting wall spells, and that there is a maneuver that pulls people to you. Otherwise, spiked chain + Mighty Throw could emulate it.

I'd go with a gish with spells similar to faerie fire and dimension stride. Orb spells would also be good.

Considering I have no idea of Corki's abilities and how they work besides hating his rain of bullets (greater magic missile?), I will take your word on it.

Barbarian/Warshaper (somehow)/Master Thrower?

Barbarian 1/Wildshape Ranger 5, perhaps then.

Or a Rogue/Assassin with a wand of invisibility. Not sure how to get her double attack thing though...

If you mean Hate Spike, that had me stuck as well.

Ew. How about Swordsage with a dash of Warlock?

Probably better, yeah.

Now we're venturing into homebrew, but I like the Dread Necro chassis.

The only other way I could see him dealing damage and healing himself at the same time would be through the Vampiric Touch spell, or a weapon with a similar enchant.

He's a gargoyle! But a gargoyle what I don't know. Cleric or something else castery I suspect.

Gargoyle was obvious, but the rest I was stuck on... if he has something castery, he prolly has the Goad feat too. Otherwise I might've gone for Crusader again.

He needs caster levels or an item for his ultimate.

I figured that would just be an Eberron airship with his crew firing at the target after he messaged them through an item. He gets Leadership through Dread Pirate after all.

The mageslayer line of feats would also fit with his silence attack.

Oh, definitely!

I would go a totally different direction with this. Battlefield control is his specialty, and neither of those classes accomplish that well.

Tripping Monk could do it, but not in the same way, I guess.

Also good, but a little too vague. Maybe Psychic Warrior with psionic lion's charge or whatever it's called? And is she really TWFing or is she just wielding a bunch of swords with her mind? Sounds like Master of the Unseen Hand to me.

She doesn't seem castery enough for MotUH, but Psychic Warrior fits.

I would go Crusader over Warblade. Jarvan is all about disruption and battlefield lockdown, which the Crusader excels at.

Dunno about disruption, but lockdown I'll give you. Isn't that only his ultimate though? Granted, Crusader synergizes better with Marshal as well.

Seems like something psionic should work just because she has the option to augment all of her abilities. Ardent with very careful mantle selection?

Perfect.

Needs some Swordsage or Martial Study to get those Shadow Hand teleport maneuvers. Master Thrower is also a must.

Does Psychic Rogue have teleportation powers? If not, Swordsage gets in.

But what about her Q? And her speed buff? Maybe some Psion?

I was thinking about her speed buff, then after that I thought "I don't want too many sorcerers who spam haste". Hence that.

I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier, but illusionist wizard with abrupt jaunt ACF and spells from the dimension door line (perhaps twincasted) is pretty obvious.

Genius.

Looks good, but Yi needs a way to heal himself. Maybe draconic aura for that Dragon Shaman aura that fast heals you to half health?

I figure that would just be a wand in a wand chamber in his katana.

These look good, although I feel like Mordekaiser could be developed a little more. Can we agree that he's probably a warforged?

It's a possibility, I suppose. I would have gone moreso for something with Powerful Build probably.

Terazul
2011-07-09, 06:48 PM
Don't have commentary on all of those, but a few ideas:

Eh. I'd skip Iaijutsu Focus on Yi; He's far more about autoattacking the crap out of you. Whirling Frenzy Lion Totem Barbarian! Grab a Shadow Hand teleport with feats for Alpha Strike (Or just use one of the many ToB variants people have thrown together and toss it in there in general). Dunno about the heal though.

Akali is totally a Swordsage.
Evelynn I'd peg as a Rogue with Ambush feats.
Ezreal could go Soulbow, or one of the Wacky Arcane Ranger gishes.
Malz could just straight Psion with Astral Construct for his minion buddies and a couple Kineticist powers tossed in.

For alot of the wacky things I think some splashes of psionics can cover it.

kardar233
2011-07-09, 06:51 PM
Alistar needs levels in War Hulk.

And Tryndamere is a Frenzied Berserker.

Olaf? Not sure if there are any ways to increase your damage by hurting yourself, but maybe dip some PsyWar/War Mind to get Vampiric Weapon?

ArcanistSupreme
2011-07-09, 07:02 PM
Don't have commentary on all of those, but a few ideas:

Eh. I'd skip Iaijutsu Focus on Yi; He's far more about autoattacking the crap out of you. Whirling Frenzy Lion Totem Barbarian! Grab a Shadow Hand teleport with feats for Alpha Strike (Or just use one of the many ToB variants people have thrown together and toss it in there in general). Dunno about the heal though.

Akali is totally a Swordsage.
Evelynn I'd peg as a Rogue with Ambush feats.
Ezreal could go Soulbow, or one of the Wacky Arcane Ranger gishes.
Malz could just straight Psion with Astral Construct for his minion buddies and a couple Kineticist powers tossed in.

For alot of the wacky things I think some splashes of psionics can cover it.

Yeah, psionics is great. Oh! And inertial armor fits super well with Morde's shield. I like it.

Alistar needs levels in War Hulk.

And Tryndamere is a Frenzied Berserker.

Olaf? Not sure if there are any ways to increase your damage by hurting yourself, but maybe dip some PsyWar/War Mind to get Vampiric Weapon?

Why does Alistar need War Hulk levels?

But good call on Tryndamere. He is most definitely a Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker with that crappy feat that heals you when you rage. How do we squeeze in the mocking shout? Knights have to be lawful don't they?

And Olaf is for sure a Psichic Warrior with access to a freedom of movement item. Nice.

Captain Caveman
2011-07-09, 08:39 PM
every single character comes standard with a ring of blink for that stupid flash ability.

CrashTestGenius
2011-07-09, 08:40 PM
every single character comes standard with a ring of blink for that stupid flash ability.

Good GOD! Flash should die a horrible death... hatred!

ArcanistSupreme
2011-07-09, 10:33 PM

:smallbiggrin:

kardar233
2011-07-09, 11:38 PM
You mean a Ring of Dimension Door or something. Blink doesn't send you places, it just phases you in and out of reality.

Alistar being a War Hulk? Well, for Pulverize you can grab Stunning Fist and use the War Hulk's "hit everything you threaten" ability to stun an area around you. He's Large size, so everything in 10ft. Sounds good. Plus the whole, y'know, massively strong bit. Now we just need to give him levels in Dungeoncrasher Fighter, either grab Martial Study or dip Warblade for Iron Heart Surge to be the first part of Unstoppable Force. Only thing we need from there is his AoE heal which can be done through Crusader or whatever you like, and some way to massively reduce damage taken. Maybe Adamantium Bones for DR20/Adamantium? Relates Adamantium to True Damage nicely.

Oh! Olaf as a Psionic character works really well as he can use Overchannel/Body Fuel to take damage and use those PP/extra ML to buff his next attack. Close enough to Reckless Swing. Dip Warblade for Whirling Blade to be Undertow.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-07-10, 09:02 AM
You mean a Ring of Dimension Door or something. Blink doesn't send you places, it just phases you in and out of reality.

Alistar being a War Hulk? Well, for Pulverize you can grab Stunning Fist and use the War Hulk's "hit everything you threaten" ability to stun an area around you. He's Large size, so everything in 10ft. Sounds good. Plus the whole, y'know, massively strong bit. Now we just need to give him levels in Dungeoncrasher Fighter, either grab Martial Study or dip Warblade for Iron Heart Surge to be the first part of Unstoppable Force. Only thing we need from there is his AoE heal which can be done through Crusader or whatever you like, and some way to massively reduce damage taken. Maybe Adamantium Bones for DR20/Adamantium? Relates Adamantium to True Damage nicely.

Maybe a ring of dimension stride that can be activated as an immediate action, is usable 3/day, and doesn't require line of effect?

So Alistar would be something like a Minoutaur 8/Crusader 1/DC Fighter 2/Crusader 1/DC Fighter 2/Crusader 1/DC Fighter 2/Crusader 1/War Hulk 2 focusing on Stone Dragon Maneuvers. Hmmm. I don't really like how late DC fighter comes online, though, since 8d6 is pretty easy to get with maneuvers, so I might swap it out for more Crusader just so you can get access to 8th level maneuvers at level 20.

So how about Minotaur 8/Crusader 9/War Hulk 2/Crusader 1? Run around with Mountain Avalanche, Rallying Strike, Adamantine Bones, White Raven Hammer, Doom/Radiant Charge, and Irresistible Mountain Strike (Assuming that's all legal) and go to town. His ult is probably best represented by items+delayed damage pool since DR 20/Adamantine isn't great as a level 8 maneuver.

EDIT: Except this build doesn't really work. So maybe take out the War Hulk and add more Crusader? The multi-attack can be kind of duplicated by Earthstrike Quake anyway.

whitefang1987
2013-05-12, 01:50 AM
I know that this forum has been going on for a while, but i recently just signed up and had some input on this topic. I have been working on a game design for a while based around each champion and tried to build them using the 3.5 format but it was impossible as it does not allow for certain things to happen. So staying with-in the rules I created classes for each character and turned there spells in the game into spells in 3.5. For example I took ashes second ability and turn it into a full round attack hitting everyone that is not concealed friend or foe as in 3.5 arrows cant just go through things. You woud hae to make a attack against each one. They would take cold damage on top of regular damage. Now this attack can only be used once per combat and depending on what level they were told how strong the spell was. It may seem difficult to understand, but the party I ran it for really like the campaign and enjoyed having to face different champions as I made it there goal to retrieve them and bring them to the kings to fight in the arena. Instead of building the field and going nuts trying to keep up it was there job to go and get the champions so hey could battle in the arena.

whitefang1987
2013-05-12, 01:52 AM
Also I should say I can post a example of what one of my characters outline would be like and also that they are only to be used as a NPC for if you allow someone to play the class i built for the champions it would be overpowering as it took somewhere around 4-6 people just to capture them.

Averis Vol
2013-05-12, 02:24 AM
First of all, thread necromancy is bad.

Can't help but chime in that I have my main man Wukong built for an upcoming 3.P game. He's a Vanaran Barbarian 1/ warlock 6/warblade 5 at the moment. His main schtick is the invocation that casts dimension door and leaves a clone of you where you were. Exorcism of steel kinda works for crushing strike, nimbus dash is the lion totem level, sub optimally choosing to strike more than one enemy. I haven't been able to come up with his ult besides whirlwind and trip, but I'm hoping not to have to take whirlwind, cus, you know.

It's bad.