PDA

View Full Version : Hipster Players

Admiral Squish
2011-07-08, 09:02 PM
Have any of you ever had/been that player who trots out some obscure publication every time it comes to make a character?

Amnestic
2011-07-08, 09:09 PM
I suppose that really depends on your definition of "obscure". Some people might consider...Champions of Valour obscure, others any material from Dragon Magazine (possibly excepting Dragon Compendium), while yet more may not consider any source obscure. :smalltongue:

kharmakazy
2011-07-08, 09:11 PM
Pssh. Dragon magazine is so mainstream. I roll classes I found written on bathroom stalls.

DeadManSleeping
2011-07-08, 09:12 PM
Some people might consider...Champions of Valour obscure

...I would be one of those. I had to look that up.

Amnestic
2011-07-08, 09:16 PM
...I would be one of those. I had to look that up.

Please don't misunderstand, it wasn't a knock on people who do find such books obscure. :smalltongue: Just that people have different amounts of splatbook knowledge and 'obscure' is subjective to each individual. Nothin' wrong with that.

TOZ
2011-07-08, 09:20 PM
Metal Elf (http://www.amazon.com/Bow-Blade-Guidebook-Elves-Renown/dp/1932442030) Lasserator Monk (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=18207&it=1) is pretty obscure.

HappyBlanket
2011-07-08, 09:25 PM
Hipster players don't play Clerics. They play Binders. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197133)

Roland St. Jude
2011-07-08, 09:25 PM
I suppose that really depends on your definition of "obscure". Some people might consider...Champions of Valour obscure...Somehow I read this as Champions of Velour. Hipsters indeed.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-07-08, 09:29 PM
I was into the undead when they were still underground.

Big Fau
2011-07-08, 09:48 PM
Have any of you ever had/been that player who trots out some obscure publication every time it comes to make a character?

I don't think you are using Hipster correctly…

That sounds more like Punk.

Shadowknight12
2011-07-08, 09:51 PM
Having no clue what a hipster is, I can't comment. Obscure is fine. It adds variety to the game.

IthroZada
2011-07-08, 09:55 PM

One of the iconic hipster sentences is, "Oh, listening to this band. I doubt you've heard of them, they're pretty obscure."

HappyBlanket
2011-07-08, 10:01 PM

Punk is more "rebel without a cause." Hipsters indulge in the obscure for it's own sake. They're both Scenesters though; Scenesteratti Punkus and Scenesteratti Hipstacus respectively.

Lonely Tylenol
2011-07-08, 10:24 PM
"What do you mean, I can't play a Dread Necromancer/Eidoloncer gestalt who lives through controlled undead"?

Or more hipster than that?

Gnome Alone
2011-07-08, 11:16 PM
Pssh. Dragon magazine is so mainstream. I roll classes I found written on bathroom stalls.

Man, that's funny. I especially like picturing someone drawing out the class features chart and everything on the stall while sitting on the toilet. Good times, good times.

Geigan
2011-07-08, 11:26 PM
In an attempt to confuse our DM as much as possible our group's players all played classes that had never been done in our group before. I was so happy to introduce Tome of Battle, Magic of Incarnum, and Dragon Magazine Compendium to the group with the same character.:smallsmile: Other players included a lurk/ebon saint, a beastmaster, and a noctumancer.

Not really all that obscure, but it was for most of us.

Cespenar
2011-07-09, 01:00 AM
If everything is obscure, nothing can be.

Admiral Squish
2011-07-09, 01:09 AM
If everything is obscure, nothing can be.

Freakin' Syndrome... (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/540)

ImperatorK
2011-07-09, 01:14 AM
I was into undead when they where still alive. :smalltongue:

BillyBobJoe
2011-07-09, 01:15 AM

... I could so see Tsukiko saying this.

Cespenar
2011-07-09, 01:18 AM
Freakin' Syndrome... (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/540)

Aw, man. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DontExplainTheJoke?from=Main.ptitle0t9r68ih) :smalltongue:

Admiral Squish
2011-07-09, 01:28 AM
Aw, man. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DontExplainTheJoke?from=Main.ptitle0t9r68ih) :smalltongue:

In my defense, anything that further spreads awareness of MGDMT is a plus.

Cespenar
2011-07-09, 01:36 AM
In my defense, anything that further spreads awareness of MGDMT is a plus.

That's a pretty solid argument. I'm sold.

Arbane
2011-07-09, 01:39 AM
Man, that's funny. I especially like picturing someone drawing out the class features chart and everything on the stall while sitting on the toilet. Good times, good times.

And they'd probably STILL be better proofread than some official sourcebooks. :smallannoyed:

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-09, 01:59 AM
Back in my day, hipsters all listened to jazz! And we liked it, we liked it just fine!

Through I must admit, I would try to challenge people to publish their homebrew in a unique setting, but I imagine it would be somewhat illegal, even if it is a notch above bad poetry or drawings of genitalia.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-09, 02:08 AM
Metal Elf (http://www.amazon.com/Bow-Blade-Guidebook-Elves-Renown/dp/1932442030) Lasserator Monk (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=18207&it=1) is pretty obscure.

That's not obscure, that's 3rd party!
Hissssssss. Boooooooo

I often confuse 3rd party with obscure though, I thought last week that complete guide to the drow was just obscure when it's 3rd party.

Malimar
2011-07-09, 02:26 AM

One of the iconic hipster sentences is, "Oh, listening to this band. I doubt you've heard of them, they're pretty obscure."

Punk is more "rebel without a cause." Hipsters indulge in the obscure for it's own sake. They're both Scenesters though; Scenesteratti Punkus and Scenesteratti Hipstacus respectively.

I thought I got the joke nobody else did, then I consulted Wikipedia and there apparently isn't a punk band called "Obscure". Now I'm sad because I laughed at a joke that wasn't there and didn't make sense. :smallfrown:

Ravens_cry
2011-07-09, 02:33 AM
Well, books are expensive, and if you put in the investment to buy them, you probably want a chance to use them. After all, unless you are a collector, that is likely why you bought the book.

Ozreth
2011-07-09, 02:53 AM
Meh, gamers are scenesters, condescending, obscure, introverted, etc etc etc. At least at face value. We are all doing the same thing is this thread that we are lamenting "hipsters" for doing.

Morph Bark
2011-07-09, 07:19 AM
That's a pretty solid argument. I'm sold.

Man, now that you've sold out, it's like I don't even know you anymore...

Ravens_cry
2011-07-09, 07:26 AM
Meh, gamers are scenesters, condescending, obscure, introverted, etc etc etc. At least at face value. We are all doing the same thing is this thread that we are lamenting "hipsters" for doing.
Hipsters is a silly term anyway. Sure, liking something just because it is obscure is a little silly, after all, maybe it is obscure because it is crap, but who hasn't had a little thrill at finding something you did not know existed before and finding you like it?

Cespenar
2011-07-09, 07:33 AM
Man, now that you've sold out, it's like I don't even know you anymore...

I liked my old self better as well, before I was liking my old self.

SITB
2011-07-09, 08:22 AM
Hipsters is a silly term anyway. Sure, liking something just because it is obscure is a little silly, after all, maybe it is obscure because it is crap, but who hasn't had a little thrill at finding something you did not know existed before and finding you like it?

I thought part of being Hipster involves being condescending or elitist?

DeadManSleeping
2011-07-09, 08:28 AM
I thought part of being Hipster involves being condescending or elitist?

Maybe with your pedestrian definition, I suppose.

:smalltongue:

Om
2011-07-09, 08:29 AM
I thought part of being Hipster involves being condescending or elitist?Depends on who's doing the defining. But then I've yet to encounter a sub-culture that didn't have its own elitists. I'm sure that you can spot more than a few on this forum alone

HappyBlanket
2011-07-09, 08:33 AM
There really should be a encyclopedia for these kinds of things.

Wings of Peace
2011-07-09, 08:37 AM
I drag out material from the Diablerie from time to time. I don't think my players CAN get hipster on me unless they start asking permission to use the PHB to be ironic.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-09, 08:40 AM
Depends on who's doing the defining. But then I've yet to encounter a sub-culture that didn't have its own elitists. I'm sure that you can spot more than a few on this forum alone
Thank, pretty much what I was going to say.:smallsmile:

SITB
2011-07-09, 09:07 AM
Depends on who's doing the defining. But then I've yet to encounter a sub-culture that didn't have its own elitists. I'm sure that you can spot more than a few on this forum alone

But then what does Hipster means? I thought It meant liking niche/obscure things because they are niche/obscure and thus better. If you change it to simply liking a few niche/obscure things it only means being non-conformist.

I guess, I'm merely annoyned by the word either being overly broad or nigh-useless.

Knaight
2011-07-09, 09:11 AM
But then what does Hipster means? I thought It meant liking niche/obscure things because they are niche/obscure and thus better.

That would be it. This doesn't necessarily mean there is the appearance of elitism. There is a huge difference between; for instance, making a claim that popular culture's system of rewarding music isn't based on in depth analysis as the basic purpose of music within a larger culture is background, and thus that popular music must be distrusted*; and stating that you are better than the people in modern culture, and your tastes are thus better than theirs, and you like the obscure stuff because it hasn't been sullied by their filthy plebeian hands.

*Its not an argument that really stands up to scrutiny, but it at least has some validity to it.

SITB
2011-07-09, 09:13 AM
That would be it. This doesn't necessarily mean there is the appearance of elitism. There is a huge difference between; for instance, making a claim that popular culture's system of rewarding music isn't based on in depth analysis as the basic purpose of music within a larger culture is background, and thus that popular music must be distrusted*; and stating that you are better than the people in modern culture, and your tastes are thus better than theirs, and you like the obscure stuff because it hasn't been sullied by their filthy plebeian hands.

*Its not an argument that really stands up to scrutiny, but it at least has some validity to it.

But the former isn't liking things becasue they are niche, it's liking good things that happen to be niche because the Man is screwing the little guy.

The Glyphstone
2011-07-09, 09:15 AM
I was posting in this thread before it went mainstream.

Knaight
2011-07-09, 09:17 AM
But the former isn't liking things becasue they are niche, it's liking good things that happen to be niche because the Man is screwing the little guy.

The former is liking things that are niche, and merely providing a reason to do so. A reason that doesn't stand up to scrutiny in most cases to begin with. However, it isn't elitist, where the second case is to a horrible extent.

SITB
2011-07-09, 09:21 AM
The former is liking things that are niche, and merely providing a reason to do so. A reason that doesn't stand up to scrutiny in most cases to begin with. However, it isn't elitist, where the second case is to a horrible extent.

So Hipster are latter day Hippes, that like niche thing because the Man don't screw those up?

hangedman1984
2011-07-09, 11:54 AM
I thought I got the joke nobody else did, then I consulted Wikipedia and there apparently isn't a punk band called "Obscure". Now I'm sad because I laughed at a joke that wasn't there and didn't make sense. :smallfrown:

i used to be into the band obscure, back before you made them up

SlashRunner
2011-07-09, 11:59 AM

Tis official...I'm now rolling a Bard who claims he's in a band called Obscure. They're not very mainstream, you probably haven't heard of them.

Tyndmyr
2011-07-09, 12:42 PM
I have a hipster player. He arrives dressed in flannel and a trucker hat. He's heard of that really obscure band you referenced, but believes that " their first album was so much better than their first album". He insisted on calling my bard Jay Beebs and heckling him for selling out.

Filthy hipsters.

Ormur
2011-07-09, 01:34 PM
One of my players/DM is very much a "hipster" player according to the OP, he didn't think Champions of Valour was particularly obscure, almost mainstream hah.

Since making fun of hipsters and arguing about what that means I'd like to share my views on that as someone that might conceivably fall under someone's definition of one.

I guess the term gets applied to people that dress a certain way (thrift store bought, skinny jeans, ironically tasteless) listen to certain types of music (indie and obscure or perceived as having more artists merit than most pop) and have a certain attitude. It's not a very coherent group because all sorts of music is obscure and it's not very useful to say it's just liking obscure music because most subcultures are defined by liking obscure music.

Hipster is what people that didn't like most popular called themselves ironically because earnestly describing yourself as one is acknowledging that you only like things because they're obscure and that's just pathetic. Musical tastes are influenced by the people you associate with but most "hipsters" must honestly not have found mainstream tastes to their liking, it's just a matter of taste, not everyone likes the same kind of music. On top of that you have self-conscious acknowledgment of mostly liking obscure things or liking things ironically because sometimes things do get silly (and there are insufferable musical elitists) and preemptively making fun of that is a good way to shield yourself from ridicule. The term hipster wasn't a self-identifier but a self-conscious joke about the things that actually united people in their anti-mainstream tastes.

If that sounds complicated it's because the idendity of a subculture that's united in not liking conformity is always going to be a bit conflicted. I think most people that could be identified as hipsters have stopped being hung up about liking obscure things but by then hipster jokes had gotten mainstream. :smallwink:

Maybe I'm just such a hipster but I don't find hipster jokes removed from their original context very funny, especially not after hearing them for the better part of a decade. I've also seen some that took a nasty turn towards homophobia.

Admiral Squish
2011-07-09, 01:37 PM
Felt I had to share. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMwMKM0pHug)

kharmakazy
2011-07-09, 01:52 PM
My warblade only uses mountain hammer and insightful strike utilizing scrolls as weapons. He'll stab through your skull or bust down an adamantine door using rolled up vellum.

Melee weapons are so last season.

The scrolls don't have spells on them because spells are so mainstream. The scrolls actually have poetry on them that I transcribed while listening to a deaf, mute, awakened dandelion bard. He's probably never heard of you.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-07-09, 05:17 PM
But then what does Hipster means? I thought It meant liking niche/obscure things because they are niche/obscure and thus better. If you change it to simply liking a few niche/obscure things it only means being non-conformist.

I guess, I'm merely annoyned by the word either being overly broad or nigh-useless.

The problem with the term hipster is really that it's a term used to define people. And there great variation within cultures. If I was to attempt a definition, I'd say hipsters are people who feel current mainstream culture is too processed and insincere, and thus search for things that are obscure and therefor untouched by the mainstream. Fashion and music are the big ones: they select the music by independent labels (or artists without labels) and tend to like folk-like music for it's simple down to earth style. They accept other things only when they're used in unique ways. Fashion wise I have no idea what's going on. I asked once but I didn't really get it.

Of course, these are gross generalizations. Because it's people.

Also, my players all use obscure source-books, when the situation calls for it.

vartan
2011-07-09, 09:26 PM
I thought of this:

http://www.obviouswinner.com/storage/post-images/hipster-gandalf.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=12973138104 87

Shadowknight12
2011-07-09, 09:32 PM
Wait guys, is it a bad thing to be a hipster? :smallconfused:

Xtomjames
2011-07-09, 09:33 PM
While the term is being misused, I am most certainly a "hipster". I'm the kind of person who will read through all the books I have pull together the bits and pieces I want out of each of them and build my character. Most of my DM's hate me for this. But when you have a Duskling Half-Dragon Warlock Artificer gestalted with an Incarnate Psion it gets a bit messy.

stainboy
2011-07-09, 10:25 PM

Back when I did the whole punk thing, I had a leather jacket with a bunch of crap drawn on the back that wasn't a band logo but really looked like it. Skull in an Uncle Sam hat surrounded by some illegible text, and sort of a collage of legally and morally deplorable activities in the background.

People occasionally asked me what band it was. I said I liked their first album but the recording quality on their new stuff was too high.

TOZ
2011-07-09, 10:45 PM
That's not obscure, that's 3rd party!
Hissssssss. Boooooooo

I often confuse 3rd party with obscure though, I thought last week that complete guide to the drow was just obscure when it's 3rd party.

So....only WotC material is obscure? :smallconfused:

Heatwizard
2011-07-09, 11:07 PM
a deaf (...) bard. He's probably never heard of you.

Yeah, this band is four bards who all took Sound of Silence. You're probably never heard them.

kharmakazy
2011-07-09, 11:25 PM
I often have my melee characters wear pointy wizard hats with stars on them and robes over their armor. I think that's the DnD equivalent to thrift store clothes.

My character was breathing fire and sleeping on piles of gold back before dragons were cool. He's so over it.

I saw a bard perform once who's entire show took place in the center of a layered silence, blacklight, resilient spehere spell. He would have used the silent spell feat, but he said it was too meta.

Om
2011-07-10, 08:04 AM
Wait guys, is it a bad thing to be a hipster? :smallconfused:Most assuredly so (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I) :smallwink:

OverdrivePrime
2011-07-10, 08:18 AM
Wait guys, is it a bad thing to be a hipster? :smallconfused:

Only if you take yourself seriously and expect others to do the same. :smallsmile:

snoopy13a
2011-07-10, 08:24 AM
Maybe I'm just such a hipster but I don't find hipster jokes removed from their original context very funny, especially not after hearing them for the better part of a decade. I've also seen some that took a nasty turn towards homophobia.

It is the percieved attitude of hipsters that people dislike. Hipsters give off an aura of superiority.

HappyBlanket
2011-07-10, 08:35 AM
Only if you take yourself seriously and expect others to do the same. :smallsmile:

The only way to be a hipster who isn't terrible is to be ironic.
That's a fine line you're walking on.

Knaight
2011-07-10, 08:37 AM
I thought of this:

http://www.obviouswinner.com/storage/post-images/hipster-gandalf.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=12973138104 87

I was into tributaries before they were mainstream.

Cespenar
2011-07-10, 08:45 AM
I was into tributaries before they were mainstream.

I liked this joke better when you did it the first time. :smallannoyed:

Knaight
2011-07-10, 08:47 AM
I liked this joke better when you did it the first time. :smallannoyed:

And I was thinking I'd only done it on a different forum. Damn.

Cespenar
2011-07-10, 08:48 AM
And I was thinking I'd only done it on a different forum. Damn.

Such a sell-out...

Knaight
2011-07-10, 08:51 AM
Such a sell-out...
Yeah, well, I was into myself before I sold out.

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 10:21 AM
Yeah, well, I was into myself before I sold out.

I'm so over you. I was into you back when you were a sperm.

Knaight
2011-07-10, 10:55 AM

Taken out of context, this is incredibly creepy.
I approve. :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2011-07-10, 11:18 AM
Even creepier and yet true in some way would be for an eldest child to say to their mother "I was into you before you had kids."

Shadowknight12
2011-07-10, 03:50 PM
Most assuredly so (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I) :smallwink:

Isn't that fashion?

Oooookay?

Aaaand I approve of this joke.

Amnestic
2011-07-10, 04:03 PM
I was into selling out before everyone was ironically against selling out.
/Amidoinitrite?