PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings Cave Troll.

Tech Boy
2011-07-08, 10:02 PM
Look to title.

I want to play one.

Yes, they seem to be very stupid in the books, but I think it would be fun to play one. I think it would be fun to be a 13ft tall troll, walking through a town to meet up with some adventuring group

I just need some assistance making this into a class.

Any ideas? Is this too far? Sound like fun?

Tech Boy.

Kenneth
2011-07-08, 11:08 PM
sound allright.

but you have to relaize that the tolkein troll were what we consider ogres.

not what we consider trolls with the whole regernation and such.

so really you just be an ogre than turned to stone if you were in sunlight. in terms of D&D mechanics.

Tech Boy
2011-07-09, 12:25 PM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Troll

I found this, near the bottom of the page.

Case Closed. :D

Tanuki Tales
2011-07-09, 01:55 PM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Troll

I found this, near the bottom of the page.

Case Closed. :D

Eh, the DnD wiki isn't exactly something you want to be getting anything from.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-09, 01:57 PM
You do realize Tolkien trolls turn to stone when exposed to sunlight don't you?

Tanuki Tales
2011-07-09, 02:03 PM
You do realize Tolkien trolls turn to stone when exposed to sunlight don't you?

Except Olog-hai and possibly Mountain Trolls. :smalltongue:

erictheredd
2011-07-09, 02:21 PM
not to mention the article posted in most definately NOT a LOTR troll

An ogre is a good start, but through in some damage reduction and the turning to stone in the sunlight. Borimir damaged his sword hitting the troll, but Frodo managed to put sting in his foot. I may be wrong, but that is what I have always seen as a source for dammage reduction x/+y. or it could just be nasty armor, but I like damage reduction. An ogre should be plenty strong and stupid though.

Tech Boy
2011-07-09, 07:41 PM
From what I've read, it doesn't seem that the mountain or cave trolls turn to stone.

I am not used to using the wiki, and I will now make it a point to not.

I was just looking to it as a piece of starting material, at the time, I wasn't getting much back on the forum.

I'm just attempting to work on making this a homebrew race for the near future.

Edge
2011-07-11, 12:16 PM
From what I've read, it doesn't seem that the mountain or cave trolls turn to stone.

Then someone hasn't read The Hobbit. :smalltongue:

It's also brought up in the Silmarillion, I think, and I'm pretty sure someone notes it's a big deal that there are trolls at the battle at the Morannon in RoTK who don't get insta-stoned by the sun.

Cidolfas
2011-07-11, 03:27 PM
Not to mention the trolls that were at Pellenor Fields, which didn't turn to stone either. It's been too long since I read the books to actually consider myself an authority, but I consider the movie to be a OK resource in terms of not being completely retarded and untrue to the books and the trolls in the films didn't turn to stone except in The Hobbit. Those trolls could also speak coherently and do other things the cave troll did not do, so they don't necessarily have to be the same thing.

Personally, I think it would be more of a mess than it's worth. Just about any troll would probably be Large size and have a mess of either LA or racial Hit Dice, either of which will likely just set you back behind a party. You'll probably be limited to a min-maxing Hulking War Hurler build (that is, Hulking Hurler and War Hulk) for high Strength and zero brains. Other than that, there aren't many things to do that you couldn't do just as well or better with a basic race.

As a last side note, you shouldn't let that particular Wiki dissuade you from using them as a particular resource. They can be helpful if you know what you're looking for. With that one, you may just be wading through crap to get there.

Edge
2011-07-11, 04:36 PM
Not to mention the trolls that were at Pellenor Fields, which didn't turn to stone either. It's been too long since I read the books to actually consider myself an authority, but I consider the movie to be a OK resource in terms of not being completely retarded and untrue to the books and the trolls in the films didn't turn to stone except in The Hobbit. Those trolls could also speak coherently and do other things the cave troll did not do, so they don't necessarily have to be the same thing.

I'm pretty sure that outside of the cave troll in Fellowship, all the other trolls we see in the film trilogy are olog-hai, who aren't adversely affected by sunlight, much like uruk-hai don't suffer from typical orcish discomfort in sunlight.

Tanuki Tales
2011-07-11, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that outside of the cave troll in Fellowship, all the other trolls we see in the film trilogy are olog-hai, who aren't adversely affected by sunlight, much like uruk-hai don't suffer from typical orcish discomfort in sunlight.

The trolls who wielded the battering ram at Minas Tirith were Mountain-Trolls, not Olog-hai. Olog-hai were the massive dark trolls in black armor.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-07-11, 10:05 PM
No, pretty certain that they still have sunlight issues, just they sent forth darkness ahead of them, to shield them from the light.

Tanuki Tales
2011-07-11, 10:16 PM
No, pretty certain that they still have sunlight issues, just they sent forth darkness ahead of them, to shield them from the light.

The movie and most of the illustrations I've seen of the battle had the sky as being at worst overcast. Now whether direct sunlight is required to turn a troll to stone is another question. I guess if Frost-Trolls got more attention we'd know since frigid environs can have a penchant for overcast/cloudy weather.

Tanuki Tales
2011-07-11, 10:24 PM

The movie and most of the illustrations I've seen of the battle had the sky as being at worst overcast. Now whether direct sunlight is required to turn a troll to stone is another question. I guess if Frost-Trolls got more attention we'd know since frigid environs can have a penchant for overcast/cloudy weather.