PDA

View Full Version : How do you "grow the flock?"

DragonBaneDM
2011-07-08, 10:42 PM
Heya guys! I like starting games wherever I go, like little one-shots and premade adventures here or there, such as when I get a new job or go on a road trip during breaks at school.

I guess my goal with all these random games, besides the fact that I love DMing, is to get as many people introduced to the game as possible. By "the game" I mean RPGs in general. I play 4e mostly, but I'm planning a Shadowrun one for next semester methinks.

Anywho, I figure I can't be the only one who does this, running pick up games all the time to supplement their long-term campaigns. What all have you guys learned from your experiences? Any cool stories?

OverdrivePrime
2011-07-10, 08:20 AM
Have cute girls and tasty snacks at your game. The dudes will follow.

Lord Loss
2011-07-10, 08:29 AM
More people play RPGs or would be willing to try RPGs than you realize. Ask friends who you think would be interested maybe they like media of the RPGs genre (in this case, friends of your who are LotR fans is a good place to look). Video-gamers often like RPGs as well.

Otherwise, hang out at your local gaming store and crack out D&D at Friday Night Magic, on the side of tournaments. Maintain a weekly schedule, running a one shot for whoever is interested. Once you manage to attract a group of interested players, start DMing the sessions somewhere else more quiet, like your house, a library, etc.

Finally, posting flyer-type things advertising a D&D game (with your phone number on it) is a good way to advertise your game, as long as you place them somewhere where gamers often go and aren't picky about the group you wind up with.

DeadManSleeping
2011-07-10, 10:58 AM
Have cute girls and tasty snacks at your game. The dudes will follow.

If there were cute girls at the game, there would be no need to find players, now would there?

Knaight
2011-07-10, 11:03 AM
If there were cute girls at the game, there would be no need to find players, now would there?

That depends. If I want a group of 5 people, 3 people are playing, and they happen to be cute girls*, I'm still short a player. Granted, I'm big on 2 player groups, which means the pluralization takes care of everything, but still.

As regards "growing the flock" a lot of my friends are fairly nerdy. Some of them are nerdy in a way that makes me thing they would like role playing games, and as its a hobby I love I share it when given the opportunity, provided that I can expect a good reception. That it "grows the flock" is a side effect that I consider entirely trivial.

*Its an irrelevant detail as it happens. Moreover the term itself is somewhat questionable, given the possible derogatory connotations.

Strawberries
2011-07-10, 11:09 AM
I only play online, but I try to point out the existence of free resources like the SRD and the joy of play by post whenever I can. Also, I introduced my boyfriend to D&D. :smallwink: