PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Necromancer Warlock

bartman
2011-07-08, 11:15 PM
I have been re-reading the SilverClawShift campaign journals again(If you haven't read them, for shame, Go Here and Enjoy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836)), and was inspired to try and create a necromancer warlock for a one night fun campaign we have coming up. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to go about doing this. We will be starting out at level 10, with Pathfinder rules in place (3.5 allowed but PF takes precedence.) I am hoping to talk the DM into letting me use this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9790188&postcount=8) version of the Warlock, as it is slightly buffed for PF.

I have already glanced over this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203565) thread, but I would like to try and stay pure Warlock if possible, maybe throw some Dread Necromancer into the mix (do not have books at the moment, is this even possible?)

I have played warlock a couple of times in the past, and really enjoy them. please, lets not make this a "this is a better idea" thread, I kinda had my mind set on Warlock

Thank you all in advance for the help

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-07-08, 11:29 PM
Well, the problem is that the Warlock really isn't a good necromancer. His only 'create undead' is a Lesser Invocation 'The Dead Walk'. It's good for unlimited temporary minions, but if you want them to stick around more than a few rounds, you'll need to shell out the onyx like everyone else does.

Other than that... well... unless you want to say that Utterdark Blast is necro-ish because it bestows negative levels, the Warlock really has nothing to offer the archetype.

The only problem with Person_Man's fix of the Warlock class is that least 'essences' uniformally suck, unless you're adding shapes into it. Then you have two worth bothering with: spear and glaive.

The other problem is that you don't get enough Greater essences for what I like doing with them. I mean, Vitriolic is *mandatory*, and then there's Cone, Hindering, Noxious, Bewitching, and Repelling which are all good. Wheras the only Dark essence worth bothering with is Utterdark. Doom is not worth anything, since it requires you to get into melee with a *BUNCH* of stuff for it to pay off. So to use it, you have to voluntarily end your turn surrounded by opponents. Yea... that's a *REAL* smart idea.

Cornelius Grim
2011-07-09, 12:21 AM
Ask your DM if you can homebrew a greater invocation as "Create Undead" and a dark invocation as "Create Greater Undead". That'll add necro-y abilities. However, finding a way to control the undead is important if they're intelligent. Not sure how, but I'm sure you can find a way. Hope it work out for you. :smallsmile:

Treblain
2011-07-09, 03:06 PM
You could also get your DM to waive the onyx requirement. Invocations are supposedly spell-like-abilities, which don't have material components. I never understood that.

At level 12, or 10 if you're following that fix, the warlock gets another necromancy boost: with Imbue Item, he can scribe scrolls of Desecrate or other useful spells.

Or you can go Eldritch Disciple and be a cleric and warlock.