PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing?

SlashRunner
2011-07-09, 01:20 AM
After expanding my sourcebook collection significantly, I think I've gotten every sourcebook I can think of. Here's a list of everything I have, is there any book or books that I'm missing that are actually used?

Complete Adventurer
Complete Champion
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Psionic
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Shining South (for Streamers)
Dungeon Master's Guide
Dungeon Master's Guide II
Drow of the Underdark
Dragon Magic
Fiendish Codex
Fiendish Codex II
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
It's Cold Outside
It's Hot Outside
It's Wet Outside
It's Not Outside (both of them)
Lords of Madness
Miniatures Handbook
Magic Item Compendium
Monster Manual
Monster Manual II
Monster Manual III
Monster Manual V
Magic of Incarnum
Player's Guide to Faerun
Planar Handbook
Player's Handbook
Player's Handbook II
Rules Compendium
Races of Destiny
Races of Stone
Races of the Dragon
Races of the Wild
Spell Compendium
Tome of Battle
Tome of Magic
Unearthed Arcana
Weapons of Legacy
Expanded Psionics Handbook

Any help is much appreciated.

OracleofSilence
2011-07-09, 01:23 AM
Sandstorm, Stormwrack, and Frostburn, Draconomicon, Exemplars of Evil, Elder Evils

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-09, 01:23 AM
Looks like you're missing Draconomicon, MM IV, and the Environment books (Stormwrack, Frostbite, Sandstorm etc.) Just from a glance.

Edit: Swordsaged.
Edit Edit: Oriental Adventures and Fiend Folio.

SlashRunner
2011-07-09, 01:24 AM
Sandstorm, Stormwrack, and Frostburn

Those are "It's Hot Outside", "It's Wet Outside", and "It's Cold Outside", respectively.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-07-09, 01:33 AM
From a glance, Libris Mortis, Complete Arcane (yes there's a Mage and Arcane), Book of Vile Deeds, Book of Exalted Deeds

This list is fairly complete (I think) so goa head and cross reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_rulebooks#Dungeons_.2 6_Dragons_3rd_edition_and_v3.5

And you can pick up the Erratas here if you need them ->http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

SlashRunner
2011-07-09, 01:34 AM
From a glance, Libris Mortis, Complete Arcane (yes there's a Mage and Arcane)

This list is fairly complete (I think) so goa head and cross reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_rulebooks#Dungeons_.2 6_Dragons_3rd_edition_and_v3.5

And you can pick up the Erratas here if you need them ->http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

Oops, forgot to add CA. Also, I think I wrote the Book of Bad Latin somewhere.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-07-09, 01:36 AM
If you REALLY want help getting your list together I REALLY suggest using the books actual names, not your nicknames for them, they may be funny to you, but it's very impractical for the rest of us.

And no you didn't write "Book of Bad Latin" anywhere.

Oh and you missed the Epic Level Handbook. :p

Knaight
2011-07-09, 01:38 AM
If you REALLY want help getting your list together I REALLY suggest using the books actual names, not your nicknames for them, they may be funny to you, but it's very impractical for the rest of us.

These are all fairly well known, widely accepted nicknames.

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-09, 01:40 AM
These are all fairly well known, widely accepted nicknames.

Fairly well known and widely accepted yes. Absolute and known to everyone, no.

In any event, it is a little counter productive to list a book as something other than its official title when you're trying to get a comprehensive list. As we've just seen, not everyone is familiar with the nicknames.

Knaight
2011-07-09, 01:51 AM
Fairly well known and widely accepted yes. Absolute and known to everyone, no.

In any event, it is a little counter productive to list a book as something other than its official title when you're trying to get a comprehensive list. As we've just seen, not everyone is familiar with the nicknames.

I agree entirely. However, the term "your nicknames' doesn't work, which was really the sum total of my statement.

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-09, 01:56 AM
I agree entirely. However, the term "your nicknames' doesn't work, which was really the sum total of my statement.

Yeah, I guess my point was that the use of "your nicknames" just highlights the fact that you can't assume everyone knows them. So I guess I agree with you? *shrug* Anyway, a link to most of the sourcebooks has been provided, so I'd done here. :smallsmile:

SlashRunner
2011-07-09, 02:01 AM
Well, 90% of the time when I see those books referenced, it's either by those names or one of those names in referenced somewhere in the post, so I think it's a reasonable assumption that most people (at least most people who are even bothering to read this board) would have heard them mentioned as such. But I don't want to start an argument.

Soo, Draconomicon, MMIV, Fiend Folio. I've never heard of Exemplars of Evil, is it worth it to go looking for it? I'm looking for a practical set of sourcebooks that contain good, reliable, quality material that isn't extremely obscure.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-09, 02:03 AM
Those are "It's Hot Outside", "It's Wet Outside", and "It's Cold Outside", respectively.

I love these nicknames, although, what is it's not outside?

And you missed ghostwalk, but that's pretty obscure.

Kuma Kode
2011-07-09, 02:08 AM
I love these nicknames, although, what is it's not outside?

And you missed ghostwalk, but that's pretty obscure.

Probably Dungeonscape.

LansXero
2011-07-09, 04:19 AM
Probably Dungeonscape.

I think thats "It's Inside" because "It's Not Outside" is Cityscape iirc.

Also I think Manual of the Planes / Savage Species are missing but not sure if those are 3.0 or 3.5

Kuma Kode
2011-07-09, 04:26 AM
I think thats "It's Inside" because "It's Not Outside" is Cityscape iirc.Further proof that Nikita/Ursus are correct in that the nicknames may not actually be the most intuitive thing to call them in this situation.

Also I think Manual of the Planes / Savage Species are missing but not sure if those are 3.0 or 3.5 3.0.

Trixie
2011-07-09, 05:19 AM
Further proof that Nikita/Ursus are correct in that the nicknames may not actually be the most intuitive thing to call them in this situation.

Yeah, I have these books and it's the very first time I heard of these 'nicknames' :smallannoyed:

HunterOfJello
2011-07-09, 06:01 AM
I personally like using the Fiend Folio. It's 3e, but still has a lot of good monsters in it.

Amnestic
2011-07-09, 09:47 AM
I make no claim as to how often these books get used. Such a claim is up to each individual/group. That said:
Faerun:

Champions of Ruin
Champions of Valour
City of Splendors Waterdeep
Dragons of Faerun
Faiths and Pantheons
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Grand History of The Realms
Lords of Darkness
Lost Empires of Faerun
Magic of Faerun
Monsters of Faerun
Mysteries of the Moonsea
Power of Faerun
Races of Faerun
Serpent Kingdoms
Silver Marches
Unapproachable East

Eberron:

An Adventurer's Guide to Eberron
Dragonmarked
Dragons of Eberron
Eberron Campaign Setting
Explorer's Handbook
Faiths of Eberron
Five Nations
Forge of War
Magic of Eberron
Player's Guide to Eberron
Races of Eberron
Secrets of Sarlona
Secrets of Xen'drik
Sharn - City of Towers

Probably missed one or two.

Don't see Arms and Equipment Guide on your list either. It's 3.0 material, but still good. Recommended.

SlashRunner
2011-07-09, 11:54 AM
I make no claim as to how often these books get used. Such a claim is up to each individual/group. That said:
Faerun:

Champions of Ruin
Champions of Valour
City of Splendors Waterdeep
Dragons of Faerun
Faiths and Pantheons
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Grand History of The Realms
Lords of Darkness
Lost Empires of Faerun
Magic of Faerun
Monsters of Faerun
Mysteries of the Moonsea
Power of Faerun
Races of Faerun
Serpent Kingdoms
Silver Marches
Unapproachable East

Eberron:

An Adventurer's Guide to Eberron
Dragonmarked
Dragons of Eberron
Eberron Campaign Setting
Explorer's Handbook
Faiths of Eberron
Five Nations
Forge of War
Magic of Eberron
Player's Guide to Eberron
Races of Eberron
Secrets of Sarlona
Secrets of Xen'drik
Sharn - City of Towers

Probably missed one or two.

Don't see Arms and Equipment Guide on your list either. It's 3.0 material, but still good. Recommended.

Yeah, I'll probably pick up a lot of the Eberron stuff, because I hear many good things about it. Also, I've been digging around for the Arms and Equipment Guide, but I haven't found it as of yet.

HunterOfJello
2011-07-10, 05:50 AM
Yeah, I'll probably pick up a lot of the Eberron stuff, because I hear many good things about it. Also, I've been digging around for the Arms and Equipment Guide, but I haven't found it as of yet.

The two best Eberron books are the Eberron Campaign Setting and Magic of Eberron from what I've seen.

Depending on which are of Eberron you run a campaign in, the other books begin to become more useful. Five Nations is cool for a campaign set in Khorvaire and the Secrets books are good for thier respective areas.

Sharn and many of the others are next to irrelevant unless you're going to use them in a very specific context. Faiths of Eberron has some cool stuff in it but definitely has some of the most broken stuff in it compared to any book since the PHB. (This includes the Sovereign Speaker and Planar Shephard.)

~

Also, be weary of buying the Player's Guide to Eberron, it's one of the worst arranged books I've ever seen. Everything in it goes by alphabetical order instead of being sectioned off by category. For instance, the feats aren't in a feat section, they're just randomly distributed throughout the entire book.