PDA

View Full Version : Level 20 spells at level 10

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-09, 02:08 AM
So I was reading up on Circle Magic and one of the effects is to be able to heighten a spell to level 20. Now lets say we were to have this build:
Wizard 1/Cleric 4/Chameleon 2/Hathran 4. Take Sanctum spell and you can now cast that level 20 spell as a level 21 spell. With your Chameleon bonus feat take extra slot. You now have a level 20 spell slot at level 10. If I am right about my idea, what could you do with said level 20 spell slot?

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-09, 02:20 AM
Even if you were right, (AFB, can't say either way) having a 20th level spell slot doesn't give you access to 6th-9th level spells, and without Epic Spellcasting you couldn't do much either.

You could however, make use of the "write your own spells" option and create something that you consider a 20th level spell would do. Then show it to your DM along with your character and pray he has a sense of humor.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-09, 02:37 AM
Granted it would be great for metamagic.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-09, 01:19 PM
It would be fantastic for metamagic, as you don't need to hit it exactly. A Twinned Repeating Split Ray Maxmized Empowered Stilled Silenced Invisible enervation, cast in full plate while playing bardic music.

dextercorvia
2011-07-09, 01:33 PM
So I was reading up on Circle Magic and one of the effects is to be able to heighten a spell to level 20. Now lets say we were to have this build:
Wizard 1/Cleric 4/Chameleon 2/Hathran 4. Take Sanctum spell and you can now cast that level 20 spell as a level 21 spell. With your Chameleon bonus feat take extra slot. You now have a level 20 spell slot at level 10. If I am right about my idea, what could you do with said level 20 spell slot?

Technically, you have a level 11 build.

Flickerdart
2011-07-09, 01:42 PM
It is my understanding that Circle Magic increases caster level, not spell level, and so you can't use it for any of the things you just mentioned.

What you can do for 9th level spells at low levels is Talfirian Song on a Human Bard and loading up on as many Extra Musics as you can. You can spoof 9th levels spells as early as 3rd level, and 5th level spells at 1st, which is super handy for getting into PrCs.

Urpriest
2011-07-09, 02:16 PM
It is my understanding that Circle Magic increases caster level, not spell level, and so you can't use it for any of the things you just mentioned.

What you can do for 9th level spells at low levels is Talfirian Song on a Human Bard and loading up on as many Extra Musics as you can. You can spoof 9th levels spells as early as 3rd level, and 5th level spells at 1st, which is super handy for getting into PrCs.

Circle Magic can give you a giant pile of free Heightens that can explicitly go up above 9th level, which is how it raises spell level.

Flickerdart
2011-07-09, 02:26 PM
Right, but heightens are not the same as empowers, maximizes or split rays.

Boci
2011-07-09, 02:27 PM
Right, but heightens are not the same as empowers, maximizes or split rays.

I think he's using some method of getting a bonus spell slot that then doesn't need to be hightened.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-09, 02:30 PM
Right, with Extra Slot, you can get another spell slot of up to the highest spell level you are able to cast. So if he heightens it all the way to 20th level, he is able to cast 20th level spells, so then Extra Slot grants him a 20th level spell slot. And because he's using his floating feat from the chameleon class to get Extra Slot, he doesn't have to worry about what will happen after the circle magic heighten thing is over. (He can just choose a new feat the next day)

Jack_Simth
2011-07-09, 02:40 PM
As soon as the Circle Magic ritual ends, you can no longer cast 21st level spells, no longer qualify for Extra Slot (20th), and lose it.

dextercorvia
2011-07-09, 03:09 PM
As soon as the Circle Magic ritual ends, you can no longer cast 21st level spells, no longer qualify for Extra Slot (20th), and lose it.

Casting that level of spell is not a prereq for Extra Slot. He only needs CL 4 to qualify for that feat.

Jack_Simth
2011-07-09, 03:17 PM
Casting that level of spell is not a prereq for Extra Slot. He only needs CL 4 to qualify for that feat.

Oh, so it just drops down to being based on the highest level he can currently cast which, with that build... is something like 2nd or 3rd?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-07-09, 03:18 PM
It works, giving a legitimate level 20 spell slot for use... except that all that slot is good for is metamagic'ing lower level spells to fill it.

dextercorvia
2011-07-09, 03:32 PM
Oh, so it just drops down to being based on the highest level he can currently cast which, with that build... is something like 2nd or 3rd?

There is no option in the spell to scale the level of slot it gives you, after selection. If there were, it would be a (normally) decent feat.