PDA

View Full Version : Spellshatterer

Lonely Tylenol
2011-07-09, 03:45 AM
Spellshatterer
In a world where magic rules and its users are kings and queens of their own domain, the single greatest act of defiance of the natural order, or perhaps even its greatest means of enforcement, is to render the very magic the world depends on obsolete. Whether they are the elite enforcers of oppressive empires or the biggest thorns in their sides, spellshatterers use their understanding of the magical energies of the world to unravel the very threads that bind them.
Spellshatterers can be found in all walks of life, and although the practice of a spellshatterer is highly chaotic (the act of dispelling magics into the ether is similar in nature to entropy), spellshatterers themselves do not necessarily tend toward chaos.
Due to the deep understanding of arcane and divine energies that is required to unbind these very energies, Wizards, with their inquisitive nature and constant struggle to advance their knowledge, make natural spellshatterers, though any class capable of dispelling can undertake the responsibilities of a spellshatterer. In fact, some sorcerers make natural prodigies at using their innate energies to cancel out those of another, and some clerics, particularly inquisitors, turn to spellshattering to answer the call of their deity.

Requirements
To qualify to become a spellshatterer, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.
Feats: Skill Focus (spellcraft).
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast Dispel Magic.

Spellshatterer - Hit Dice: D4
NAME OF CLASS
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Spontaneous Dispel, Dispelling Knowledge|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Powerful Dispel +2|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Improved Counterspell|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|
Selective Dispel|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Powerful Dispel +4|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|
Persistent Dispel|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Immediate Counterspell|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Powerful Dispel +6, Blanket Dispel|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|
Antimagic Inundation|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Mastery of Counterspelling, Absorbing Dispel|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Class Skills
The spellshatterer's class skills (and the relevant ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill points at each level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Spellshatterers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spontaneous Dispel: Beginning at 1st level, a spellshatterer can cast any spell with dispel in its name without preparing it beforehand. The spellshatterer can "lose" any prepared spell in order to cast any dispel spell of the same level or lower. This ability functions in all other ways like the Spontaneous Casting ability of the cleric.

Dispelling Knowledge: A spellshatterer adds the following spells to their list of spells known, at the level that they are able to cast spells at the appropriate level:
Level 1: Dispel Ward
Level 2: Dispelling Touch
Level 3: Tenacious Dispel
Level 4: Dispelling Screen
Level 5: Wall of Dispel Magic
Level 6: Dispel Magic, Greater
Level 7: Dispelling Screen, Greater
Level 8: Chain Dispel
Level 9: Reaving Dispel
If another spellcasting class the spellshatterer can cast from casts the spell at a lower level, the spell is learned from the lower spell level instead. The spells learned do not count against the maximum number of spells known for a spellcasting class with a fixed number of spells known.

Powerful Dispel: Beginning at 2nd level, a spellshatterer adds a +2 bonus to all caster level checks made to dispel or counterspell. This bonus increases to +4 at 5th level and +6 at 8th level.

Improved Counterspell: At 3rd level, a spellshatterer gains Improved Counterspell as a bonus feat.

Selective Dispel: At 4th level, a spellshatter can pick and choose which spells to dispel. When a spellshatterer selects a target of a targeted dispel or an area dispel, they can make a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + 3x the level of the spell) to identify each spell that is affecting the target, taken individually. When making caster level checks to dispel a spell effect on the target, the spellshatterer can decide whether or not to attempt to dispel a spell identified in this way; if they decide not to dispel a spell, they simply move to the next strongest spell. A spellshatterer cannot decide whether or not to attempt to dispel a spell that was not successfully identified beforehand with a Spellcraft check; the spell instead resolves as normal.

Persistent Dispel: Beginning at 6th level, whenever a dispel spell cast by a spellshatterer targets and successfully dispels a magical item, the item remains inert for 24 hours, as if the spell that dispelled it was under the effect of the persistent spell feat (Complete Arcane, p. 41).

Immediate Counterspell: Beginning at 7th level, a spellshatterer can initiate a counterspell as an immediate action. The spellshatterer can only do this once per round, unless another effect grants the spellshatterer more than one immediate action.

Blanket Dispel: Beginning at 8th level, whenever a spellshatterer casts an area dispel, the spell targets all magic spells and effects within the spell's range, and continues to do so even if another spell or effect on the target has already been dispelled. In other words, an area dispel doesn't discharge upon dispelling a single spell; instead, it discharges only after a dispel check has been made against every spell or effect within its range (unless the spellshatterer has decided not to dispel that effect; see Selective Dispel, above).

Antimagic Inundation: At 9th level, a spellshatterer gains immunity to antimagic field. The spellshatterer can cast spells normally while in an antimagic field, and ongoing effects from spells cast by the spellshatterer are not suppressed while in the antimagic field. As a result of this inundation, it is possible for a spellshatterer of this level to dispel an antimagic field.

Mastery of Counterspelling: At 10th level, when a spellshatterer counterspells a spell, it is turned back upon the caster as if it were fully affected by a spell turning spell. If the spell cannot be affected by spell turning, then it is merely counterspelled.

Absorbing Dispel: At 10th level, a spellshatterer gains the ability to absorb a spell's energies. If the spellshatterer decides not to counterspell a spell targeted at the spellshatterer (or if the counterspell attempt fails), they can instead make a caster level check at a -5 penalty to absorb the spell (this caster level check is not a dispel check, and does not gain the benefits of Powerful Dispel, above). If the spellshatterer succeeds, the spell is absorbed and the spellshatterer gains a number of spell levels equal to the level of the absorbed spell, as the spell absorption. You can use captured spell energy to cast any spell you know or have prepared, but spells so cast don't disappear from your list of prepared spells or count against the number of spells you can normally cast per day. If the caster check fails, the spell's effects resolve as normal, but the spellshatterer takes a -5 penalty to any save required for the check. This ability can be used any number of times per day, but each additional use after the first increases the caster level penalty, and the penalty to saves if the spellshatterer fails, by -2.

OK, this is all I've got for homebrew classes for now. Give me no quarter! Dispel any myths that this class is feasible, so I can try to conjure up a newer (and better) version.

Lonely Tylenol
2011-07-11, 06:47 PM
Let's try bumping a thread of mine at a time that isn't four in the morning, shall we? :)

Xzoltar
2011-07-11, 09:18 PM
Im pretty sure in a game where you encounter lot of magic user this will be a very good addition to a party. Everything is fine but beeing able to cast in a Antimagic zone whitout any problem may seem a little too much. The problem is that he can surround himself with a Antimagic zone and still use is magic. I really think this is pretty good for Mage Duel and adventuring overall as you can counterspell and dispel to protect all the group.Just maybe add some limitations to the antimagic zone immunity like maybe a oppose caster check or use per day...

eftexar
2011-07-11, 10:24 PM
It might be simpler to state that you can only use abjuration magic while subjugated to antimagic.
On an off note, I never understand why there wasn't an opposed caster check or save to resist antimagic in the first place. One antimagic spell from a major NPC and your casters become useless.

Lonely Tylenol
2011-07-11, 11:12 PM
Im pretty sure in a game where you encounter lot of magic user this will be a very good addition to a party. Everything is fine but beeing able to cast in a Antimagic zone whitout any problem may seem a little too much. The problem is that he can surround himself with a Antimagic zone and still use is magic. I really think this is pretty good for Mage Duel and adventuring overall as you can counterspell and dispel to protect all the group.Just maybe add some limitations to the antimagic zone immunity like maybe a oppose caster check or use per day...

Well, actually, casting in an antimagic field you control was the purpose of antimagic field immunity... The idea being that that express combination of abilities is the closest thing to magic immunity that an anti-magic character can really get without rendering the whole character moot.

Then again, I DID attach it to a PrC with full spellcasting progression...

I don't know if a caster level check would be appropriate (making caster level checks against yourself just seems to create inherent problems with... Well, with bias)... What if I made it a Concentration check? Or a caster level check against a fixed DC modifier (as dispel magic checks are already 11+caster level of the AMF)?

It might be simpler to state that you can only use abjuration magic while subjugated to antimagic.
On an off note, I never understand why there wasn't an opposed caster check or save to resist antimagic in the first place. One antimagic spell from a major NPC and your casters become useless.

As I've (quite recently) learned from re-reading the spell, summoned monsters and incorporeal undead (which are affected by an antimagic field) get a spell resistance check to avoid being blinked out of existence; if they succeed, the antimagic field has no effect on them.

Casting only abjurations would allow the caster to retain use of their dispel-based features; regardless, the point of the ability was that you could cast from behind your own antimagic field (or cast in your opponent's), though thinking about it, I can see how that becomes something of a free lunch. Clearly, making it a pass/fail mechanic (where "fail" causes the spell to fail, wasting the action and the spell slot) makes it more manageable, but how to balance it?

If I made it a caster level check, what would be appropriate? Anything below 11+spell level is completely meaningless, because Arcane Mastery undermines it completely (by letting you take 10 on caster level checks), but making it too high makes it... Well, pointless.

Of note: If I made it 11+caster level, then learning any single reserve feat would make casting spells from that school an auto-pass (because of the +1 caster level on that school of spells), unless the spell is an Abjuration, in which case a roll still needs to be made (as antimagic field gains the caster level bonus as well, offsetting the bonus of the reserve feat), but I've yet to decide if this is balanced or not.

If I make it a Concentration or Spellcraft check, well, I have to deal with the fact that skill checks can be broken with competence items and the like...

Hmm...

What seems less abusable (skill checks vs. caster level checks), and what seems like a good, balanced level for this check?

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-11, 11:22 PM
I honestly don't understand why Improved Counterspell is a class feature instead of a prerequisite. Seems like something you would have to have a basic grasp of before you entered a class like this.

Lonely Tylenol
2011-07-11, 11:32 PM
I honestly don't understand why Improved Counterspell is a class feature instead of a prerequisite. Seems like something you would have to have a basic grasp of before you entered a class like this.

Well, the spellshatterer doesn't really focus on tit-for-tat methods and the like... Using an evocation spell to combat an evocation spell is nice, but it is not a key feature of the spellshatterer. By contrast, mastery of the Spellcraft skill is central to the class, and is even necessary for some class features (such as Selective Dispel).

I may switch it around, but the reason Improved Counterspell isn't a prerequisite as it stands is because it has nothing to do with use of dispel magic and its counterparts to tear apart the fabric of spell-weaving, but rather an alternative trick that one can use as a convenience item.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-11, 11:36 PM
Well, the spellshatterer doesn't really focus on tit-for-tat methods and the like... Using an evocation spell to combat an evocation spell is nice, but it is not a key feature of the spellshatterer. By contrast, mastery of the Spellcraft skill is central to the class, and is even necessary for some class features (such as Selective Dispel).

I may switch it around, but the reason Improved Counterspell isn't a prerequisite as it stands is because it has nothing to do with use of dispel magic and its counterparts to tear apart the fabric of spell-weaving, but rather an alternative trick that one can use as a convenience item.

Alright, yeah, after taking a closer look at the class I agree that counterspelling isn't its main focus at all. Sorry. Also, since you're opening the class to both divine and arcane casters, I suggest making Heal a class skill. It really is a very useful skill for clerics to have, in my opinion.

Lonely Tylenol
2011-07-12, 12:06 AM
Alright, yeah, after taking a closer look at the class I agree that counterspelling isn't its main focus at all. Sorry.

Well, not that version at least; half the class features make counterspelling by virtue of the fact that dispel magic is boosted considerably.

Also, can't tell if sarcasm, but well done if so.

Also, since you're opening the class to both divine and arcane casters, I suggest making Heal a class skill. It really is a very useful skill for clerics to have, in my opinion.

Yeah, you're right - I opened up the class to both arcane and divine, but drew too heavily from the "arcane caster" chassis. I'll add Heal to the list.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-12, 12:12 AM
Well, not that version at least; half the class features make counterspelling by virtue of the fact that dispel magic is boosted considerably.

Also, can't tell if sarcasm, but well done if so.

I'm not being sarcastic. Your class's main goal is dispelling. Counterspelling is simply an extension of that.

Yeah, you're right - I opened up the class to both arcane and divine, but drew too heavily from the "arcane caster" chassis. I'll add Heal to the list.

Also, the skill list is a little small. I know that this is the norm for casters in WotC, but this class is going to have to do a lot of careful thinking and planning, which seems more flexible to me than just 2+Int skills (The irony of commenting on a full caster being more flexible is not lost on me, believe me).

Lonely Tylenol
2011-07-12, 06:48 AM
I'm not being sarcastic. Your class's main goal is dispelling. Counterspelling is simply an extension of that.

Okay, yeah. Just that when you said "counterspelling isn't a main feature at all," I thought it was a knee-jerk reaction, then went and re-read the class features and realized that they support that knee-jerk reaction (six level bonuses support counterspelling, as well as one of its capstone abilities), and I was, like, "oh."

Also, the skill list is a little small. I know that this is the norm for casters in WotC, but this class is going to have to do a lot of careful thinking and planning, which seems more flexible to me than just 2+Int skills (The irony of commenting on a full caster being more flexible is not lost on me, believe me).

I'm glad it isn't. ;D

I may draw an extra skill or two from the Cleric spell list. MAYBE the Bard, since this is a bizarre amalgam of arcane and divine casters and Bard *can* cast Dispel Magic...

I'll add some skills (starting, of course, with the ones that make the most sense).