PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Alchemist, the best tank?

Rentaromon
2011-07-09, 10:42 AM
So i took a look at the alchemist discovery to get another arm, it works like a normal arm in every way, it dosent give you extra attacks however. But you can still wield a weapon in it to give you more options while attacking, or you could wield a shield and a 2 handed weapon, or 2 weapons and a shield, or 2 shields(if you have 2 shield fighting) and a weapon.

so lets say you take a level in a class that has proficiency in tower shields, could i have 2 tower shields and a weapon with no downside? I can see some crazy AC possibilities as low as lvl 3.

Blisstake
2011-07-09, 11:23 AM
Well, first of all, the two shield fighting is a 3rd party feat, so the extra arm discovery was creating without that feat in mind. Second, even with the feat, the extra AC you're getting is 4, along with a total of -4 to hit from both tower shields (I assume that stacks). Enemies have no real reason to attack you (if you've got a one handed weapon with ridiculous penalties to hit, they'll just provoke attacks of opportunity), and will go straight for your other party members.

Also, with all 3 hands occupied, you'll be unable to use your formula or bombs, which is pretty much removing your most important class features as an alchemist.

So to sum it up, even if your DM allows that third party feat, this isn't a very practical strategy.

Caphi
2011-07-09, 11:42 AM
Shield bonuses to AC don't stack with each other.

Rentaromon
2011-07-09, 11:42 AM
Well, first of all, the two shield fighting is a 3rd party feat, so the extra arm discovery was creating without that feat in mind. Second, even with the feat, the extra AC you're getting is 4, along with a total of -4 to hit from both tower shields (I assume that stacks). Enemies have no real reason to attack you (if you've got a one handed weapon with ridiculous penalties to hit, they'll just provoke attacks of opportunity), and will go straight for your other party members.

Also, with all 3 hands occupied, you'll be unable to use your formula or bombs, which is pretty much removing your most important class features as an alchemist.

So to sum it up, even if your DM allows that third party feat, this isn't a very practical strategy.

hmm u have a point, but we homebrewed to make shields better, just becouse they seem so weak compaired to 2 weapons or 1 giant one. So all shields give 1 more AC and tower gives 2 more, so its almost worth it.

i dont know just wanted to put it past some people with more experience.

Rentaromon
2011-07-09, 11:43 AM
Shield bonuses to AC don't stack with each other.
if you read my first post again you see "2 shield fighting", a feat that makes 2 shields together work