PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Game together.

DefKab
2011-07-09, 12:59 PM
I have a problem. I love gaming. All over, in general. Yet I am always in bad places for it. Either we gamers are never around, or I got to leave the area soon, so getting a game together is ill-concieved. My question is this: Has anybody ever found Play By Post, or any other kind of online gaming to be fruitful, or easy, or fun, or hopefully all three?

Malimar
2011-07-09, 07:08 PM
I have a problem. I love gaming. All over, in general. Yet I am always in bad places for it. Either we gamers are never around, or I got to leave the area soon, so getting a game together is ill-concieved. My question is this: Has anybody ever found Play By Post, or any other kind of online gaming to be fruitful, or easy, or fun, or hopefully all three?

I less than three online roleplaying. For a decade, it was all I did, because I had no real-life friends to tabletop with. It worked just fine.

I've never tried, say, GitP PbP (though I've been working up the nerve over the last week or so to start trying it), but I don't see why it wouldn't be fruitful, easy, or fun.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-07-09, 07:14 PM
Be wary of PbP. Those games can move slower than a slowed snail during time stop if one of the players isn't good about timely posting. Other players/the DM often go permanently MIA too, which causes things to fall apart. Just be careful (maybe sign up for multiple games), and you can have a blast.

DefKab
2011-07-09, 07:15 PM
Where have you been online playing, and how do you handle timing in a game online where everything is instant and yet takes forever?

OracleofSilence
2011-07-09, 07:15 PM
mythweavers is good for that

graeylin
2011-07-09, 07:52 PM
Be wary of PbP. Those games can move slower than a slowed snail during time stop if one of the players isn't good about timely posting. Other players/the DM often go permanently MIA too, which causes things to fall apart. Just be careful (maybe sign up for multiple games), and you can have a blast.

second this, but add: I don't have gamers in my area either, so PBP is the only way I can play. I am in 5 games, DM a sixth, and looking to add a couple more.

they are SLOW, even when they are fast. A round of combat takes a day, at the fastest, just a single ROUND. a normal melee is about a two week commitment. However, as mentioned, multiple games helps, so you can always have something going in one when it's even slower in the others.

On the plus side, getting into character is REALLY easy, and building an in depth, full fleshed PC is really nice, easy and fun with the internet. I can WRITE better than I can act, so my gnome wizard is much better on PBP than he would be in real life across the table.

it's not for everyone, but it has a place. dndonlinegames is where I hang to do PbP.

2-HeadedGiraffe
2011-07-10, 07:40 PM
For a semester, two friends of my group who couldn't join us in person joined the sessions via a voice chat on Skype. It mostly worked, except when we had connection problems. Another time, I ran a game through chat rooms on AIM. That can work decently-well if you schedule a time for it like you would any other session.

Also, I believe there's a section on the forum that's all about finding players and stuff like that. Maybe you could find people in your area that you don't even know about. You could also check at local stores or other such places. Sometimes they let you post about games you want to run to find players that way. Lastly, I don't know how many do this, but there's a weekly gaming group at the university I used to go to. The groups tended to get pretty full, but you can sometimes find a game that way.

Milo v3
2011-07-10, 10:41 PM
I love PbP games and I am currently running 4 games as DM (One D20 Modern, 2 3.5e, and a Lords Of Creation) on this forum and, I also love being a player for PbP.

But saddly they do sometimes fizzle out and some people might not only rarely post but stop posting all togethor.

There is also the difficultly of players being in different parts of the world. Basically all my players live on the otherside of the world to me so when I am asleep they post and when they are asleep I post.

Other than those few problems it is amazingly fun.