PDA

View Full Version : Touch of Golden Ice (Exalted Deeds) DC question.

Captain Caveman
2011-07-09, 03:18 PM
I am playing a half dragon (gold) paladin with exalted deeds as my source book. I am looking at taking the Touch of Golden Ice feat for my natural attacks. My question is it says in the ravages chapter of exalted deeds that the type is "Touch DC 14" but what is the DC against fort? I might just be an idiot and missing it entirely when I read the chapter. Thanks playground

Ravens_cry
2011-07-09, 03:29 PM
14 is the DC, I believe, and touch is the type of attack it takes, i.e. a touch attack.

Cog
2011-07-09, 03:36 PM
Ravages, like the poisons they're based on, target Fortitude.

Glimbur
2011-07-09, 03:38 PM
Ravages, like the poisons they're based on, target Fortitude.

You take back that filthy slander! Ravages aren't poisons because Exalted people can't use poisons!

Seriously, though, the feat is ok at low levels but the fixed DC makes it pretty useless later on. I suppose you could take Ability Focus for it but that's throwing good feats after bad.

PollyOliver
2011-07-09, 03:45 PM
You take back that filthy slander! Ravages aren't poisons because Exalted people can't use poisons!

Seriously, though, the feat is ok at low levels but the fixed DC makes it pretty useless later on. I suppose you could take Ability Focus for it but that's throwing good feats after bad.

Eh, it depends. If you're a vop anything, you're going to run out of exalted feats to take anyway. And if you've got multiple attacks--well, everyone fails a save eventually. It's not great (and your DM might smack you if he has to roll a fort save for every one of your natural attacks just to see if the balor rolls a 1), but at the point that it has become exalted feat roulette "oh wait I don't have enough charisma for that one", it's better than the alternatives.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-09, 06:47 PM
Eh, it depends. If you're a vop anything, you're going to run out of exalted feats to take anyway. And if you've got multiple attacks--well, everyone fails a save eventually. It's not great (and your DM might smack you if he has to roll a fort save for every one of your natural attacks just to see if the balor rolls a 1), but at the point that it has become exalted feat roulette "oh wait I don't have enough charisma for that one", it's better than the alternatives.

Pretty much. Even at high levels, it's still better than most of the other exalted feats, which is really kind of sad.

OracleofSilence
2011-07-09, 07:54 PM
well it depends on the DM's ruling. does making a fortitude save have a visible effect? cause if it does: detect evil baby!

Thurbane
2011-07-10, 09:10 PM
Can you even apply Ability Focus to it? I seem to recall a RAW argument that abilities granted by feats don't count as "special attacks" for use with Ability Focus. FWIW, I think it should be applicable, but I'm not sure if RAW agrees...

MeeposFire
2011-07-10, 09:13 PM
Can you even apply Ability Focus to it? I seem to recall a RAW argument that abilities granted by feats don't count as "special attacks" for use with Ability Focus. FWIW, I think it should be applicable, but I'm not sure if RAW agrees...

I doubt its worth it in the end anyway. You are more likely to increase its effectiveness by increasing attacks than increasing the DC by 2. Since it works with natural attacks that can be done in a fair number of ways such as unarmed attacks+natural attacks from various classes.