PDA

View Full Version : Building a 40k Grey Knight

Maquise
2011-07-09, 05:08 PM
Out of curiousity, I was wondering the best way to play a Space Marine Grey Knight. Granted, the Storm Bolter can be dropped, but give me everything else a Grey Knight has. Bonus points for not being MAD, double bonus points if the character's mere presense is harmful to outsiders.

kardar233
2011-07-09, 05:46 PM
Mmm...

Nemesis Force Weapon we can call a Glaive because the reach helps. Looks better too. We want (Fierce)Evil Outsider Bane, make it out of Starmetal for extra anti-Outsider goodness. Banishing, Holy (Surge), Psychic, Sacred (Burst), any of those would fit.

He'll wear Mountain Plate, or maybe just Heavy Plate if you don't want to be ridiculously slow. Make it Fearsome or Menacing too. Mindarmor is a must. And that enchantment that gives Spell Resistance. Don't remember the name.

Class-wise, you gotta be a gish. Which means some degree of MAD off the bat.

I see a couple ways you could go for leveling.

Firstly, you could go with a Divine/Psionics gish. Say, Cleric/Ardent, which makes you fairly SAD to Wisdom. Otherwise, you could go Cleric/Prestige Paladin, grab Hidden Talent and enter War Mind, which also is SAD to Wisdom and seems a little bit more viable to me. Maybe use a melee/divine prestige class like Ordained Champion or similar.

If you drop the Divine and go more on Psionics, you could start with a Psion, use a hitty class (Warblade?) to enter Illithid Slayer, which gives you lots of nice anti-Mind-Affecting abilities plus full BAB.

Ah ha. Forget about that second part. You want Divine magic so you can go into Fist of Raziel, which gives you an always-on Magic Circle Against Evil. Try that on; Evil outsiders cannot physically approach you unless they Spell Resist it, and they're unable to touch you at all.

I think that's what you were looking for.

~EDIT~ Oh, completely forgot. You gotta have Hellreaver from FCII in there somewhere. Fits perfectly.

And don't forget to make them Lawful Evil.

Urpriest
2011-07-09, 08:12 PM
Grey Guard perhaps? :smallwink:

Person_Man
2011-07-09, 08:17 PM
Books allowed? Is homebrew an option? And besides shooting stuff and wearing impressive armor, is there anything in particular that a Grey Knight does that you want to replicate?

Maquise
2011-07-09, 08:53 PM
Feel free to use whatever you think can work. Some of the things I'm looking for include:
-Shrouding: Stealth/difficulty being hit.
-Aegis: Some sort of spell defense
-Fearless
-Anathema: Mere presence causes pain to evil outsiders.

I was considering making use of the Pathfinder rules for using a construct as armor. Any good ideas there?

kardar233
2011-07-10, 02:52 AM
Using what I've outlined above, you just need to add a few things to fit those requirements:

For the Shrouding, you could use Concealing Amorpha (if you're going the psionics route) or an enchantment of Blur or Displacement on their armor.

Might as well add a Spell Resistance enchantment on the armor, and add Mindarmor too. That plus (Illithid) Slayer (if you're taking it) will make you immune to the vast majority of mind-affecting abilities, and then you have spell resistance for anything else.

I believe all paladins (including Paladin of Tyranny, which is most appropriate here) get immunity to fear. If you're going with divine spellcasting, you can dip into Prestige Paladin for extra BAB and plenty of abilities plus that immunity to fear in 2 levels.

Dipping Fist of Raziel gives you that nice Magic Circle against Evil which is quite a bit of that. I don't know any real aura effects, but that seems close enough.

Add some silly fluff about going into a god's domain and hurting him without him being able to do anything to you, and you're set.

Zonugal
2011-07-10, 03:39 AM
One idea might be to go Cleric 3/Ardent 3/Psychic Theurge (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b) 10?

See if you can get the Planar Banishment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#turningUndeadVariantPlana rBanishment) variant allowed for clerics. It would be more practical and if your high enough you can destroy outsiders by merely shouting at them.

TheGeckoKing
2011-07-10, 08:54 AM
For armor you'll definitely want Mechanus Gear, which is like Mountain Plate, only mechanical looking and way better. Heck, for AC, there's only one better armor and it's in an obscure adventure book.