PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) (Spell) Based on a Demotivator (P.E.A.C.H.)

DracoDei
2011-07-09, 08:24 PM
Created this long ago, finally got around to splitting it into three different spells like I said I would... considered making a "Crush Chaos" version that makes rocks fall (touch attack rather than reflex save), but I decided to go with Cold. Not sure my editing is very good for the non-Good-caster versions.

Found the following in a Demotivator thread. Specifically in THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10333761&postcount=4) post.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb39/MoonlitWolf714/newspellresearch.jpg?t=1271740443
Going to write a brief description of the photo and copy down the caption here in case the image suddenly stops getting hosted:
The image shows a lightning bolt striking a tree near a house (unfortunately in a modern suburban-looking setting). The lightning bolt is purple-ish where it runs along the tree.
New Spell Research
Little did the assassin hiding in the tree know that the wizard he had to kill had recently blended Evocation with Divination, creating the spell "Detect Evil And Turn It To Sizzling Bacon"
Decided it needed an actual write-up. Decided that Flamestrike (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flameStrike.htm) was a good thing to base it on although I have varied the element type of the damage with the alignment factor.
Detect Chaos and Turn it to Ice Sculpture, Lesser
Divination/Evocation [Cold, Law]
Level: Clr 4
Components: V, S, F, DF
Casting Time: 1 Full Round
Range: 60 feet
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex Half
Spell Resistance: Yes
While the damage from this spell is relatively minimal for the amount of skill at channeling divine power that it requires, it is useful for locating targets for more serious efforts at eradication.
When cast each creature that would register under Detect Chaos (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within range is targeted by a cube of divine freezing 5 feet on a side. The spell deals 4d6 damage to each target. Half the damage is cold damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to cold-based attacks.
Focus: A solid gold crest representing an highly bureaucratic (but efficient) organization that promotes Order and is not opposed to violence worth at least 100 gp.

Detect Chaos and Turn it to Ice Sculpture
Level: Clr 6
Area of Effect: 60 foot Cone
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute/level
While the damage from this spell is relatively minimal for the amount of skill at channeling divine power that it requires, it is useful for two general categories of things: Locating targets for more serious efforts at eradication, and taking a purposeful march through hordes of lesser foes, just to watch them freeze.
Each round that this spell is active, at the end of your turn, each creature that would register under Detect Chaos (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within a 60' cone selected by you is targeted by a cube of divine freezing 5 feet on a side. The spell deals 5d6 damage to each target. Half the damage is cold damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to cold-based attacks.
Focus: A staff topped with an enlarged version of your god's holy symbol, encrusted with gems. The total value of this staff must be at least 500 gp.

Detect Chaos and Turn it to Ice Sculpture, Greater
Level: Clr 8
Duration: 1 minute/level(D)
While the damage from this spell is relatively minimal for the amount of skill at channeling divine power that it requires, it is useful for two general categories of things: Locating targets for more serious efforts at eradication, and taking a pleasant stroll through hordes of lesser foes, just to watch them freeze.
Each round that this spell is active, at the end of your turn, each creature that would register under Detect Chaos (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within range is targeted by a cube of divine freezing 5 feet on a side. The spell deals 6d6 damage to each target. Half the damage is cold damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to cold-based attacks.
Focus: A fossilized bone of an intelligent creature of lawful alignment (average market value 1,000 gp).

Detect Evil and Turn it to Sizzling Bacon, Lesser
Divination/Evocation [Electricity, Good]
While the damage from this spell is relatively minimal for the amount of skill at channeling divine power that it requires, it is useful for locating targets for more serious efforts at eradication.
When cast each creature that would register under Detect Evil (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within range is targeted by a 5 foot diameter vertical column of divine lightning roaring downward. The spell deals 4d6 damage to each target. Half the damage is electricity damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to electricity-based attacks.
Focus: A solid gold crest representing a charitable organization that is not opposed to violence worth at least 100 gp.

Detect Evil and Turn it to Sizzling Bacon
While the damage from this spell is relatively minimal for the amount of skill at channeling divine power that it requires, it is useful for two general categories of things: Locating targets for more serious efforts at eradication, and taking a purposeful march through hordes of lesser foes, just to watch them fry.
Each round that this spell is active, at the end of your turn, each creature that would register under Detect Evil (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within a 60' cone selected by you is targeted by a 5 foot diameter vertical column of divine lightning roaring downward. The spell deals 5d6 damage to each target. Half the damage is electricity damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to electricity-based attacks.
Focus: A staff topped with an enlarged version of your god's holy symbol, encrusted with gems. The total value of this staff must be at least 500 gp.

Detect Evil and Turn it to Sizzling Bacon, Greater
While the damage from this spell is relatively minimal for the amount of skill at channeling divine power that it requires, it is useful for two general categories of things: Locating targets for more serious efforts at eradication, and taking a pleasant stroll through hordes of lesser foes, just to watch them fry.
Each round that this spell is active, at the end of your turn, each creature that would register under Detect Evil (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within range is targeted by a 5 foot diameter vertical column of divine lightning roaring downward. The spell deals 6d6 damage to each target. Half the damage is electricity damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to electricity-based attacks.
Focus: A meteorite, or piece of meteorite, even one as small as a grain of sand (average market value 1,000 gp).

Detect Good and Turn it to Roast Chicken, Lesser
Divination/Evocation [Fire, Evil]
When cast each creature that would register under Detect Good (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within range is targeted by a 5 foot diameter vertical column of divine fire roaring downward. The spell deals 4d6 damage to each target. Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks.
Focus: A solid gold crest representing a cruel and self-serving organization that is not opposed to violence worth at least 100 gp.

Detect Good and Turn it to Roast Chicken
While the damage from this spell is relatively minimal for the amount of skill at channeling divine power that it requires, it is useful for two general categories of things: Locating targets for more serious efforts at eradication, and taking a purposeful march through hordes of lesser foes, just to watch them burn.
Each round that this spell is active, at the end of your turn, each creature that would register under Detect Good (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within a 60' cone selected by you is targeted by a 5 foot diameter vertical column of divine fire roaring downward. The spell deals 5d6 damage to each target. Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks.

Detect Good and Turn it to Roast Chicken, Greater
While the damage from this spell is relatively minimal for the amount of skill at channeling divine power that it requires, it is useful for two general categories of things: Locating targets for more serious efforts at eradication, and taking a pleasant stroll through hordes of lesser foes, just to watch them burn.
Each round that this spell is active, at the end of your turn, each creature that would register under Detect Good (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within range is targeted by a 5 foot diameter vertical column of divine fire roaring downward. The spell deals 6d6 damage to each target. Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks.
Focus: A meteorite, or peice of meteorite, even one as small as a grain of sand (average market value 1,000 gp).

((Pay attention to the focii for the Lesser and Greater versions, I did something a bit different here.))
Detect Law and Turn it to Goo, Lesser
Divination/Evocation [Sonic, Chaos]
When cast each creature that would register under Detect Law (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within range is targeted by a 5 foot diameter vertical column of divine cacophony. The spell deals 4d4 damage to each target. Half the damage is sonic damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to sonic-based attacks. The timing between the columns is random but always at least asynchronous enough that the number of them does not effect the DCs of listen checks to pin-point exactly where they (and thus the targets in the horizontal axis) are located.
Focus: The remains of any object worth at least 200 gp that the caster personally destroyed for no other purpose than to have a focus for this spell, or maybe no purpose at all.

Detect Law and Turn it to Goo
While the damage from this spell is relatively minimal for the amount of skill at channeling divine power that it requires, it is useful for two general categories of things: Locating targets for more serious efforts at eradication, and taking a purposeful march through hordes of lesser foes, just to watch their brains leak out their ears.
Each round that this spell is active, at the end of your turn, each creature that would register under Detect Law (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within a 60' cone selected by you is targeted by a 5 foot diameter vertical column of divine cacophony. The spell deals 5d4 damage to each target. Half the damage is sonic damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to sonic-based attacks. The timing between the columns is random but always at least asynchronous enough that the number of them does not effect the DCs of listen checks to pin-point exactly where they (and thus the targets in the horizontal axis) are located.

Detect Law and Turn it to Goo, Greater
While the damage from this spell is relatively minimal for the amount of skill at channeling divine power that it requires, it is useful for two general categories of things: Locating targets for more serious efforts at eradication, and taking a pleasant stroll through hordes of lesser foes, just to watch their brains leak out of their ears.
Each round that this spell is active, at the end of your turn, each creature that would register under Detect Law (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within range is targeted by a 5 foot diameter vertical column of divine cacophony. The spell deals 6d4 damage to each target. Half the damage is sonic damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to sonic-based attacks. The timing between the columns is random but always at least asynchronous enough that the number of them does not effect the DCs of listen checks to pin-point exactly where they (and thus the targets in the horizontal axis) are located.
Focus: At least 2,000 gp worth of materials assembled in a haphazard manner. The caster must have assembled the materials himself and the method of assembly must render the components useless for their original functions (if any).

What do people think?

Epsilon Rose
2011-07-09, 08:34 PM
Looks more like lightning to me.:smallbiggrin:
That said I don't think I've seen an auto targeted aoe dot in D&D before and that is something that interests me.

DracoDei
2011-07-09, 08:41 PM
Looks more like lightning to me.:smallbiggrin:
Yeah, I mentioned that... and my reasons for changing it. I could make it half-lighting and half-divine instead of half-fire and half-divine if people prefer... or maybe have it vary by alignment among the 4 spells this will eventually turn into.

That said I don't think I've seen an auto targeted aoe dot in D&D before and that is something that interests me.
1.) What do you mean by "dot" do you mean it hits only the appropriate squares, rather than filling the whole area?
2.) You forgot an "/". I put it in for you in the quote above.

eftexar
2011-07-09, 08:59 PM
This spell is awesome! Actually I was wondering if it would be fine if I created a modified version of it, for my Lunar Scythe class.

DracoDei
2011-07-09, 09:31 PM
This spell is awesome! Actually I was wondering if it would be fine if I created a modified version of it, for my Lunar Scythe class.
Always glad to inspire others.
Give me a parenthetical "This ability inspired by Draco Dei's Detect Evil and Turn it to Sizzling Bacon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11384321#post11384321) spell" at the end of the ability, or something like that, and that would be excellent.

Epsilon Rose
2011-07-09, 09:41 PM
Right, in order:
Hm, running through the four traditional elements (fire, air[lightning {or skip it and go for a localized tornado}], earth and water) across the four alignment corners could be interesting.

A dot stands for Damage Over Time, that is it keeps going off. It's a slang from some mmos.

Ah, whoops, one of the pitfalls of trying to type code on an android. I'll just fix that now.

DracoDei
2011-07-09, 10:13 PM
Right, in order:
Hm, running through the four traditional elements (fire, air[lightning {or skip it and go for a localized tornado}], earth and water) across the four alignment corners could be interesting.
Earth being literal "rocks fall, (take a small amount of damage)"?

A dot stands for Damage Over Time, that is it keeps going off. It's a slang from some mmos.
Ah, hadn't heard that one before... I shall try to remember that abbreviation.

Ah, whoops, one of the pitfalls of trying to type code on an android. I'll just fix that now.
*Nods*

Epsilon Rose
2011-07-09, 10:36 PM
They don't necessarily have to be falling... I imagine the reverse could be quite painful on some species.:smalleek:
Though rocks fall does have a certain poetry to it...

Shadow Lord
2011-07-09, 10:38 PM
There should be a Wiz/Sor version of this u.u

DracoDei
2011-07-09, 10:55 PM
There should be a Wiz/Sor version of this u.u
I thought of that, especially since that is how the Demotivator is written. Unfortunately, while they certainly get enough Evocation to qualify, Detect Chaos/Evil/Good/Law is very much absent from their spell lists, as are most/all offensive spells that function based on alignment.

Do people think I got the damage and spell level about right? It is actually a very useful spell for pointing out ambushes/invisible opponents and "crowd control" especially if you ignore the peons and go after the big opponents. After the big guys drop the peons should:

Be dead.
Rout.
Or be great-cleave bait for the party melee-ist(s).

Epsilon Rose
2011-07-09, 11:09 PM
I thought of that, especially since that is how the Demotivator is written. Unfortunately, while they certainly get enough Evocation to qualify, Detect Chaos/Evil/Good/Law is very much absent from their spell lists, as are most/all offensive spells that function based on alignment.
[/LIST]

Why not base it off something else (and possibly use a different application/set of elements)? I'm not sure what you'd base it off of (or what set/application) to use but it might be nice to make it different from the divine version... or you could help wear down the difference between the two... both work.

I was going to ask if you'd consider doing a pan-elemental souped-up version of this, but if it's an 8th level spell that might not be feasible.

DracoDei
2011-07-09, 11:28 PM
Why not base it off something else (and possibly use a different application/set of elements)? I'm not sure what you'd base it off of (or what set/application) to use but it might be nice to make it different from the divine version... or you could help wear down the difference between the two... both work.
I am saying that arcane magic really isn't supposed to be able to DO that sort of thing... it would be like giving them the Cure X Wounds line. Even if you delay each spell a level or something it dilutes the flavor of the classes.

I was going to ask if you'd consider doing a pan-elemental souped-up version of this, but if it's an 8th level spell that might not be feasible.
Well, I am still not 100% sure it IS an 8th level spell. I originally had it as 7th level and 4d6 damage, but decided to change both of those. Really not sure what it should be.

Shadow Lord
2011-07-09, 11:50 PM
Make it detect magic. Anything non-magical gets blown up! :smallannoyed::smallamused:

Epsilon Rose
2011-07-10, 12:08 AM
Make it detect magic. Anything non-magical gets blown up! :smallannoyed::smallamused:

That and an anti-mage version would be great for a pan-elemental and x (possibly far realms) variant, though they'd probably need some friend or foe detection.

Personally I'd have the Arcanists blasting mundanes with the pan-elemental one and other mages with the far-realms one (because you really want to make sure an enemy mage is dead).

DracoDei
2011-07-10, 12:25 AM
That and an anti-mage version would be great for a pan-elemental and x (possibly far realms) variant, though they'd probably need some friend or foe detection.

Personally I'd have the Arcanists blasting mundanes with the pan-elemental one and other mages with the far-realms one (because you really want to make sure an enemy mage is dead).
That... could be interesting... yes.

EDIT: Made the current spell dismissible. Among other things, this lets you parlay if the enemy is trying to surrender.

DracoDei
2011-07-10, 01:56 PM
I just realized this may be a "Greater" version. Normal version would then have Concentration duration, and "Lesser" version would be instantaneous.

What say ye Playgrounders?

Okizruin
2011-07-10, 02:25 PM
You'll have to soften the damage and range as well, but that's just me.

Epsilon Rose
2011-07-10, 02:56 PM
I'm all for a lesser version. But instant does,t seem in keeping with the rest of the spell. Maybe leave it at 2 stages and let sneaks have some breathing room.

DracoDei
2011-07-10, 03:10 PM
I'm all for a lesser version. But instant does,t seem in keeping with the rest of the spell. Maybe leave it at 2 stages and let sneaks have some breathing room.
Instant just means it only goes off once.
As for sneaks, there are many spells and effects for concealing one's alignment, and many sneaky types have access to them. Note that it says they have to register on a hypothetical Detect Evil.
Still, I will keep the level up a bit to account for sneaky types.

Epsilon Rose
2011-07-10, 10:50 PM
Instant just means it only goes off once.
As for sneaks, there are many spells and effects for concealing one's alignment, and many sneaky types have access to them. Note that it says they have to register on a hypothetical Detect Evil.
Still, I will keep the level up a bit to account for sneaky types.

That's actually exactly what I meant about instant, though I may be overvaluing how integral the repeating part is and there's something to be said about the lesser version lacking a key cool feature.

DracoDei
2011-07-10, 11:16 PM
That's actually exactly what I meant about instant, though I may be overvaluing how integral the repeating part is and there's something to be said about the lesser version lacking a key cool feature.
Lesser: Instantaneous.
(Normal): Concentration (Perhaps a cone)
Greater: 1 minute per caster level (D)

DracoDei
2013-03-14, 12:50 PM
This is now 12 spells, so I thought I would bump it before I left for a Con (lest I forget to do it after I come back).

P.E.A.C.H. still desired especially on the Anti-Law version which has reduced damage dice to balance the rare energy type, twice as expensive foci (but MUCH more easy to obtain quickly... literally anything that comes to the right GP total can do), and a name I am not certain about.

Ashtagon
2013-03-14, 01:29 PM
I have one major criticism of these spells.

Good should be turned into roast chicken, not sizzling bacon.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-03-14, 01:46 PM
Girlfriend's Angry Call
Divination/Evocation [Fire or Lightning]
Level: Sor 8
Components: V, S
Range: Unlimited
Saving Throw: None and Reflex Half
Spell Resistance: No and Yes
This spell functions like Demand, allowing the caster to contact another being via a Sending. Unlike Demand, which links a Suggestion spell to convince the being to do as it is told, this spell links either a fireball or a scinctillating sphere centered on the target. Created by the Simbul to contact Elminster when he could not be found, it has proven to be significantly more persuasive. Reflex saves and spell resistance apply to the fireball or scinctillating spherebut not the sending.

Drynwyn
2013-03-14, 09:07 PM
Eh... Rare damage type and high focus availability doesn't really balance reduced damage in most campaigns.
Though since it's cleric, not wizard, it can be more situational and still see play.
Side note: You may want to specify that magic rods, iounn stones, etc. included in the "haphazard assembly" no longer function.

DracoDei
2013-03-15, 07:28 PM
Side note: You may want to specify that magic rods, iounn stones, etc. included in the "haphazard assembly" no longer function.

Good catch. Will edit after Con.

DracoDei
2013-03-18, 05:34 PM
I have one major criticism of these spells.

Good should be turned into roast chicken, not sizzling bacon.
I don't get the specific joke, but I have made the change.

Now done.