PDA

View Full Version : Question about telepathy

zmasterofjersey
2011-07-09, 11:07 PM
Its only one question thats been on my mind for a while now and I can't find any rulings exactly.

If you have telepathy and are talking to someone through it, can a third party listen on the conversation by any means? Like someone in your house picking up a different telephone to listen in on conversations.

Jack_Simth
2011-07-09, 11:11 PM
Its only one question thats been on my mind for a while now and I can't find any rulings exactly.

If you have telepathy and are talking to someone through it, can a third party listen on the conversation by any means? Like someone in your house picking up a different telephone to listen in on conversations.

The Detect Thoughts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectThoughts.htm) spell on one of the participants would be the simplest manner.

Psyren
2011-07-09, 11:13 PM
Indeed - since communicating telepathically would bring anything you say to the surface, eavesdropping one one of the participants should give you at least their side of the conversation.

zmasterofjersey
2011-07-09, 11:15 PM
I can't believe the first "mind reading" spell could do it.:smallannoyed:

However, wouldn't you only be able to detect one person's thoughts if only one person was in the cone.

Shadowknight12
2011-07-09, 11:21 PM
I can't believe the first "mind reading" spell could do it.:smallannoyed:

However, wouldn't you only be able to detect one person's thoughts if only one person was in the cone.

Not necessarily. When that person receives mental communication, someone eavesdropping him with Detect Thoughts would hear the same they are hearing, plus their reply.

An example:

Alice, Bob, Claire and Derek are linked together via Telepathy Bond (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/telepathicBond.htm). Erik has Alice within range of his Detect Thoughts spell. Let's examine the following situations and see if Derek could find out what's being said.

Situation 1:
Alice (to all): "Watch out for the monster!"
Erik listens?: Yes.

Situation 2:
Alice (to Claire): "Lookin' steamy today! Rowr!"

Situation 3:
Bob (to all): "Watch out for the trap!"

Situation 4:
Bob (to Alice): "Isn't Claire looking steamy today? Rowr!"

Situation 5:
Derek (to Claire): "Alice is totally ogling you, girlfriend."
Erik listens?: No.

Kuma Kode
2011-07-10, 02:07 AM
I wouldn't say the telepathy is necessarily a surface thought, so you'd only get their reply, depending on how your DM reads it. If you're particularly interested in having this work, talk to your DM or see about homebrewing up a spell.