PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a race for a character

MesiDoomstalker
2011-07-10, 12:55 AM
I'm making a Scout/Ranger for a free-form game (no dice rolls, we are based on D&D just using it as a base so less optimized choices might be better. Shot on the Run would be great for Scout abilites) and initially I was going to be a Pixie. But I talked to other players and all were playing either evil or neutral characters and Pixies are alwasy NG which would of caused problems (the other characters usually play stupid evil).

I need help finding a race that has large base movement, preferably flying though just high land movement would be fine. On top of that, it needs to be able to be at least neutral or evil to fit the group dynamic. I thought of some dark version of the pixie but can't find/don't know of any. It can be from any version but we are primarily 3.5. Something with high dex bonuses as well would be beneficial.

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 01:00 AM
To me the most obvious opposite of pixie on the other spectrum is Imp. He has flight and slight regen. Especially since you don't seem to be taking LA into account. (Imps are statted up for players in Savage Species)

Otherwise Hengeyokai raven type is a shapechanger that changes into a raven and is 0 LA

Rei_Jin
2011-07-10, 01:18 AM
Catfolk can work well for decent land speed, especially if you throw the Quick trait on it (from Unearthed Arcana). Hello base land speed of 50ft.

If you're set on flight, the easiest option is the Raptoran, or grab something you like and slap the Winged template on it from Savage Species.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-07-10, 01:26 AM
To me the most obvious opposite of pixie on the other spectrum is Imp. He has flight and slight regen. Especially since you don't seem to be taking LA into account. (Imps are statted up for players in Savage Species)

Otherwise Hengeyokai raven type is a shapechanger that changes into a raven and is 0 LA

........ I'm an idiot for not thinking of Imp. Another player is playing and Inccubus (male succubus) and would have an nice subserviant RP angle to it that we can play off of.

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 01:27 AM
Pixies and Imps are both little flyers (imp is 50' flight IIRC) with high dex and invisibility.

e; missed your reply.

nihil8r
2011-07-10, 01:34 AM
half-fiend pixie :smallcool:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-07-10, 01:35 AM
half-fiend pixie :smallcool:

Half-Fiend can't be applied to Pixies on account of "Always Neutral Good"

nihil8r
2011-07-10, 01:37 AM
if the dm is letting someone be a succubus, i think you can ignore the "always" part of a monster's alignment. :smallwink:

Aurenthal
2011-07-10, 01:38 AM
Catfolk can work well for decent land speed, especially if you throw the Quick trait on it (from Unearthed Arcana). Hello base land speed of 50ft.

I was thinking that to! +4dex and +2cha 40ft land speed

Big Fau
2011-07-10, 01:50 AM
Half-Fiend can't be applied to Pixies on account of "Always Neutral Good"

"Always XY" in 3.5 means ~80% of the population is that alignment. It is not a hard and fast rule (as Asmodeus proves: He was an Archon before he was banished to Baator).

MesiDoomstalker
2011-07-10, 01:53 AM
"Always XY" in 3.5 means ~80% of the population is that alignment. It is not a hard and fast rule (as Asmodeus proves: He was an Archon before he was banished to Baator).

Not with my DM. Apperently its going to be a highly stereotypical game (races will act exactly like you think they will and you will be outcast if you don't play your racial stereotype).

Shadowknight12
2011-07-10, 01:55 AM
Not with my DM. Apperently its going to be a highly stereotypical game (races will act exactly like you think they will and you will be outcast if you don't play your racial stereotype).

Uh-huh, I see. So what happens if a pixie and a fiend have a child? Is it miraculously not a half-fiend pixie because... the DM says so?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-10, 01:56 AM

An evil pixie would be an outcast anyway. Anyone who's of a different alignment when it says "always" is an outcast.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-07-10, 01:57 AM
Uh-huh, I see. So what happens if a pixie and a fiend have a child? Is it miraculously not a half-fiend pixie because... the DM says so?

Don't debate the senslessness of my DM's rulings with me. Because I'm on your side. Its just easier to play his way than to fight it (when we fight, we die or get screwed over some how).

Rei_Jin
2011-07-10, 01:58 AM

A situation like you're saying probably wouldn't come up in a world run by a DM like has been mentioned. When a DM decides that this or that can't happen, then situations that could lead to it, also can't happen.

Shadowknight12
2011-07-10, 02:04 AM
Don't debate the senslessness of my DM's rulings with me. Because I'm on your side. Its just easier to play his way than to fight it (when we fight, we die or get screwed over some how).

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear that. I usually don't game with DMs like that, but I understand that others may disagree. Best of luck, then.

A situation like you're saying probably wouldn't come up in a world run by a DM like has been mentioned. When a DM decides that this or that can't happen, then situations that could lead to it, also can't happen.

I am not really suggesting a succubus who turns good and falls in love with a pixie and they have a child together. I'm suggesting something... uh... else. Something that can actually happen regardless of whether either party is okay with such event or not. Unless the DM specifically states that Always Good creatures are literally unable to produce children with Always Evil creatures, the logic flaw still stands.

GoblinArchmage
2011-07-10, 02:05 AM
1. Open the Monster Manual to the Pixie entry.
2. Procure a pen.
3. ?
4. Profit.

Rei_Jin
2011-07-10, 02:09 AM
I am not really suggesting a succubus who turns good and falls in love with a pixie and they have a child together. I'm suggesting something... uh... else. Something that can actually happen regardless of whether either party is okay with such event or not. Unless the DM specifically states that Always Good creatures are literally unable to produce children with Always Evil creatures, the logic flaw still stands.

Hahaha, in that circumstance, the gods would intercede and not allow the pixie to become pregnant. Trust me, I've heard this sort of thing go on and on... what it comes down to is that you are dead right, it should be possible, but Rule Zero means that the DM says no and there's no way around it.

Shadowknight12
2011-07-10, 02:12 AM
Hahaha, in that circumstance, the gods would intercede and not allow the pixie to become pregnant. Trust me, I've heard this sort of thing go on and on... what it comes down to is that you are dead right, it should be possible, but Rule Zero means that the DM says no and there's no way around it.

Yes, I know. That doesn't make me any less puzzled, however. Ah, well. I guess logic flaws don't bother some people as much as they bother me. :smallannoyed:

NikitaDarkstar
2011-07-10, 02:18 AM
You also have the Mephits, comes in a variety of elements, fly speed 60ft with perfect maneuverability and are small. But they also are outsiders so make sure you can't get banished.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-10, 02:19 AM
Rule Zero means that the DM says no and there's no way around it.

While you are right, I present a counter argument (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrandTabletopRulesList).

Rule 00 - The GM is Always Right: No matter how eloquently the Rules Lawyer states his case for the loophole he's trying to abuse, the GM always has the last word.
Rule 000 - ...But No Players Means No Game: Having the last word doesn't mean the GM can lord it over the players like a tin-pot dictator. Like any other governing body, abuse of power will eventually lead to a coup d'état.

This DM sounds like the tin-pot dictator. "If you are an elf, you have to be good and aloof and love nature. If you are different, all elves will attack you on sight!"

Divide by Zero
2011-07-10, 02:24 AM

Since everyone is playing evil characters anyway, why does it matter if your pixie is an outcast?

Rei_Jin
2011-07-10, 02:51 AM
This DM sounds like the tin-pot dictator. "If you are an elf, you have to be good and aloof and love nature. If you are different, all elves will attack you on sight!"

Heh, not disagreeing with you at all, but you know that that won't change how the DM feels about that sort of thing. For some people, changing games isn't an option because the group is people they are firm friends with outside of the game, or there are simply no other games that they CAN attend. Other options exist, but these are the most common two reasons I've seen for why people don't vote with their feet.

Plus, if the DM isn't too extreme with it, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for most people. If, of course, they run a strict world where everything is exactly as per stereotypes and nothing can exist outside of it, well, I'd be asking how they became a DM before I tried to argue with their DMing style. It may be that someone else would be better suited to the role.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-07-10, 09:35 AM
Since everyone is playing evil characters anyway, why does it matter if your pixie is an outcast?

While I may be an outcast, I'd still be NG and thus an outcast even within the group dynamic. A NG Pixie won't play nice with a CE Drow Priestess or LE Incubus.

While you are right, I present a counter argument (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrandTabletopRulesList).

Not so extreme as attack on sight, but if I play an elf that is not even close to an Elf personality, I will be outcasted or labled as weird or something similiar.

Heh, not disagreeing with you at all, but you know that that won't change how the DM feels about that sort of thing. For some people, changing games isn't an option because the group is people they are firm friends with outside of the game, or there are simply no other games that they CAN attend. Other options exist, but these are the most common two reasons I've seen for why people don't vote with their feet.

Plus, if the DM isn't too extreme with it, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for most people. If, of course, they run a strict world where everything is exactly as per stereotypes and nothing can exist outside of it, well, I'd be asking how they became a DM before I tried to argue with their DMing style. It may be that someone else would be better suited to the role.

He's not normally like this but since this game would allow much more freedom he wanted to restrict things so we don't metagame a game that you shouldn't be able TO metagame. Me being a Pixie that isn't NG would be metagaming so I can fit the party mechanic.