PDA

View Full Version : Internal Server Error

Yora
2011-07-10, 04:16 AM
I'm seeing a lot of "internal server error" messages by my browser. Often when making a post, but when going back and looking at the thread, the post shows up without any problems.
Could be a client problem, but I'd thought I report it in case it's a more common error other people have as well.

BladeofOblivion
2011-07-10, 05:42 AM
I've been seeing a number as well, usually after a long load time. I assumed it was my Internet connection, though I'm likely wrong.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-10, 01:12 PM
I'm seeing a lot of "internal server error" messages by my browser. Often when making a post, but when going back and looking at the thread, the post shows up without any problems.
Could be a client problem, but I'd thought I report it in case it's a more common error other people have as well.
Me too. But my posts don't show up afterwards either.

MoonCat
2011-07-11, 04:36 PM
500 and 503 Errors seems to be getting more common, has something happened?

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-11, 06:47 PM
500 and 503 Errors seems to be getting more common, has something happened?

Yeah, I found quite a few sites with that. Something is wrong with the internet.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-13, 04:05 PM
Initially I saw this thread and thought "Oh good, it's not just me," but I didn't feel it was necessary to post. Then about three days later (ie ten minutes ago), I couldn't post and got a 503 and decided to come here. And I experienced 4. Counted. 4. 503s before the forum page would load. And I didn't have a problem actually coming to Giant, the homepage is working fine. The forum is really having Internal Server issues though.

Elder Tsofu
2011-07-13, 04:13 PM
Aye, about the same story here - although I'm sure they're more than aware of it by now. :smallsmile:
I thought it might had been my browser playing pranks, but it isn't on any other site I visit...

Renegade Paladin
2011-07-13, 06:45 PM
I hadn't seen any until just now, but I had 503 errors for somewhere over a minute. (I don't refresh constantly, as that just increases the server load and makes the problem worse; when a site times out, I try again in minute intervals. I got two before the board would load.)

Rawhide
2011-07-13, 07:09 PM
And I didn't have a problem actually coming to Giant, the homepage is working fine. The forum is really having Internal Server issues though.

The server is set up to sacrifice the forums in order to keep the rest of the site running smoothly.

I hadn't seen any until just now, but I had 503 errors for somewhere over a minute. (I don't refresh constantly, as that just increases the server load and makes the problem worse; when a site times out, I try again in minute intervals. I got two before the board would load.)

In this specific instance, it was me doing something server intensive.

---

FYI - a 500 series error is almost always server related, not your local computer/browser.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-13, 07:20 PM
Ah, thank you very much. That makes sense.

Lord Loss
2011-07-13, 07:36 PM
Over the past few weeks, I've been getting this every time I search, with a single exception. I've tried searching more or less broad terms, more or less specific ones, changing all sorts of options, but I still get it.

Shadow Lord
2011-07-13, 09:15 PM
All of a sudden, the entire board slowed down a lot, and I got a 500 error. :smallfrown:

bluewind95
2011-07-13, 10:14 PM
Roland/Rawhide/Any-other-mods-that-work-with-this...

Other than general knowledge of their occurrence, is the report of a 500-series error of any use to you? If it is, what kind of information is relevant to include in the report? Time it occurred and the action done at the time?

Milo v3
2011-07-13, 11:08 PM
This is happening to me everyday and it is basically impossible to search.

Dire Reverend
2011-07-13, 11:30 PM
This is happening to me everyday and it is basically impossible to search.

I only see this error when searching, never when posting. However, I never find it impossible, I jsut go back and re-search it immediately afterwards.

Drolyt
2011-07-14, 05:06 PM
I've noticed slowdown on the site recently. A page takes forever to load, sometimes it won't load at all, and sometimes it will pop out errors (either my browser will show an error, or the page will load but the forum part has an error). This is recent, over the last several days. At first I thought I had an internet problem, but my downloads are as fast as ever so I'm not sure. I'm mostly looking for a confirmation that this is an issue on the site's end. Thank you in advance.

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-14, 05:27 PM
I've noticed slowdown on the site recently. A page takes forever to load, sometimes it won't load at all, and sometimes it will pop out errors (either my browser will show an error, or the page will load but the forum part has an error). This is recent, over the last several days. At first I thought I had an internet problem, but my downloads are as fast as ever so I'm not sure. I'm mostly looking for a confirmation that this is an issue on the site's end. Thank you in advance.

I'm finding it too, so the answer is probably 'uhuh'.

Lycar
2011-07-17, 07:43 AM
"You don't have permission to access /forums/newreply.php on this server."

That is what I get now. :smalleek:

And I could post on the recruitment board just fine yesterday. :smallsigh:

EDIT: Although this post went through apparently. :smallamused:

Rawhide
2011-07-17, 09:39 AM
"You don't have permission to access /forums/newreply.php on this server."

That is what I get now. :smalleek:

And I could post on the recruitment board just fine yesterday. :smallsigh:

EDIT: Although this post went through apparently. :smallamused:

You didn't happen to mention a certain family of cats of which the bobcat is a member, did you?

Lycar
2011-07-17, 12:27 PM
:smallconfused: Do you mean to say that the text I was trying to post possibly contains a sequence of characters, maybe even hidden in a longer string of characters, that triggers the obscenity filter somehow?

Oh well, I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the hint.

EDIT: Odd. The offending string seems to hide in here:

(T*o*m*a*k*e*i*t*p*e*r*f*e*c*t*l*y*c*l*e*a*r*t*h*a *t*H*a*r*k*o*n*i*n*t*e*n*d*s*t*o*:*) )

Zherog
2011-07-17, 12:43 PM
The word lynx followed by a space causes a filter on the server to go crazy and block the post from happening. I find it absolutely incredible how often people here talk about lynxes. There's a few other combos that trigger it as well, but lynx is by far the most common.

Lycar
2011-07-17, 12:56 PM
Heh, I phrased the sentence slightly different and... no problem any more.

Strange. But hey, whatever works. :smallsmile:

Edit: Why did I just get a prompt asking me to log into 'img.villagephotos.com', just for refreshing the page? :smalleek:

Zherog
2011-07-17, 08:26 PM
Heh, I phrased the sentence slightly different and... no problem any more.

Strange. But hey, whatever works. :smallsmile:

Was it lynx or something else? The other one I know of that causes the server to go bananas is a colon followed by two spaces.

Edit: Why did I just get a prompt asking me to log into 'img.villagephotos.com', just for refreshing the page? :smalleek:

Likely caused by somebody's avatar, hosted on that site. I'm too lazy to look whose it is. Also, I didn't get the message.

Douglas
2011-07-18, 08:52 AM
:smallconfused: Do you mean to say that the text I was trying to post possibly contains a sequence of characters, maybe even hidden in a longer string of characters, that triggers the obscenity filter somehow?
No, no, the obscenity filter would just replace the offending word with asterisks and then let the post through. You triggered the security filter.

(T*o*m*a*k*e*i*t*p*e*r*f*e*c*t*l*y*c*l*e*a*r*t*h*a *t*H*a*r*k*o*n*i*n*t*e*n*d*s*t*o*:*) )
I bolded the offending portion of that. "to: " (note there are two spaces at the end of that) is on the blacklist of the server's security filter. I have no idea if there actually is a security vulnerability related to that keyword that might otherwise be exploitable on this server, but apparently someone in charge of such things thinks it's likely enough to be worth blocking. Breaking it up with meaningless formatting tags (I use color=black) prevents the filter from picking it up.

Was it lynx or something else? The other one I know of that causes the server to go bananas is a colon followed by two spaces.
The colon+spaces isn't enough by itself, it has to follow certain things - such as the word 'to'.

big teej
2011-07-18, 09:24 AM

I've actually had this problem fairly often as well. typically my posts go through though.

in fact, everytime I refresh the page... it posts again :smallredface:

a few of the mods might remember a thread I posted recently about "forum hiccups"

this would be the hiccup I refer'd too. I always assumed it meant the forum was in the process of backing itself up or experiencing alot of traffic. as it typically happens late at night for me.