PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Holy Avenger without the cost

Matamane
2011-07-10, 09:46 AM
Is there some form of spell or ability which grants a weapon the abilities of a holy avenger?

NecroRick
2011-07-10, 10:19 AM
Yes there is.

See Holy Sword in the PHB and Lawful Sword, Undead Bane (etc) and Weapon of the Deity for various ways to create the Holy Avenger (or similar) effects you are after.

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-10, 10:20 AM
Yes there is.

...and...what is it? Or what are they, as the case may be?

Offhand I don't know, or else I'd post the responce, but this is a level of snark even I find grating.

And that is saying something.

Matamane
2011-07-10, 10:30 AM
What's the spell called?

I know about Holy Sword and Lawful Sword, that's not what I'm looking for

NecroRick
2011-07-10, 10:43 AM
What's the spell called?

I know about Holy Sword and Lawful Sword, that's not what I'm looking for

Oh, could you be more specific then? Holy Sword ticked all the boxes I remembered.

Douglas
2011-07-10, 11:11 AM
Oh, could you be more specific then? Holy Sword ticked all the boxes I remembered.
The Holy Sword spell gets: +5 enhancement bonus, Holy special property, free Magic Circle Against Evil effect

An actual Holy Avenger weapon gets: +5 enhancement bonus, Holy special property, cold iron special material, spell resistance scaling with paladin level granted to both the paladin and adjacent creatures, area Greater Dispel Magic at will.

It's easy enough to just cast Holy Sword on a cold iron weapon to get the special material part of that list, but it's still missing the spell resistance and the at will dispelling.

Knaight
2011-07-10, 11:19 AM
Is there some form of spell or ability which grants a weapon the abilities of a holy avenger?

Holy Sword is the closest, however there is another option, in which you ask your GM for it.

Quietus
2011-07-10, 11:58 AM
The Holy Sword spell gets: +5 enhancement bonus, Holy special property, free Magic Circle Against Evil effect

An actual Holy Avenger weapon gets: +5 enhancement bonus, Holy special property, cold iron special material, spell resistance scaling with paladin level granted to both the paladin and adjacent creatures, area Greater Dispel Magic at will.

It's easy enough to just cast Holy Sword on a cold iron weapon to get the special material part of that list, but it's still missing the spell resistance and the at will dispelling.

Honestly, SR 5+Paladin level is terrible. The only thing it'll stop is you casting touch spells that allow it because of your 1/2 casting progression. As to Greater Dispel, is there some kind of Sword of the Arcane Order type shenanigans to get you able to cast that yourself?

Glimbur
2011-07-10, 01:08 PM
Honestly, SR 5+Paladin level is terrible. The only thing it'll stop is you casting touch spells that allow it because of your 1/2 casting progression. As to Greater Dispel, is there some kind of Sword of the Arcane Order type shenanigans to get you able to cast that yourself?

This is because a Holy Avenger is not meant for paladins, it's meant for people using UMD via a similar reading to using UMD to get a very large caster level for spells from staffs.

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-10, 01:12 PM
This is because a Holy Avenger is not meant for paladins, it's meant for people using UMD via a similar reading to using UMD to get a very large caster level for spells from staffs.

...I really hope that was sarcasm, stating that the iconic paladin sword isn't actually for paladins...

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-07-10, 01:55 PM

...I really hope that was sarcasm, stating that the iconic paladin sword isn't actually for paladins...

Well, to be fair, core Paladins are kind of bad, so, yeah, a LG Rogue with UMD would be better with the Holy Avenger.

gallagher
2011-07-10, 02:04 PM
Well, to be fair, core Paladins are kind of bad, so, yeah, a LG Rogue with UMD would be better with the Holy Avenger.

by the light of Pelor, that is hilarious

but if you wanna be a paladin so badly, just play a persisting cleric, use divine strength and righteous might, and get yourself that holy avenger you want so badly.

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-10, 02:09 PM

Yeah, that means that a LG Rogue with UMD is *better* with the Holy Avenger, not that it is not meant for Paladins. There's a significant dichtomy here or else I wouldn't be calling you out on it. The implication is that the Holy Avenger was designed with someone besides paladins in mind, rather than it being, y'know, the iconic weapon for the class.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-07-10, 02:39 PM
Yeah, that means that a LG Rogue with UMD is *better* with the Holy Avenger, not that it is not meant for Paladins. There's a significant dichtomy here or else I wouldn't be calling you out on it. The implication is that the Holy Avenger was designed with someone besides paladins in mind, rather than it being, y'know, the iconic weapon for the class.

Eh, if you're LG and got the UMD, why not claim to be a Paladin in character? Not like most people will know the difference anyhow!:smalltongue:

gallagher
2011-07-10, 02:42 PM
Eh, if you're LG and got the UMD, why not claim to be a Paladin in character? Not like most people will know the difference anyhow!:smalltongue:

they will the second you bluff someone, or use poison, or when you fail a fortitude save, or the myriad of other things that paladins arent allowed to do

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-07-10, 02:47 PM
they will the second you bluff someone, or use poison, or when you fail a fortitude save, or the myriad of other things that paladins arent allowed to do

If they don't know your lying, not really!:smallbiggrin:

As for the poison, you could claim it is a ravage instead. Failing saves happens, however. You could just be an exceptionally frail or brass Paladin. It's not like the code of the Paladin is common knowledge or that at least each detail is, mind.