PDA

View Full Version : Cheap mage items

yugi24862
2011-07-10, 03:32 PM
I'm playing a level 3 homebrew magic using class, and dont know how to use my WBL. I have 2700 to play around with and the DM is giving us some basic free stuff.

Backpack
Bedroll
Torch x2
Flint & Steel
Trail Rations x3
Waterskin (full)
Potion of Cure Light Wounds x1
Alchemist's Fire or Acid or Smokestick or Tanglefoot Bag or an extra potion of CLW x1

So how can I spend my 2700gp usefully?

Drelua
2011-07-10, 03:37 PM
Do you have a familiar? If so, you can have it drop feather tokens of trees or anchors on people, if it can fly.

Moriato
2011-07-10, 03:40 PM
I'd suggest spending it on wands and/or scrolls of utility spells such as knock, detect secret doors, and the like. Stuff that's very useful when you need it, but that you don't use everyday. That way you can free up your own spell slots for combat-related spells

Temet Nosce
2011-07-10, 03:46 PM
Unless you had high enough stats to get a good strength, I'd go with a Handy Haversack. Pretty much my first item for around 90% of my characters. The other major one would be a Healing Belt. Get both if you can swing it (I believe it's 50 gp out of your price range, try to trade the potions in for it?)

NecroRick
2011-07-10, 06:54 PM
Arcanist's Gloves
Healing Belt
Pearl of Power (1,000 gp for an extra lvl 1 slot)
Amber amulet of Vermin
Chronocharm of the Uncaring Archmage
Anklet of Translocation

(etc)

There's plenty of interesting low level stuff.

Alternately, take Craft Wondrous Item at level 3, and go hunting for low caster level stuff that you can craft. There's an E6 thread along those lines, but steer clear of the debate about whether caster level means anything or not.

Baka Nikujaga
2011-07-10, 07:32 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/qn1lqa.jpg
It has already been established that Caster Levels are meaningful to the creation of magic items. But in any case, be sure to keep in mind that items should never cost more than one-fourth of the WBL at the given level (unless the DM has ruled otherwise).
Link. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204952)

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 07:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/IPxuQ.jpg Just grab as many magic items as you can and run.

But seriously,
Anklet of translocation
healing belt
amber amulets

They were already mentioned but they are very useful for pretty much anyone and at an excellent price.

NecroRick
2011-07-10, 10:48 PM
It has already been established that Caster Levels are meaningful to the creation of magic items. But in any case, be sure to keep in mind that items should never cost more than one-fourth of the WBL at the given level (unless the DM has ruled otherwise).
[url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204952Link.[/url]

Okay... I must not understand what you mean because when I checked that thread I see Pearl of Power (1st) on the list, but when I check SRD it has a caster level of 17th... which I had interpreted as you need to have a caster level of 17 or better in order to create it?

//now more confused than ever - and I don't even remember failing a save..

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 10:54 PM
Okay... I must not understand what you mean because when I checked that thread I see Pearl of Power (1st) on the list, but when I check SRD it has a caster level of 17th... which I had interpreted as you need to have a caster level of 17 or better in order to create it?

//now more confused than ever - and I don't even remember failing a save..

17th is for the highest level pearl of power. 9th, since you have to be level 17 to cast 9th level spells.

Baka Nikujaga
2011-07-10, 10:58 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/200whs1.jpg
People are still caught up on that issue? Here:

From the Dungeon Master's Guide*:

Caster Level: The power of the item (just as a spell's caster level measures its power). The caster level determines the item's saving throw bonus, as well as the range or other level-dependent aspects of the powers of the item (if variable). It also determines the level that must be contended with should the item come under the effect of a dispel magicor similar situation.

Note what it doesn't say. It doesn't say that you have to be the listed level to make a given item. It's not a prerequisite. You don't have to be 17th level to create a 1st-level pearl of power -- you just have to meet the prerequisites. Prerequisites, you'll notice, get their own section. It comes next. All you do with caster levels is determine the level-dependent effects of an item. Those listed in the DMG are just averages. When you determine an item randomly, or pick one out of the book for your player characters to find or to equip an NPC, that's the caster level of the item. That's all it is.

Caster Level
Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 215
Problem: The last two sentences in the section on Caster
Level are ambiguous and potentially misleading.
Solution: Replace with this text: For other magic items, the
caster level is determined by the creator. The minimum caster
level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given.

And if you want a better comparison for an item that restores a "spell slot," refer to the requirements of the Memento Magica line:

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, ability to spontaneously cast spells of the spell level to be regained.

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 11:04 PM
People are still caught up on that issue?

Nobody is caught up on that issue. It was clear even before the errata. He was confused by the link you posted and what you said.

{{scrubbed{{

Baka Nikujaga
2011-07-10, 11:18 PM
All you're doing is positing an opinion and asking a question, there's nothing that controversial over it (nor does it explicitly break any of the rules in so far as I am aware). But as to answer your question, it is not entirely necessary. And in some posts (of which this is one), I do not include a picture. However, I view posting in blue as necessary.

Nobody is caught up on that issue. It was clear even before the errata. He was confused by the link you posted and what you said.

NecroRick is, was, or has been confused by the contradicting numbers presented by the E6 Guide and the SRD, which means he or she would not have come to the same conclusion you have (regardless of errata). This is supported by his inclusion of "which I had interpreted as you need to have a caster level of 17 or better in order to create it?"

NecroRick
2011-07-10, 11:36 PM
I was not asking for a reposting of what everyone already knows - I was pointing out this:

Pearl of Power
This seemingly normal pearl of average size and luster is a potent aid to all spellcasters who prepare spells (clerics, druids, rangers, paladins, and wizards). Once per day on command, a pearl of power enables the possessor to recall any one spell that she had prepared and then cast. The spell is then prepared again, just as if it had not been cast. The spell must be of a particular level, depending on the pearl. Different pearls exist for recalling one spell per day of each level from 1st through 9th and for the recall of two spells per day (each of a different level, 6th or lower).

Strong transmutation; CL 17th; Craft Wondrous Item, creator must be able to cast spells of the spell level to be recalled; Price 1,000 gp (1st), 4,000 gp (2nd), 9,000 gp (3rd), 16,000 gp (4th), 25,000 gp (5th), 36,000 gp (6th), 49,000 gp (7th), 64,000 gp (8th), 81,000 gp (9th), or 70,000 gp (two spells).

There is only one CL mentioned for Pearls of Power, and that is 17th.

As such, I don't see how they snuck onto the E6 list. <-my confusion

Contrast with the Ring of Wizardry which has different CLs for the different levels (but for which you still need a limited wish, which likely overrides some of the lower CLs if you're DIY).

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 11:48 PM
I was not asking for a reposting of what everyone already knows - I was pointing out this:

There is only one CL mentioned for Pearls of Power, and that is 17th.

As such, I don't see how they snuck onto the E6 list. <-my confusion

Contrast with the Ring of Wizardry which has different CLs for the different levels (but for which you still need a limited wish, which likely overrides some of the lower CLs if you're DIY).

Dude, there are 9 magic items listed there. The only CL listed is for the highest one.

NecroRick
2011-07-11, 12:00 AM
Dude, there are 9 magic items listed there. The only CL listed is for the highest one.

Bro, there is only one CL mentioned for Pearls of Power, and that is 17th.

kharmakazy
2011-07-11, 12:08 AM
Bro, there is only one CL mentioned for Pearls of Power, and that is 17th.

Man, that is clearly for the 9th level one and not the first level one.

NecroRick
2011-07-11, 12:10 AM
Man, that is clearly for the 9th level one and not the first level one.

Honey bunch, there is only one listed, so it must be for all of them. Cf Ring of Wizardry

kharmakazy
2011-07-11, 12:12 AM
Here, let me fix that for you.

Gear and Magic Items

What is the caster level required to create a pearl of power?

Though the listed Caster Level for a pearl of power is 17th, that caster level is not part of the Requirements listing for that item. Therefore, the only caster level requirement for a pearl of power is the character has to be able to cast spells of the desired level.

However, it makes sense that the minimum caster level of the pearl is the minimum caster level necessary to cast spells of that level--it would be strange for a 2nd-level pearl to be CL 1st.

For example, a 3rd-level wizard with Craft Wondrous Item can create a 1st-level pearl, with a minimum caster level of 1. He can set the caster level to whatever he wants (assuming he can meet the crafting DC), though the pearl's caster level has no effect on its powers (other than its ability to resist dispel magic). If he wants to make a 2nd-level pearl, the caster level has to be at least 3, as wizards can't cast 2nd-level spells until they reach character level 3. He can even try to make a 3rd-level pearl, though the minimum caster level is 5, and he adds +5 to the DC because he doesn't meet the "able to cast 3rd-level spells" requirement.

(SKR, 8/18/10)

–Sean K Reynolds (08/18/10)

Baka Nikujaga
2011-07-11, 03:58 AM
I...don't understand why we're covering this again...

This is the prerequisites of a Pearl of Power:

Craft Wondrous Item, creator must be able to cast spells of the spell level to be recalled

This is the requirement necessary to produce a Ring of Wizardry (regardless of type):

Forge Ring, Limited Wish

And finally this is what is needed to make a Memento Magica:

Craft Wondrous Item, ability to spontaneously cast spells of the spell level to be regained.

As mentioned in the quote I provided by Monte Cook and kharmakazy's quote from Sean K. Reynolds, these are the requirements that must be met in order to make the magical item. Thus, the caster level, of which is listed previous to the item prerequisites, is not a static number and is subject to the whims of the magic item's creator, as opposed to the minimum requirements necessary to create the item.

EDIT:
If this discussion is to continue...perhaps we should make another thread for it?
Are either of you even serious at this point?

NecroRick
2011-07-11, 05:10 AM
Here, let me fix that for you.

Right, got it. Thanks.

NecroRick
2011-07-11, 05:12 AM
I...don't understand why we're covering this again...

If you don't understand why a debate is happening feel free to not get involved.

Are either of you even serious at this point?

It's sorted, leave it alone.