PDA

View Full Version : Creating Griffith

ibstudent220
2011-07-10, 05:23 PM
My DM has asked me to build a 10th level character (in D&D 3.5) based on Griffith from the manga/anime, Berserk. He's already built Guts, and (through some questionable rulings) has Guts (Medium-sized human) wielding a Gargantuan-sized greatsword while taking only a -4 penalty to attack rolls. Any ideas as to how I can build Griffith so that he can stand a chance against Guts?

Please avoid suggesting any powers that Griffith only gained after becoming Femto.

nyarlathotep
2011-07-10, 05:39 PM
The think is that by the time Guts is wielding a sword even close to gargantuan size Griffith isn't able to stand up to him. It is shown in their one on one even when Guts is using only a slightly bigger than normal sword that he can beat Griffith with next to no effort. Griffith's real strengths are planning and leadership, which if he is an NPC is almost entirely roleplaying.

ibstudent220
2011-07-10, 05:59 PM
Both Guts and Griffith are NPC's that my character is going to control, apparently, summoning them with a good artifact or an evil artifact. I'd like Guts and Griffith to both be equally appealing to summon, to avoid having my character be biased by the power of one over the other. I'm just not sure what direction I should take Griffith to do this.

Prime32
2011-07-10, 06:32 PM
The think is that by the time Guts is wielding a sword even close to gargantuan size Griffith isn't able to stand up to him. It is shown in their one on one even when Guts is using only a slightly bigger than normal sword that he can beat Griffith with next to no effort. Griffith's real strengths are planning and leadership, which if he is an NPC is almost entirely roleplaying.Eh? By the time Guts is at that stage, Griffith has ascended to godhood.

For Femto the best I can think of is a cleric 8/Savage Progression ghost (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) 2. Feats: Otherworldly so you're an Outsider who can't be turned, Ghostly Grasp so you can interact with material objects, Dynamic Priest so you're Cha SAD, and Leadership for obvious reasons.

Pre-Eclipse I'd go with a Silverbrow human Marshal 1/Bard 1/Crusader 8. Feats: Draconic Aura, Extra Music, Leadership, Song of the White Raven, Snowflake Wardance

Midnight_v
2011-07-10, 06:44 PM
Hmm.... the simplest and best answer is to make him a: Warblade/Swordsage

Built with lots of counters, and diamond mind attacks, maybe a white raven charge or two.
So the turns of griffon would look like:

1: Get summoned next to opponent:
1A: Standard Action: Devastating throw, (forcing the opponent to stuble after being tripped, and fall on his face, at the feet of your allies. Dealing hime an extra 2d6 as you swat him on the behind when he looses his footing.

2: Move to the opponent (waiting for him to try to get up, and everyone getting AoO on him for doing so)

3 Swift/immediate (as much as I'd like to say "put on a stance" here you're going to wait and use a counter as doing what Griffith just did might get him charged, so wait and when someone goes to him use counter charge, or wall of blades (you'll have both)

4 Attack of opportunity vs the opponent that was knocked prone when they try to get up.

Turn 2 is similar: If you're opponent is 1 person: and if you have a rogue in the party...
Swift: Assassins stance
Standard: Sappire Nightmare Blade (rendering the opponent flatfooted for the round
Move: Tumble behind ally: So that griffith may not be attacked unless the enemy provokes AoO's for movement.

And so on...
But basically
Griffith's whole tihng is.
Make a strike that controls movement/does extra damage/grants flatfooted, sets up attacks of opportunity for the allies
Counters your reprisal attacks, including, and especially charges.
Moves any round where he can't counter so enemies can't full attack hime without provoking from allies (but the throw/trip strike chain is just as good.)