PDA

View Full Version : Awkward Combatant

ExemplarofAvg
2011-07-10, 06:04 PM
Two-Bladed Sword and a Tower Shield, together, somehow... Beyond The Weapon Focus/Specialization Tree, I'm at a Loss, a Two-Bladed Sword can be used in one hand and is effectively a Longsword so using both isn't really that big of an issue. But it has to be a Two-Bladed Sword and a Tower Shield and One of the Heavy Exotic Armors from Races of Stone. Suggestions?

Oh, and this all routes from a "Pull a Card out of a Hat" challenge. Of all sorts of odd Exotic Weapons. (Yes the Tower Shield is not Exotic, but I haven't seen many builds that utilize it other than for cover.)

Forgot this important part.
1. Has to be level 10. There's going to be a free for all between the characters.
2. No Magic Items, permanancied Spells etc. At All. (Casters are allowed to cast spells on themselves once combat has begun, not before)
3. Has to use the listed items. (In this Case, Two-Bladed Sword, Tower Shield and Heavy Exotic Armor from Races of Stone.
4. No LA races, No Templates.
5. Survive.

UserClone
2011-07-10, 06:14 PM
Enchant the Tower Shield with the animated magical enhancement.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-07-10, 06:23 PM
Enchant the Tower Shield with the animated magical enhancement.

Yeah, forgot that part. 1 second.

UserClone
2011-07-10, 07:33 PM
Okay, well you're ****ed then. The rules only allow for one arm on the shield and two arms on the weapon. So unless you are a race which has four arms, you can't do it. You can't be one because they invariably have LA. This is the problem with throwing on a bunch of limitations and then randomly rolling. Randomly rolling can be a fun challenge, as can working within restrictions, but not usually both at the same time. Certainly not in this case. Why not just tell him you aren't interested in playing a character who has to either ditch his shield to use his weapon (so why force the shield on you), or ditch the weapon in order to use the shield (so why be in melee)?

PollyOliver
2011-07-10, 07:40 PM
Gish it up with girallon's blessing and the other standard gish bits? It'll eat up a round, but that's the only way you're going to be using both without magic items that I can think of, unless there are any no-LA multi-armed races.. Alternately, are you allowed to shield bash with a tower shield?

ExemplarofAvg
2011-07-10, 07:56 PM
Okay, well you're ****ed then. The rules only allow for one arm on the shield and two arms on the weapon. So unless you are a race which has four arms, you can't do it. You can't be one because they invariably have LA. This is the problem with throwing on a bunch of limitations and then randomly rolling. Randomly rolling can be a fun challenge, as can working within restrictions, but not usually both at the same time. Certainly not in this case. Why not just tell him you aren't interested in playing a character who has to either ditch his shield to use his weapon (so why force the shield on you), or ditch the weapon in order to use the shield (so why be in melee)?

A creature wielding a two-bladed sword in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

This line was ruled to mean that well the Two-Bladed sword can be used technically like a longsword. Which makes everything a lot easier.

Gish it up with girallon's blessing and the other standard gish bits? It'll eat up a round, but that's the only way you're going to be using both without magic items that I can think of, unless there are any no-LA multi-armed races.. Alternately, are you allowed to shield bash with a tower shield?

Hmm, that would allow better use of the sword (Both Ends), and no as per the rules. "You cannot bash with a tower shield, nor can you use your shield hand for anything else."

So yeah.. if I look at it like a Longsword and a Tower Shield it seems less daunting, also the Armor has been locked down as Battle Plate (Heavy, Exotic, +9 Armor, +1 Max Dex, −7 Penalty, 50% Spell Failure)

Flame of Anor
2011-07-11, 02:19 AM
I'm almost certain there's a spell that will animate your shield.