PDA

View Full Version : Ancient "Atlantis" Type Landscape Found

Lord of Shadows
2011-07-10, 07:32 PM
Not sure why the author chose to refer to Atlantis in this story, there isn't much to connect it to that topic, but it is interesting. Makes you wonder what else lies undiscovered..

Yahoo story (from LiveScience):

http://news.yahoo.com/lost-world-atlantis-landscape-discovered-170805677.html

Krade
2011-07-10, 08:11 PM
How can they talk about this and not give pictures? I am disappoint:smallannoyed:

Tirian
2011-07-10, 08:44 PM
To me, the most implausible thing about the search for Atlantis is the commonly-held notion that we were going to find a ruined city underwater in situ, like there was an entire island that collapsed into a sinkhole or something. The fact that somewhere in the world and sometime in history an island actually did sink by 2-3 km is stunning and cool.

Boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada....

Asthix
2011-07-10, 09:08 PM
So the Atlantis reference is made because this strata really looks like it's still an aboveground landscape? Even though it's buried under kilometers of sediment and no one will ever see it?

I can understand the correlation, but the reference still smacks of sensationalism. At least if Atlantis is buried under kilometers of sediment I know we can find it...

Also, excellent point about the assumption that Atlantis would really still look like an aboveground landscape.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-07-10, 09:12 PM
And besides, I still hold to the opinion that it's as useless as looking for Narnia. It's a story built to make a point.

Mystic Muse
2011-07-10, 09:17 PM
And besides, I still hold to the opinion that it's as useless as looking for Narnia. It's a story built to make a point.

Shush you, you dream killer!:smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-07-10, 09:20 PM
Shush you, you dream killer!:smalltongue:

Just doin' mah painful job, bringing people to their senses, one little step at a time.

Mystic Muse
2011-07-10, 09:23 PM
Just doin' mah painful job, bringing people to their senses, one little step at a time.

Senses?

I still have those?

(On topic, this sounds pretty cool)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-07-10, 09:28 PM
Senses?

I still have those?

(On topic, this sounds pretty cool)

The Atlantis bid for media aside, it does sound pretty cool. I was thinking "it could just be strangely shaped layers" until they mentioned the coal and stuff.

grimbold
2011-07-12, 06:04 PM
do these people do realize that Atlantis was a fictional account written by plato and relates tp the Minotoans whose civilization was destroyed by a tsunami?

lobablob
2011-07-12, 06:39 PM
do these people do realize that Atlantis was a fictional account written by plato and relates tp the Minotoans whose civilization was destroyed by a tsunami?

I know someone who believes in Atlantis, and no, he doesn't care at all that it was made up in one of Plato's dialogues. He hasn't been able to give any reasons for believing in Atlantis either, so I've come to the conclusion that it is a non rational belief for him and there's no point arguing about it. I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for others.

Lord Loss
2011-07-12, 08:58 PM

You don't believe in Narnia? :smallyuk:

And to think, I thought you were one of the more rational posters on this forum...

:smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-07-12, 10:31 PM
You don't believe in Narnia? :smallyuk:

And to think, I thought you were one of the more rational posters on this forum...

:smalltongue:

Man, I'm like a mad, bubble-popping MACHINE! Take that, bubbles! Your bubbles; I have burst them.

grimbold
2011-07-13, 03:42 PM
Man, I'm like a mad, bubble-popping MACHINE! Take that, bubbles! Your bubbles; I have burst them.

are you a pincushion?

Dr.Epic
2011-07-13, 05:00 PM
Well, I can definitely say this much; it certainly isn't Atlantis. That's just silly.

It's R'lyeh.:smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2011-07-13, 06:36 PM
To me, the most implausible thing about the search for Atlantis is the commonly-held notion that we were going to find a ruined city underwater in situ, like there was an entire island that collapsed into a sinkhole or something. The fact that somewhere in the world and sometime in history an island actually did sink by 2-3 km is stunning and cool.

Boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada....

While not by a few kilometers perhaps, this has occurred in the Netherlands are several locations in the past, most of them in Zeeland.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-07-13, 08:21 PM
While not by a few kilometers perhaps, this has occurred in the Netherlands are several locations in the past, most of them in Zeeland.

Aye, well Zeeland's *this* close to being underwater already! It's not for nothing it's called 'sealand'!

Trekkin
2011-07-14, 12:25 AM
Well, I can definitely say this much; it certainly isn't Atlantis. That's just silly.

It's R'lyeh.:smallbiggrin:

Honestly, they're one and the same for journalistic purposes; one's just "edgier" than the other. They're both shorthand that's useful any time someone notices a Google Earth mapping abnormality or an unusual chunk of underwater stone or so forth.