PDA

View Full Version : Houserule Musings

RandomNPC
2011-07-10, 07:43 PM
Not really complaining or ranting about how great it is, just a bit in the middle, but what do you think of these?

1: threatened areas.
As long as you stay within a threatened area, you can move square to square, you only provoke AoO from leaving an enemies threatened area entirely.

2: 5 foot step.
5 foot is a free action, so you can five foot out of threatened areas, and then move 30 and then attack.

Ok, as a competent fighter I agree with 1 and have minor issues with 2, what's everyone think?

BillyBobJoe
2011-07-10, 07:45 PM
1 nerfs lockdown types, and 2 allows anyone to move out of anyone's threat range, meaning AoO are all but worthless unless you have reach.

Alabenson
2011-07-10, 07:47 PM
The problem with 1 is it really screws over anything with more than 5ft. reach.

I have less issues with 2, beyond the fact that the original 5ft. step should count towards movement for the round. Keep in mind that this greatly empowers charger builds.

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 07:47 PM
I think both of those are entirely unnecessary. Are AoOs such an issue that your DM thinks they need to be nerf'd? Leave the poor melee types alone, they have suffered enough.

These make combat reflexes useless. I can just jog around a dragon with no fear of repercussions.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-07-10, 07:48 PM
1 nerfs lockdown types, and 2 allows anyone to move out of anyone's threat range, meaning AoO are all but worthless unless you have reach.

No, it doesn't. Good lockdown types will use whichever stance let's them take an AoO for all movement.

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 07:51 PM
No, it doesn't. Good lockdown types will use whichever stance let's them take an AoO for all movement.

Nerfs NON ToB lockdown builds... there.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-07-10, 07:52 PM
Nerfs NON ToB lockdown builds... there.

True.

As for the issue at hand, I do not agree with 2, but, assuming ToB is on the field, one should be fine.

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 07:57 PM
True.

As for the issue at hand, I do not agree with 2, but, assuming ToB is on the field, one should be fine.

I disagree. At this point for most builds you may as well get rid of attacks of opportunity. You aren't going to have many anyhow, and the DM clearly doesn't like them for some reason.

Must have had a PC with a lockdown build from the charop board, :smallbiggrin:

Malimar
2011-07-10, 09:00 PM
2: 5 foot step.
5 foot is a free action, so you can five foot out of threatened areas, and then move 30 and then attack.

I hope you mean 5 foot step as a swift action, not a free action. Otherwise: infinite movement. Whee!

As for the ideas themselves: they seem unnecessary. They pretty much do away with AoOs. If you must nerf AoOs (which you probably shouldn't; they're an important part of combat), streamline the process by just getting rid of them altogether instead of adding potentially confusing new rules.