PDA

View Full Version : Record will saves on a level 3 character?

NineThePuma
2011-07-10, 07:57 PM
Is there any way (other than a nat 20) to make a DC 40 will save at level 3, assuming normal gold rules and stuff?

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 08:03 PM
Should everyone assume that pun pun type builds are out?

elonin
2011-07-10, 08:07 PM
Well considering that pun-pun isn't a legal build I think so.

PollyOliver
2011-07-10, 08:15 PM
Hmm...if you stacked templates to get a high CON, spent 1/3 (or is it 1/2) your wealth on the best concentration tool you could get, and then moment of perfect mind-ed it and did everything you could to pump your concentration check?

Dragonborn mineral warrior some other template with a CON bonus dwarf or gnome. Bonus points for that ? template increasing you to large so you can add on half-minotaur for another +2 CON with no LA. If you still have anything of a charisma bonus after stacking on your templates, maybe take your 1 level in marshal with motivate CON? Or is there a better base class that can boost your CON checks in any way at level 1?

Buy the best tool you can afford for concentration. If flaws and traits are allowed, take focused for a +1 and you'll have the feats for skill focus (concentration). Add in the other assorted ways to boost skill checks, most of which I probably admittedly do not know--maybe someone else could help out here?

I think you can get it to the point where it's no longer natural 20 territory, but you probably still will need to roll pretty well.

MeeposFire
2011-07-10, 08:21 PM
Well considering that pun-pun isn't a legal build I think so.

Since when is Pun-Pun not legal? As far as I have seen it has always been legal but always suggested you never play one.

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 08:25 PM
Or if the character is racially immune to whatever that will save is attempting to do...

Unless the PC is doing something monumentally stupid, I can't think of any situation where it is appropriate for a level 3 character to be called to make a dc 40 save outside of DM mandated plot point spells, and even then I wouldn't tell them what the DC is.

Eldariel
2011-07-10, 08:28 PM
Well. We can easily get:

6 base from classes
8 from Wis (Old Anthrobat with 18)
2 Iron Will
6 Cumbrous Will
2 Resistance

+24 total. That's off the top of my head, mind. You could add a few more easily. So yes, even with just basic number stacking it'd be possible to get to +30 to have decent chances at DC 40 on level 3 but you'd have one seriously dysfunctional character.

RedWarrior0
2011-07-10, 08:29 PM
Hm...
All SRD stuff:
Iron Will gives a +2 untyped
Deep Dwarf gives you +3 on saves vs. spells and SLAs; otherwise, Halfling gives +1 on all saves and +3 vs fear; both are racial
Wisdom 18 gives you another +4; stat-based
Unless I misunderstand the Base save rules, multiclassing three ways into classes that get +2 Will Save at level 1 gives another +6; Base
(*Totals*)
So, assuming spell or fear effect, it's +15; Of course, this is without items and spells.

The first level Protection spells give a +2 resistance bonus against certain alignments
Remove fear (first level) gives a Morale bonus for +4 against fear; otherwise, Heroism (second or third) for a +2 morale bonus (If you can UMD effectively, get a scroll of greater heroism to up it to +4 and fear immunity)
Owl's Wisdom (a potion of it) gives a +2 Will save bonus due to upping wisdom

So if you know what alignment the effect is, and it's a fear effect, you can get +23 to a will save; autosuccess with a good enough UMD check

For a non-fear effect, you get +21; +23 with good enough UMD

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-07-10, 08:55 PM
Paladin2 or Crusader2 also nets you Charisma bonus to Will save. So a Cleric1/Crusader2 (the beginnings of either Idiot Crusader or d2 Crusader already) or a Cleric1/Pal2 (Cloistered, possibly with Devotions to help) would be a good class choice.

In fact, the Protection domain ability can be useful here, if your Charisma modifier is low, then Cleric4 might be better with the Protection Domain. Cleric3 means a +3 base Will save (over the +2 from a Cleric1/Pal2), and the Protection Domain gives you a bonus equal to your Cleric level. So you can get a +3 from the domain ability, plus the +3 from your class, for a base +6, before any shenanigans, such as has already been suggested.

The bonus from the spell Protection from Evil would not stack from the bonus from the Protection Domain. So if you go Cleric1/Pal2 or Crusader2, then you can use Protection from Evil to make it roughly balance out.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-07-11, 01:16 AM
Moment of Perfect Mind

6 ranks in concentration
+7 competance item
+2 mw item
+5 con mod
+3 skill focus
+1 focused trait
+2 dijinn bloodline

is there a +2 to two skill feat with concentration on one side?

does this check need to be made spontaneously and an unlimited number of times?

If not there are lots of temporary boosts.

The best I can think of would be divine insight if cast with enough caster level boosts it will be waiting all day to give you a +15 insight bonus. with that you could auto pass a DC 40 check once per day.

6 ranks
+5 Con
+5 competence item
+3 skill focus:concentration
+15 insight

roll a 1 and that's 40 even without the questionable mw concentration itemand spening a more reasonable portion of wbl on a competence item.

So out of curiosity is there a semipractical reason for this?

Cespenar
2011-07-11, 02:54 AM
If there's a +0LA +2 Cha race, A Cleric1/Marshal1/Warlock1 can easily pass +30, I believe.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-07-11, 05:11 AM
lesser aaisimar I believe.

Username_too_lo
2011-07-11, 08:49 AM
One level of Warlock with Dark One's Own Luck and Boosted Charisma (circa +5 bonus to Will)

Thurbane
2011-07-11, 09:20 PM
lesser aaisimar I believe.
Also Spellscale and Hellbred, as well as a variety of FR elf from memory.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-07-11, 09:25 PM
Also Spellscale and Hellbred, as well as a variety of FR elf from memory.
star elf, I believe.

Telonius
2011-07-11, 09:31 PM
Depends on what the Will save is for. If it's an attempt at possession, a simple first-level Cleric spell (Protection from X) will foil it. If it's a save vs. Fear, Paladin3 is immune.