PDA

View Full Version : Advice on the best System

Jallorn
2011-07-10, 07:59 PM
So there was a game that used to be played on the neopets roleplaying boards. It was freeform over there, but I'm thinking of reviving it, and I'd like to play with a system.

The idea then was a bunch of teenagers (because everyone on those boards was teenagers back then) kidnapped by a government program and then turned into animal-human hybrids as part of some experiment. The idea now is simply people kidnapped and transformed into animal-human hybrids in the name of SCIENCE and in the search for super-soldiers.

So now I'm faced with a decision of what system to use. I'm thinking MnM or GURPS will probably work best, but I'd like some other opinions first.

Jude_H
2011-07-10, 09:04 PM
Really depends on the kinds of things you want the system to support.

What kinds of scenes you want to be important, what tone you want, &c.

d20, for instance, would be a terrible system for a game centered around dramatic story-driven footraces.

DukeofDellot
2011-07-10, 09:52 PM
I'd use Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and other Oddities, personally.

But I've run many a furry game in GURPS... and one with Project Dual-Stat... well, it wasn't a furry game, I included a couple races of artificial people created through biologically engineering animals (specifically Raccoons, Foxes, and Rabbits) and it turned out that those were the races everyone wanted to play.

Arguably many of my Pathfinder games were then Furry games. Between the Tengu and the Animus (Alluria Publishing's Remarkable Races)... Kobolds... and how I've been describing Orcs as greenish pig men...

We had a player, The Duck... that's what we call him. He wouldn't play a game (at least it was difficult for him to enjoy a game) if we didn't allow him to play some sort of furry... and his roommate (let's call him Bad Gamer Gil)... but...

Yeah, um, you mentioned GURPS where it's fairly easy to create racial templates on the fly once you've grown accustomed to the system.

Step one, the player describes the race, in this case, what animal he'd like to resemble and any specific trait's he'd like.

Step two, open your basic set (volume one) to that big green traits list at the back of the book. Skim over for any advantages or disadvantages that seems "just right". Write them down in your notebook while reading them off to the player. If you don't remember what something is but it sounds interesting, look it up real quick you have the page number (and the book) in front of you.

Step three, ask the player if there's anything obvious missed, any opinions he might have, and what type of character he's going to play (might add things... like say he's a thief that's also a squirrel... clinging is a must... I mean it's probably an obvious, but not so much).

Step four, total the traits and return with a point cost.

Attribute modifiers and racial skills are usually pretty awkward to implement unless you're running a Character Template heavy game (this is extra work), so rather run your mouth on which attribute levels and skills lend themselves (in your mind anyways) to the race.

Then again, TMNT has all the work done already... but... money you may not have already spent... and probably not worth even a fraction of what you'd pay for it. I personally think it's hilarious.

Gavinfoxx
2011-07-11, 12:43 AM
GURPS might be a liiiittle bit too detailed for this sort of thing. For the sort of game you mention, I would suggest something MUCH MUCH MUCH more lightweight. The aforementioned TMNT game, or maybe Teenagers From Outer Space? Or even D6 Adventure?

Arbane
2011-07-11, 01:51 AM
GURPS might be a liiiittle bit too detailed for this sort of thing. For the sort of game you mention, I would suggest something MUCH MUCH MUCH more lightweight. The aforementioned TMNT game, or maybe Teenagers From Outer Space? Or even D6 Adventure?

Even something like RISUS or FATE would work fine.