PDA

View Full Version : PF Whale Hunt

Fox45
2011-07-10, 08:13 PM
So I've been making this world for some high seas adventuring using the Pathfinder rules and it was going all well and good until something occured to me. In my world of sea voyages and swashbuckling action there has to be whalers. It can't be avoided whales being the source for oil back in the day, and with the dwarves in my world having some basic steam power technology having oil would be a necessity. So I decided to research it and try and calculate a whale hunt using Pathfinder rules. The Whale stats in Bestiary 2 seemed a bit high for a group of NPCs so I used the stats in the D&D 3.5 Monster Manuel. I also used the 3.5 harpoon since Pathfinder doesn't have one that's not 3rd party yet.

So this is how it goes the ship would spot some whales and the crew would jump into action. Lowering the row boats and rowing out to their quarry. Once they were close they would stop rowing and drift as close as they could. Then the harpooner would strike and 1 of 3 things would happen. The whale would dive down, it would turn and attack or it would swim away close to the surface. If it swims away the whalers tie off the line and let the whale tire itself out from pulling their boat. Once the whale couldn't drag them any further the mate would come up with a spear and stab at it until they would see blood come out of it's blowhole. At that point the whale's lungs have been punctured and the whalers just wait for it to drown in it's own blood, which takes a few minutes. They then drag it back to the ship to cut off it's flesh and cook it down into oil.

Following the historical way of killing whales the only thing that the NPCs really need is the mate to be a rogue with the bleeding attack rogue talent, he just does sneak attack to it acouple of times and then they wait around 20 to 70 or so rounds for the whale to die.

So yeah I calculated all that out just so I could stop wondering how a bunch of NPCs could do it. Whaling is something that I thing of as horrible. They hunted whales so much between the 17 and 18 hundreds that whalers from New England would have to sail all the way around South America to the Pacific Ocean to hunt whales. As someone who grew up hearing "Save the Whales" and watching Star Trek 4(where they save the whales) I feel pretty terrible now that I've done these calculations. And now if you'll excuse me I have to go calculate how much damage a baby deals as a thrown weapon.

Stront
2011-07-10, 08:17 PM
I agree on your mundane way of killing whales but in a fantasy magical world I would think hiring a wizard or other caster to expedite the process would make more sense. Even using something as simple as a magical device to summon a water elemental could help in the process. Just my 2 cents though.

The Glyphstone
2011-07-10, 08:19 PM
In a fantasy world, who's to say the whales can't fight back?

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 08:21 PM
Since you seem to have done the research, I'm curious what happened when 1 or 2 happened! What happens when the whale dives? what happens when it attacks? Those seem like very dire situations at first thought.

If it dove down it would take the little boat with it, unless you could somehow make it super buoyant or immovable (dnd here... not irl)

Zale
2011-07-10, 08:32 PM

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx249/Zale13/NINJA20WHALE.jpg

The doom you will never see approaching.

Ninja.. Whale..

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 08:36 PM

That was one of the options he listed as a possibility.

As an aside, in a fantasy setting hunting whales is how you wind up hunted by a feral, Anthropomorphic Baleen whale druid :smallbiggrin:

Fox45
2011-07-10, 08:36 PM
If it dove down they would drop or cut the rope. If it attacked well that's where the dramatic paintings and horror stories of whale hunting come in. They can sink a whole ship, a little row boat that seats 8 or 9 doesn't stand a chance.

FMArthur
2011-07-10, 08:40 PM
http://img.booru.org/Grognard//images/19/431f2f1a4d962d68d013f9c3beeabb7fd84e1894.jpg

This is what your whales need to be for whaling to be an entertaining and interesting part of the game.

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 08:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LmFKi.png Would like a word...

Ravens_cry
2011-07-10, 08:44 PM

As an aside, in a fantasy setting hunting whales is how you wind up hunted by a feral, albino Anthropomorphic Baleen whale druid :smallbiggrin:
Fixed that for you.:smalltongue:

Fox45
2011-07-10, 08:50 PM
And of course as I'm sharing this with my friends they have to be silly about it can give me some quotes.

"Don't f#** with me now man, I am Ahab."
From Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

and of course

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/167184_1669208183454_1634825808_1453314_7754661_n. jpg

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 08:55 PM
And of course as I'm sharing this with my friends they have to be silly about it can give me some quotes.

"Don't f#** with me now man, I am Ahab."
From Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

and of course

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/167184_1669208183454_1634825808_1453314_7754661_n. jpg

That comic was the first thing I thought of, but didn't want to bother editing it down. WHITE WHALE HOLY GRAIL

The Glyphstone
2011-07-10, 09:39 PM

As an aside, in a fantasy setting hunting whales is how you wind up hunted by a feral, Anthropomorphic Baleen whale druid :smallbiggrin:

No, I'm talking about option 4 - the Whales going on the offensive (possibly lead by an Anthro Baleen Whale druid, like you said).:smallwink:

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 09:42 PM
Then the harpooner would strike and 1 of 3 things would happen. The whale would dive down, it would turn and attack or it would swim away close to the surface.

Or are you talking about a scenario where instead of people hunting whales, the whales hunt people?

Zale
2011-07-10, 10:32 PM
Whales going Peopling?

Gabe the Bard
2011-07-10, 11:09 PM
Hey now, don't whale on the OP! :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2011-07-10, 11:50 PM
Hey now, don't whale on the OP! :smallbiggrin:
Now you are fishing for laughs. Please, this thread has a serious porpoise, so don't krill it with puns, however finny they may be.