PDA

View Full Version : Why are there no prestige classes focused on the scythe?

maximus25
2011-07-10, 10:34 PM
I use the scythe a lot. I want more awesome prestige classes focusing on scythe using stuff.

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-10, 10:35 PM
Most prestige classes aren't focused on a single weapon because they tend to be kind of niche. It's better to make a prestige class that can be used by numerous types of characters.

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 10:38 PM
Warblade 20. There is your PrC based around the scythe. You could mix some kensai in there somewhere if you are feeling cocky.

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-10, 10:39 PM
Warblade 20. There is your PrC based around the scythe. You could mix some kensai in there somewhere if you are feeling cocky.

Uh...Warblade isn't a prestige class. Kensei is, I guess, by some definitions, though see my previous post for commentary on that.

EDIT
But wait, you know this.

Jeeze, the snark on this place is amazing even to me, and I'm incredibly snarky.

NecroRick
2011-07-10, 10:41 PM
Because Necromancers cannot have good things (tm).

maximus25
2011-07-10, 10:45 PM
I'm playing a Wight, evolved 3X, spelltouched, succubus 3(Monster class). I got a scythe grafted to my hand using rules in fiend folio. It's awesome, I deal so many negative levels.

I want to go into a prestige class once I get through 9 more levels of succubus. If I can't go into one focused on scythe usage, which one should I go into? I can't pick one.

kharmakazy
2011-07-10, 10:45 PM
Meh. You can treat warblade as a PrC with no requirements!

Go into warblade and get mithral/adamantine tornado maneuvers to do whirlwind (or 2) attacks as standard actions! Mountain hammer to scyth right through adamantine walls!

Imagine how many negative levels you could inflict trapsing into the middle of melee and doing 2 whirlwind attacks as a standard action!

Saintheart
2011-07-10, 11:40 PM
Pity a scythe isn't classed as an exotic weapon; Exotic Weapon Master is three levels long and might be what you're looking for. Maybe ask a DM if you can refluff?

Big Fau
2011-07-11, 12:13 AM
Pity a scythe isn't classed as an exotic weapon; Exotic Weapon Master is three levels long and might be what you're looking for. Maybe ask a DM if you can refluff?

The Talenta Sharrash (ECS) is though.

Stupid errata nerfing it's crit range…

kharmakazy
2011-07-11, 12:16 AM
Glue a dagger to the other end, now it's exotic!

Ravens_cry
2011-07-11, 12:16 AM
I'm playing a Wight, evolved 3X, spelltouched, succubus 3(Monster class). I got a scythe grafted to my hand using rules in fiend folio. It's awesome, I deal so many negative levels.

I want to go into a prestige class once I get through 9 more levels of succubus. If I can't go into one focused on scythe usage, which one should I go into? I can't pick one.
How the flaming flick knife did you qualify for a monster class as another monster?

BillyBobJoe
2011-07-11, 12:18 AM
How the flaming flick knife did you qualify for a monster class as another monster?

Wight in this case is a Template.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-07-11, 12:26 AM
Uh...Warblade isn't a prestige class. Kensei is, I guess, by some definitions, though see my previous post for commentary on that.

EDIT
But wait, you know this.

Jeeze, the snark on this place is amazing even to me, and I'm incredibly snarky.

No, Warblade is a legitimate answer. While not a prestige class, it is easily a class that can focus on any one weapon it pleases without fear of said type of weapon going "POOF!" resulting in wasted feats like "Weapon Focus (banana)."

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-11, 12:26 AM

Although simply mashing the stats of two monsters together sounds like a fun way to create a new monster...

Gestalt MM! Gestalt MM!

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-11, 12:28 AM
The Talenta Sharrash (ECS) is though.

Stupid errata nerfing it's crit range…

If nobody in your group knows about errata, it doesn't exist. :smallwink:

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-11, 12:30 AM
If nobody in your group knows about errata, it doesn't exist. :smallwink:

That seems dishonest.

My name is Rogue Shadows.

Take from that what you will...

Thurbane
2011-07-11, 12:34 AM
I believe a Scythe with a blade of Kaorti Resin (FF web enhancement) or heavy materials (gold etc.) (MoF) would count as exotic, and make it legit for EWM...

PollyOliver
2011-07-11, 12:44 AM

I've actually just put the finishing touches on level 20 warblade/eternal blade for an epic campaign. Due to house rules involving free LA and a kind exemption from the "elf" bit, he's a large sized, horned draconic-like creature with black feathered wings and a cowl at all times, wielding a similarly large-sized scythe. Though he mostly specializes in charging and fly-bying maneuvers, my favorite bit is actually lightning throw. In my head it looks extremely entertaining. And he can lift a smallish to average blue whale off the ground, but that's beside the point.

Rogue Shadows--check out the tauric template, if you'd like to smash two monsters together.

And kaorti resin is a good idea, whoever suggested it. Doesn't add anything, but works.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-11, 01:02 AM
Sorry, PC using templates unless everyone is using them (like Amphibious in a purely underwater campaign) is strictly Lollipop Guild material to me.:smallsigh:
As for Scythe using, if your DM allows 3.0 material, that PrC that expands critical chances would be good for a Scythe User. Personally, my beef is you cannot put the Disruption enchantment on a Scythe. I mean, come on.
Though less good then a lance, a mounted scythe user would be cool.
I CALL HIM BINKY.

PollyOliver
2011-07-11, 01:09 AM
Sorry, PC using templates unless everyone is using them (like Amphibious in a purely underwater campaign) is strictly Lollipop Guild material to me.:smallsigh:
As for Scythe using, if your DM allows 3.0 material, that PrC that expands critical chances would be good for a Scythe User. Personally, my beef is you cannot put the Disrupting enchantment on a Scythe. I mean, come on.
Though less good then a lance, a mounted scythe user would be cool.
I CALL HIM BINKY.

I totally disagree on the templates--I mean, if you have a house rule against them, or your group doesn't allow level adjustment, obviously don't use them. Or if specific ones are unsuited to the power level of your game (say, mineral warrior). But there are plenty of templates that are not in any way broken (say, dragonborn) and some that are not even remotely good enough to justify their level adjustment. It's a group thing, I guess, but templates are no more munchkin to me than wanting to play a drow or an aasimar.

WRT Binky--Teehee. Actually--a musteval warblade with a scythe would make an entertaining Death of Rats.

And the class is disciple of dispater, I believe.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-11, 01:27 AM
I totally disagree on the templates--I mean, if you have a house rule against them, or your group doesn't allow level adjustment, obviously don't use them. Or if specific ones are unsuited to the power level of your game (say, mineral warrior). But there are plenty of templates that are not in any way broken (say, dragonborn) and some that are not even remotely good enough to justify their level adjustment. It's a group thing, I guess, but templates are no more munchkin to me than wanting to play a drow or an aasimar.

WRT Binky--Teehee SNH SNH SNH. Actually--a musteval warblade with a scythe would make an entertaining Death of Rats.

And the class is disciple of dispater, I believe.
I might make an exception for Dragon Born because in D&D 3.5 its the only to play a Dragonborn and I can respect the need to play a draconic being that doesn't suck like a pressure differential.
But mostly they are a means of adding power. Also, it feels a little Mary Sue-ish. It is one thing to advance in a career, but with many templates, its something you are born with. Why in world would such a weird creature exist? "Ooh I am super special awesome one of kind/last of my kind half centaur starfish mongrelfolk warforged! With Sparkles!"
Like the Half Drow, Half Troll Half Human from the, sadly defunct webcomic Chainmail Bikini (http://shawntionary.com/chainmailbikini/?p=39), my gut reaction is "Munchkin".
Prove me wrong with a good backstory that, among other things, explains your ancestry and a history of excellent role play, I'll consider it, but I am leery of it nonetheless.

Eloel
2011-07-11, 01:34 AM
Also, it feels a little Mary Sue-ish. It is one thing to advance in a career, but with many templates, its something you are born with. Why in world would such a weird creature exist?

You're talking about Inherited templates. There are also Acquired templates, like Evolved Undead, that are actually advancing at whatever you are.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-11, 01:39 AM
You're talking about Inherited templates. There are also Acquired templates, like Evolved Undead, that are actually advancing at whatever you are.

I knew the concept, not the words, but thank you.
In some ways, those are worse, though no worse then classes in general I suppose for this. "Yes, I suddenly changed on a fundamental biological level, why do you ask?"
Now, in general, I am fond of Player/DM ability transparency with a few exceptions, but my most basic "concern" is that templates generally feel like the DM's Toolbox. If they are granted to you, fine, but simply picking and choosing like you're playing Genetic Lego? And then having the audacity to complain when townspeople treat you like a freak? Eh . . .

PollyOliver
2011-07-11, 01:47 AM
Well, yeah, I'd agree repeated template stacking is often absurd. If you're more than two halves of anything, I'd require some serious explaining in your back story. But sometimes you really do want to play a half-drow, or a giant, hulking half-? brute who was kicked out of x for his ancestry, or one of those half-fey swapped babies you read about in old fairy tales. And I guess you could just hand wave it and say that's what you are (crunch/fluff separation and all), but I generally do like to have my fluff represented by some sort of crunch, and I like the idea of my half-fey actually being a half-fey, even if it's not really necessary. And like I said, there are a whole heck of a lot of templates that aren't even close to worth it. I can totally see how they can be exploited to ridiculous levels, but they're just as easily not.

But in a good game by the time the PCs have leveled a few times, a good fraction of them are mary sues (barring TPKs). The ranger has a dark and tormented past relating to his hatred of goblins, the bard is so hot that everyone wants to sleep with her, they're good at everything, they're rich, they can do no wrong (or when they do, they get out of it, and when they don't, they usually get raised) and their one weakness is either that they're shy or clumsy. :smalltongue:

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-07-11, 01:51 AM
In some ways, those are worse, though no worse then classes in general I suppose for this. "Yes, I suddenly changed on a fundamental biological level, why do you ask?"

"Well, honestly, it kind of sucked! I mean, have you ever had to deal with having to chain yourself up each and every full moon cuz you turn into this disgusting half-rat thing?!"

Shadowknight12
2011-07-11, 01:57 AM

I disagree with you on the Mary Suish-ness of inherited templates (I like to encourage my players to play monsters and weird combinations of races and templates, rather than the terminally boring PHB races), but that's a matter of personal taste, I think.

That comment, on the other hand, it's rather unimaginative. How many times have we seen characters who are fundamentally altered by some major event, whether by accident, their own doing, or someone else's? What about the lich, the vampire, the ghost, the lycanthrope? All of those are acquired templates. What about magical mishaps? Aren't those strong enough to fundamentally alter something? Powerful curses? A divine punishment/reward? An area tainted with remnants of epic magic? Specific rituals of permanent transformation (like the Lich's, actually)? The list goes on, really.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-11, 02:05 AM
I disagree with you on the Mary Suish-ness of inherited templates (I like to encourage my players to play monsters and weird combinations of races and templates, rather than the terminally boring PHB races), but that's a matter of personal taste, I think.

That comment, on the other hand, it's rather unimaginative. How many times have we seen characters who are fundamentally altered by some major event, whether by accident, their own doing, or someone else's? What about the lich, the vampire, the ghost, the lycanthrope? All of those are acquired templates. What about magical mishaps? Aren't those strong enough to fundamentally alter something? Powerful curses? A divine punishment/reward? An area tainted with remnants of epic magic? Specific rituals of permanent transformation (like the Lich's, actually)? The list goes on, really.
Yes, and those things happen to you in-game, if they happen to aplayer character at all, as either goals, "My Wizard wants to become a Lich!" or DM intervention, "The bite from the rat looks inflamed and red." They are not generally things you pick and choose like nickel candies at a convenience store. You say it's unimaginative, I say it's messing with the DM's toolbox. We each have our opinions and, sadly, nothing you have said has swayed them significantly. Like I said, I may allow them, but it's subject to DM approval.

Shadowknight12
2011-07-11, 02:09 AM
Yes, and those things happen to you in-game, if they happen to aplayer character at all, as either goals, "My Wizard wants to become a Lich!" or DM intervention, "The bite from the rat looks inflamed and red." They are not generally things you pick and choose like nickel candies at a convenience store. You say it's unimaginative, I say it's messing with the DM's toolbox. We each have our opinions and, sadly, nothing you have said has swayed them significantly. Like I said, I may allow them, but it's subject to DM approval.

And just like I disagree with you on the Mary Suishness of Inherited templates, I disagree with you here as well. In my experience, there's no need to "approve" or "disallow" anything in a game. You just have to pick your players wisely. If I actually agree to run a game for someone, I'm already trusting that they can use anything at their disposal to create a better story and a better game for all involved, without me having to approve anything.

Amnestic
2011-07-11, 02:15 AM
"Weapon Focus (banana)."

http://home.comcast.net/~massbackwards/cleese.jpg

You may jest, good sir, but I have to tell you that battling against those who wield fruit is very serious business! With an attitude like that, you'd better hope you never get caught down a dark alley by some madman with a bushel loganberries and a mango!

Ravens_cry
2011-07-11, 02:36 AM
And just like I disagree with you on the Mary Suishness of Inherited templates, I disagree with you here as well. In my experience, there's no need to "approve" or "disallow" anything in a game. You just have to pick your players wisely. If I actually agree to run a game for someone, I'm already trusting that they can use anything at their disposal to create a better story and a better game for all involved, without me having to approve anything.
I think we have covered the fact we disagree and that we are massively off topic. Thank you, I enjoy this discussion, but if you have such a group, you basically don't have to worry about a dozen and one other things that apparently plague DM's. I am happy you have such a group.
Edit: I guess that is passive aggressive way of saying "Well, you must be the exception."

Username_too_lo
2011-07-11, 04:31 AM

Please say you mean a sickle. The idea of a Succubus with a freaking scythe welded to both of his/her arms would be as horrific as it would be impractical.

And I don't even want to think about potty time.

Rei_Jin
2011-07-11, 04:34 AM
The 3.0 Prestige Class in Sword and Fist called "Weaponmaster" could be right up your alley. It increases your critical threat range as well as increasing your critical multiplier, and gives you the ability to whirlwind as a standard action instead of a full round action.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-11, 04:47 AM
Please say you mean a sickle. The idea of a Succubus with a freaking scythe welded to both of his/her arms would be as horrific as it would be impractical.

Like the doctor says, "Don't Scratch It." Lets hope either the template or the class grants Immunity to the Itch condition.

maximus25
2011-07-11, 06:03 AM

I say the scythe is grafted to one hand, and she just puts the other one on it when she attacks. The other hand is for "Special actions" and alone time.

erikun
2011-07-11, 08:19 AM
Winterhaunt of Iborighu (Frostburn) is a clerical prestige class based off a deity with preferred weapon: scythe. Nothing about the class focuses on or is dependant on the scythe specifically, though.

Other than that, wouldn't any prestige class that focuses on increased critical range/multiplier be a good choice for a scythe wielder?

Thurbane
2011-07-11, 05:07 PM

http://i51.tinypic.com/259ljfc.jpg
Although I believe he can clip it on and off.

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-11, 05:09 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/259ljfc.jpg
Although I believe he can clip it on and off.

Who is that guy, and why hasn't Galactus killed him for stealing his hat and painting it blue?

Keld Denar
2011-07-11, 05:18 PM
"Weapon Focus (banana)."

WE DO NOT DISCUSS BANANAS HERE!

That said, Pious Templar does have kinda a special weapon feel. You need Weapon Focus: Diety's favored weapon to get in, and it gives you Weapon Spec with that weapon (assuming that weapon is a Scythe)...thats about as close as I think you'll get.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-11, 05:23 PM
You may jest, good sir, but I have to tell you that battling against those who wield fruit is very serious business! With an attitude like that, you'd better hope you never get caught down a dark alley by some madman with a bushel loganberries and a mango!

Would fruits be suitably improvised enough to be used with the drunken master prestige class?

Acanous
2011-07-11, 05:23 PM
Dervish is a PrC that gains benefits when weilding a Scythe. In fact, they treat it as a light weapon and can dual wield scythes with no penalty.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-11, 05:25 PM
Dervish is a PrC that gains benefits when weilding a Scythe. In fact, they treat it as a light weapon and can dual wield scythes with no penalty.

That's scimitars.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-11, 05:25 PM
Most prestige classes aren't focused on a single weapon because they tend to be kind of niche. It's better to make a prestige class that can be used by numerous types of characters.

Pretty much. Just go kensai. I think there's also something in Complete Divine. It's for a sword and you have to worship a specific god, but there is a blurb about how it can be edited for another god.

Dragonsoul
2011-07-11, 06:03 PM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19527098/The_Dungeonomicon?pg=1

There is one here, if you don't mind fan content, I usually don't myself..but this is really well made fan content

Ravens_cry
2011-07-11, 06:11 PM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19527098/The_Dungeonomicon?pg=1

There is one here, if you don't mind fan content, I usually don't myself..but this is really well made fan content
I used the Find command for that page, I found no mention of Scythes. Maybe it is on another page, but it would have been courteous to link to that page specifically as there is 28 very long pages in that thread.

Morph Bark
2011-07-11, 06:29 PM
That seems dishonest.

My name is Rogue Shadows.

Take from that what you will...

That's why you can trust it, because you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.

Dragonsoul
2011-07-11, 06:45 PM
:smallfrown: BTH I was linking it off my Bookmarked tabs, my internet is so pathetic that it can't load the page (For the record it was a kind of Necro-ish class with the ability to raise himself from the dead if he defeated the Grim Reaper one on one,it was the most metal class in existance, the article is really worth reading anyway)

Hey I found it!Here (http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=34248)
Boneblade Reaper

Thurbane
2011-07-11, 07:07 PM
Who is that guy, and why hasn't Galactus killed him for stealing his hat and painting it blue?
That's the Grim Reaper, an old Avenger's villain. There's a good chance Galactus and the Grim Reaper were both deisgned by Jack Kirby, so that might explain the similar headgear. :smallsmile:

Das Platyvark
2011-07-11, 07:46 PM
The Winterhaunt of Iborhigu, from Frostburn, isn't really what you're looking for at all. But they have scythes!

maximus25
2011-07-11, 08:33 PM
The problem with Kensai is you have to be L something, and I'm chaotic evil.

dspeyer
2011-07-11, 10:19 PM
Let's see what I can brew on the spot...

Timor Mortis Exultat

Prerequisites: Weapon Focus(Scythe), BAB +5, Intimidate 4 ranks, Obsession with death

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Least Terror, Improved Trip
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Resist Terror, Improved Critical
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Lesser Terror, Greater Trip
4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Shift Magic, Greater Critical
5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Greater Terror, Life Drain[/table]

Class Skills: Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge(religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes), Ride (Dex)
Skills: 2+int
Hit Die: d10

Least Terror (ex) Gain a +4 circumstance bonus to intimidate checks when visibly brandishing a scythe

Improved Trip (ex) Gain the Improved Trip feat. You need not qualify. If you already have it, gain any feat for which you do qualify.

Resist Terror (ex) You've lived with fear so long it effects you less. Gain a +4 familiarity bonus to all checks against intimidation of fear.

Improved Critical (ex) Gain the Improved Critical (scythe) feat. You need not qualify. If you already have it, gain any feat for which you do qualify.

Lesser Terror (ex) When you demoralize an enemy while wielding a scythe, and win the check by 5 or more, the enemy becomes frightened instead of shaken.

Greater Trip (ex) If your trip attempt fails, your enemy does not get to make a trip attempt in response.

Shift Magic (su) When carrying a scythe with at least a +2 enhancement bonus, you may temporarily shift the bonus to a special ability (e.g. +2 becomes +1 flaming). Doing so requires five minutes of sitting quietly, caressing the scythe and meditating on the inevitability of death. The effect lasts 1 hour.

Greater Critical (ex) For you, scythes have a crit-threat range of 17-20

Greater Terror (ex) When you demoralize an enemy while wielding a scythe, and win the check by 10 or more, the enemy becomes panicked instead of frightened or shaken.

Life Drain (su) When you make a successful critical hit with a scythe against a living target, your target must make a fort save (dc 10 + half your character level + your wis modifier) or suffer 2 points of ability damage to your choice of physical attribute.

kharmakazy
2011-07-11, 10:38 PM
Let's see what I can brew on the spot...

Timor Mortis Exultat

Prerequisites: Weapon Focus(Scythe), BAB +5, Intimidate 4 ranks, Obsession with death

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Least Terror, Improved Trip
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Resist Terror, Improved Critical
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Lesser Terror, Greater Trip
4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Shift Magic, Greater Critical
5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Greater Terror, Life Drain[/table]

Class Skills: Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge(religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes), Ride (Dex)
Skills: 2+int
Hit Die: d10

Least Terror (ex) Gain a +4 circumstance bonus to intimidate checks when visibly brandishing a scythe

Improved Trip (ex) Gain the Improved Trip feat. You need not qualify. If you already have it, gain any feat for which you do qualify.

Resist Terror (ex) You've lived with fear so long it effects you less. Gain a +4 familiarity bonus to all checks against intimidation of fear.

Improved Critical (ex) Gain the Improved Critical (scythe) feat. You need not qualify. If you already have it, gain any feat for which you do qualify.

Lesser Terror (ex) When you demoralize an enemy while wielding a scythe, and win the check by 5 or more, the enemy becomes frightened instead of shaken.

Greater Trip (ex) If your trip attempt fails, your enemy does not get to make a trip attempt in response.

Shift Magic (su) When carrying a scythe with at least a +2 enhancement bonus, you may temporarily shift the bonus to a special ability (e.g. +2 becomes +1 flaming). Doing so requires five minutes of sitting quietly, caressing the scythe and meditating on the inevitability of death. The effect lasts 1 hour.

Greater Critical (ex) For you, scythes have a crit-threat range of 17-20

Greater Terror (ex) When you demoralize an enemy while wielding a scythe, and win the check by 10 or more, the enemy becomes panicked instead of frightened or shaken.

Life Drain (su) When you make a successful critical hit with a scythe against a living target, your target must make a fort save (dc 10 + half your character level + your wis modifier) or suffer 2 points of ability damage to your choice of physical attribute.

/thread - This is the reason we all came here.

maximus25
2011-07-12, 02:44 AM
That's an awesome prestige class, hopefully I can convince my DM to allow it.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-12, 03:43 AM
I think there should be some undead smacking abilities in that class. I don't see the Grim Reaper taking kindly to those who try and resist him through loophole abuse, i.e. not being alive.