PDA

View Full Version : Moving Threads

Grif
2011-07-11, 09:25 AM
Hi, in regards to this specific thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196312).

It is a currently running Dwarf Fortress succession game, where the players take turns managing a fort. The problem is, the threadstarter seems to have gone AWOL and has not updated the OP since April.

Is it possible to move to a new thread so that we can keep the OP updated and easy for player participating in the campaign to find information/keep track/whatnot? (I'll be starting and responsible for the new thread, should it be allowed.)

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-11, 10:13 AM
Hi, in regards to this specific thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196312).

It is a currently running Dwarf Fortress succession game, where the players take turns managing a fort. The problem is, the threadstarter seems to have gone AWOL and has not updated the OP since April.

Is it possible to move to a new thread so that we can keep the OP updated and easy for player participating in the campaign to find information/keep track/whatnot? (I'll be starting and responsible for the new thread, should it be allowed.)

The OP's profile says they were last on the site today. Maybe send them a PM and ask if they're willing to continue with their responsibilities in the thread.

If they're not or they don't reply in a reasonable time I'd reckon it's ok to make a new thread and move over there if you're willing to take up the responsibilities & others want to keep going.

In general this forum doesn't recognise thread ownership (except where sensible such as ongoing games or homebrew threads), if the OP can't/won't/doesn't want to carry on anymore then there's no rule being broken by making a replacement thread to facilitate it continuing.

Zherog
2011-07-11, 10:35 AM
In general this forum doesn't recognise thread ownership (except where sensible such as ongoing games or homebrew threads), if the OP can't/won't/doesn't want to carry on anymore then there's no rule being broken by making a replacement thread to facilitate it continuing.

Very true. However, there's also the "duplicate thread" issue to deal with.

The best bet is to PM the original starter, as K-B suggests. And then once it's determined that you'll be handling updates, send a PM to a mod who works that forum and explain the situation to him/her. Odds are, they'll agree to lock the original and allow you to start a new, better-maintained, version. But that's probably the easiest way to deal with the potential duplicate thread issues.

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-11, 10:39 AM
Very true. However, there's also the "duplicate thread" issue to deal with.

The best bet is to PM the original starter, as K-B suggests. And then once it's determined that you'll be handling updates, send a PM to a mod who works that forum and explain the situation to him/her. Odds are, they'll agree to lock the original and allow you to start a new, better-maintained, version. But that's probably the easiest way to deal with the potential duplicate thread issues.

I thought of that, but figured they'd stick a II in the title or something so show it's a continuation rather than a duplicate. Good point about PMing a mod though, I should have thought to mention that.

Grif
2011-07-11, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the replies. :smallsmile:

What would you think constitute a reasonable time for reply? A week? (I rather not wait that long to be honest.)

Zherog
2011-07-11, 03:53 PM
A week is certainly reasonable. I'd say as short as four days is reasonable, possibly.

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-11, 07:06 PM
You can also start with just reporting the OP of the thread in question and explain the situation there. Though the text box that's presented is kind of small, the response is certainly not limited to that size. You can say as much or as little as you need to convey your point.

This, of course, is still something to do after you've attempted to contact the OP.

In any case, please don't just restart the thread with a II in the title unless the reason for the new thread is because the previous thread has reached 50 pages. We wouldn't want anyone thinking this is an acceptable loophole to the "one topic one thread" rule.

Grif
2011-07-11, 07:48 PM
Thanks, the OP has happily stated that he has no problem with restarting the thread. I'll report it and get it locked then.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-12, 04:50 AM

In any case, please don't just restart the thread with a II in the title unless the reason for the new thread is because the previous thread has reached 50 pages. We wouldn't want anyone thinking this is an acceptable loophole to the "one topic one thread" rule.

Apologies for suggesting that then. I thought if a thread noted as II or something appeared the mods would just lock the old one as the new one's shown as a continuation/replacement rather than a duplicate thread or loophole.