PDA

View Full Version : Big teej's Build challenge

big teej
2011-07-11, 10:48 AM
greetings playgrounders,

I come to you on behalf of another playgrounder and one of my irl players.

he wishes to play something akin to the 4th edition warlord.

in 3.x

sources available are

DMG 3.0 and 3.5
DMG II
PHB I and II
Monster Manual I, II, III
BOVD
BOED
A&EG
Races of STone
Unearthed Arcana
Dieties and Demigods
Psionic handbook
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Oriental Adventures
CityScape
Magic of Incarnum
Song and Silence
Sword and Fist
Masters of the Wild
Tome and Blood
Enemies and Allies
Defenders of the Faith

here is the old thread.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11387482#post11387482

BIGMamaSloth
2011-07-11, 11:23 AM
see, I don't even know what that means. I've played some 4th edition, but I'm confused as to what being a 4th edition wizard in 3.5 would actually change about the wizard?

Edit: Oh, warlord. curse my failure to properly read the original post!:smalltongue:

Urpriest
2011-07-11, 11:23 AM
Ugh, this is unfortunate: Tome of Battle, were it on your list, is perfect for this. I know this gets said a lot, but in this case 4e's Warlord is based off of Tome of Battle, in particular the White Raven school (what, you thought all those maneuvers were named after the Raven Queen? Nope!). It really is the direct equivalent.

Without that...probably a Bard with a dip or so in Dragon Shaman. That's really the best you could do here.

Crow
2011-07-11, 11:29 AM
Highly recommend (for once) Tome of Battle, White Raven Tactics.

If you don't want to include the ToB classes, you could at least allow the feats like Martial Study, which would allow him to pick up some White Raven Maneuvers.

Flame of Anor
2011-07-11, 11:30 AM
The warlord first appeared in our second design draft of 4th Edition as the marshal. Those of you familiar with the 3rd Edition Miniatures Handbook might remember this class.

So, especially with your low-op party, I'm thinking Marshal 20.

EDIT: Wait, no Miniatures Handbook. Try Bard/Cleric.

big teej
2011-07-11, 11:37 AM
I encourage some of you to take another look at the available books.

anything I don't own in hardcopy is disallowed on principal. and even if it weren't, if I don't have it, nobody in my group does.

Urpriest
2011-07-11, 11:53 AM
I encourage some of you to take another look at the available books.

anything I don't own in hardcopy is disallowed on principal. and even if it weren't, if I don't have it, nobody in my group does.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing anything viable short of Dragon Shaman/Bard. 4e's Warlord was a concept created out of whole cloth by Tome of Battle, with only a few hints beforehand that for the most part you also don't have access to. Nobody else inspiringly hits people with a sword, it just isn't done.

Maybe one of the talky types from BoED would work...maybe.

As for hardcopies, a printer and some cardboard can fix that! :smallwink: (Not actual advice)

Crow
2011-07-11, 12:18 PM
There's always Home brew.

PollyOliver
2011-07-11, 12:30 PM
Marshal is free here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b) I'm not certain what the warlord does, but guessing from what people have posted in the thread, I would recommend a multiclass bard/marshal--unfortunately, of all the ways to boost a bard's inspire courage, you only have the sources for 1 (and the most personally costly of the one, words of creation). SpC, MIC, and ECS are kind of "standard" for an inspire courage build, and Dragon Magic is useful.

Ideally, I would say bard/crusader with song of the white raven, specializing in white-ravening his allies and locking down enemies, but you don't have ToB listed.