PDA

View Full Version : Candlejack and Kobolds

Lockjaw
2011-07-11, 11:41 AM
Okay, every so often someone mentions kobold shenanagins and it's often accompanied with candlejack. Could someone explain this to me (and if there's any source material that deals with this, please include this as well).

Keld Denar
2011-07-11, 11:45 AM
Candlejack? I think you mean Candle of Invocation.

You must mean this. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869366/The_most_powerful_character._EVER.)

afroakuma
2011-07-11, 11:54 AM
And yet this thread title has already given me some marvelous ideas. :smallamused:

Now where'd my supply of Tucker's get to...

Urpriest
2011-07-11, 11:55 AM
Actually, there is another possibility. PlzBreakMyCampAn is a poster famous for, well, read his name. No doubt some of his suggestions involve kobolds. PlzBreakMyCampAn always ends posts on this forum in the middle of a sentence. While some think this is related to Candlejack, it actually is closer to a form of protest against the draconian

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-11, 12:00 PM
Kobolds are a clever small humanoid race. When one adds Candlejack to the mix they ge

Big Fau
2011-07-11, 12:00 PM
And yet this thread title has already given me some marvelous ideas. :smallamused:

Now where'd my supply of Tucker's get to...

Candlejack? I think you mean Candle of Invocation.

You must mean this. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869366/The_most_powerful_character._EVER.)

You're doing it wr

The-Mage-King
2011-07-11, 12:07 PM
The kobolds don't have Candle Jack. What are

IthroZada
2011-07-11, 12:16 PM
Well, I did make a joke in another thread, with the stuff for Pun-pun written out, except I replaced Pazuzu with Candlejack. So that might lead to some confusi

Lockjaw
2011-07-11, 12:34 PM
All right, after absolutely no help from you guys, I googled it and found out what candlejack was. You all really need to grow u

Coidzor
2011-07-11, 12:40 PM
Newest addition to the Kobold Pantheon?

GoatBoy
2011-07-11, 12:47 PM
I think it's related to the kobolds in World of Warcraft, how they have candles on their heads and yell "you no take candle!" when you attack them.

Perhaps too many of them have had candles stolen, or been "candle-jacked," which would explain their behav

afroakuma
2011-07-11, 12:49 PM
You're doing it wr

Ah, but you see I never actually said it. I'm far too clever to be caught by C- him.

*looks around nervously*

Big Fau
2011-07-11, 01:54 PM
Ah, but you see I never actually said it. I'm far too clever to be caught by C- him.

*looks around nervously*

Don't you know? Just quoting his name is enough.

Technically, we always post his name in this thread because its in the thread t

Codenpeg
2011-07-11, 02:20 PM
Don't you know? Just quoting his name is enough.

Technically, we always post his name in this thread because its in the thread t

You're right about one thing and wrong about another. Quoting is enough, but we can change the title of our post. I have to say that he who must not be named would make an interesting fit into the Kobold pantheon.

Flame of Anor
2011-07-11, 08:39 PM
I have to say that he who must not be named would make an interesting fit into the Kobold pantheon.

Wait, since when are we talking about Voldemort? Or rather, Koboldemort?

Coidzor
2011-07-11, 08:42 PM

Ahh, Koboldemort. The Kobold Supremacist who was obsessed with breeding a master race of dragonwrought kobold sorcerers and taking over the world while doing away with filthy non-dragonwrought sorcerers.

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-11, 08:43 PM
Yay! Candlejack is my favorite old me
Always nice to be appreciated.

Zaq
2011-07-11, 08:46 PM

This is going to find its way into one of my Kobolds Ate My Baby games sooner or later. Awesome.

Coidzor
2011-07-11, 08:48 PM
This is going to find its way into one of my Kobolds Ate My Baby games sooner or later. Awesome.

Ooo... :smallbiggrin:

...Come to think of it, where is Candlejack anyway? You'd think he'd eat thi

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-11, 08:52 PM
Ooo... :smallbiggrin:

...Come to think of it, where is [] anyway? You'd think he'd eat thi

*scuffling* Get off of me!

You might want to re-examine my post! Candlejack has definitely come b
Oh no, you can't escape that easily. Not very smart, are you?

ericgrau
2011-07-11, 09:47 PM
http://cdn3.knowyourmeme.com/i/4433/original/More_rope.jpg?1246329995

HunterOfJello
2011-07-11, 10:04 PM
You're sitting within the crossfire of several memes and inside jokes so it's understandable that you are confused.

There are two popular kobold memes. Tucker's Kobolds (http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/) and Pun-Pun (who is linked to above).

In a nutshell, Tucker's Kobolds are a group of kobolds that are roleplayed by a DM to the full extent that kobolds actually should be. A set of caves that contain goblins in them is conquerable by a party of appropriate level. A set of caves that contains Tucker's Kobolds in them is a horrific deathtrap that sends parties of that same level quickly to their graves.

Pun-Pun is the preeminent build for theoretical optimization in D&D 3.5e . He is the most powerful character that it is possible to create in the game. The primary reason for this is the fact that even if there were a character or creature more powerful than Pun-Pun, once Pun-Pun came in contact with it, he would quickly transform into the form of the new enemy and gain all of its powers in addition to his own. (Note that the character was built for theoretical purposes and not to be used in a game. However, it can be fun for the DM to include Pun-Pun as an overdeity in a campaign setting.)

If you take the time to read how Pun-Pun's ascension works, you can learn a lot about the game. It makes for a very good read.

~

The final meme and joke is an old villain from the cartoon Freakazoid. The villain is a ghost-like being named Candlejack (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CandleJack) who suddenly kidnaps anyone right after they say his

Flame of Anor
2011-07-11, 10:47 PM
The final meme and joke is an old villain from the cartoon Freakazoid. The villain is a ghost-like being named Candlejack (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CandleJack) who suddenly kidnaps anyone right after they say his

...name. :smallwink:

Larpus
2011-07-11, 11:00 PM
Godammit guys, you're not supposed to talk about him.

Kobolds? Sure, fun times, but you can't even mention the object that happens to have the same name than you know who, otherwise you end up Candlejacked and he ap

supermonkeyjoe
2011-07-12, 04:03 AM
No-one knows what's under Candlejack's hood right? My god! It's so obvious! He's obviou

Popertop
2011-07-12, 05:30 AM
This thread is so much wi

Dragonsoul
2011-07-12, 05:38 AM
Ha you can delete Candlejack from the Title!Waait da

Shadowknight12
2011-07-12, 05:56 AM
Candle what?

Sir Homeslice
2011-07-12, 06:05 AM
In a nutshell, Tucker's Kobolds are a group of kobolds that are roleplayed by a DM to the full extent that kobolds actually should be. A set of caves that contain goblins in them is conquerable by a party of appropriate level. A set of caves that contains Tucker's Kobolds in them is a horrific deathtrap that sends parties of that same level quickly to their graves.

No, Tucker's Kobolds are a group of Kobolds played by a semi-intelligent DM who wanted to freak out his party of incompetent moron players, and succeeded. You wouldn't declare a DM to be the second coming of Jesus if he danced around his players singing "oh look at me I can arbitrarily set up situations where you utterly fail HAW HAW HAW.," which is essentially what Tucker's Kobolds amounted to, with again, a dash of incompetent moron players on top.

As a final note, Tucker's Kobolds are also incredibly, massively overhyped and should never be regarded seriously.

T.G. Oskar
2011-07-12, 07:47 AM
No, Tucker's Kobolds are a group of Kobolds played by a semi-intelligent DM who wanted to freak out his party of incompetent moron players, and succeeded. You wouldn't declare a DM to be the second coming of Jesus if he danced around his players singing "oh look at me I can arbitrarily set up situations where you utterly fail HAW HAW HAW.," which is essentially what Tucker's Kobolds amounted to, with again, a dash of incompetent moron players on top.

As a final note, Tucker's Kobolds are also incredibly, massively overhyped and should never be regarded seriously.

Actually, both Tucker's Kobolds and Pun-Pun are symbols.

"Tucker's Kobolds" are a representation of three things: the DM playing monsters much more intelligent than they're meant to be, how to use traps and the environment to your knowledge, and how to set the environment and the necessary traps to essentially trap the enemies.

Notice, if you read the page, that the kobolds were basically played deliberately more devious than they are. The DM used kobolds instead of orcs or goblins because of the environment and what he needed; kobolds are known for making and abusing traps, so they essentially made the entire first level of the dungeon a deathtrap. This would be fitting with the kobold lore, as why not make the entire area a deliberate deathtrap with which to prevent any action of the enemy?

A similar situation would be setting several small enemies to play the weaknesses of certain groups. By level 6, a wizard will certainly have Blur and Mirror Image and Wind Wall set for a group of archers...why, then, not set up the crossbowmen to aim right for the wizard before he casts those spells? Ideally, the wizard WILL have cast those spells beforehand, but as a DM, you can set up situations where the wizard will essentially be buff-less, OR you can set up a situation where the wizard will be left buff-less and unable to buff. With at least 6 crossbowmen aiming at the wizard, there's a big chance you even kill it in one round, even if it has Mage Armor and Shield equipped; later on, you can set up crossbowmen with special crossbows and feats meant to bypass wizard defenses, then essentially ready actions before initiative even happens. Given that ready actions usually happen before the wizard gets a chance to attack, and if prepared carefully you can overload the Concentration check to essentially nullify the wizard's spellcasting ability (perhaps even setting a ready routine that nulls both the first spell and the quickened/Celerity-enabled spell) to a grind. This becomes more and more harder as time passes, but it suggests a few things, namely that the BBEG knows the party's weaknesses and is willing to exploit them. So you can expect, as a DM, a wizard with contingencies against the other wizard's spells AND his contingencies.

Convoluted, of course, but it adds the element of surprise and tactical thinking. A fighter is easier to counter in that regard, and a cleric even more so. The trick is to make this careful, devious traps special challenges for when the group gets bored, instead of treating the PCs as enemies; it requires a very special kind of DM to pull off.

Pun-Pun, on the other hand, is the symbol of Theoretical Optimization. It's the cream of the crop, because it's essentially all optimization tricks in a single package. It's NOT Practical Optimization because it relies on far too many things to work, which a DM can simply take down. It is more of a mental challenge on how to pull off anything within D&D and how you need to be careful when designing something so that a contrived series of steps doesn't make you more powerful than an overdeity; basically, everything is the Sarrukh's fault for having such a brutal ability. In fact, if you consider it, Pun-Pun shouldn't even exist; a Sarrukh spellcaster could use a few Polymorph Any Other scrolls on its familiar and do basically the same thing, so he'd be the alpha Pun-Pun because otherwise you wouldn't have a Pun-Pun (it depends on the familiar, Share Spells and the Sarrukh's special ability, after all). Since it's not meant to be used or played in an actual D&D game and since it essentially can pull off all the other PO tricks, he's the symbol of PO. I mean, CharOp could have a kobold mage with a Sarrukh familiar as its mascot any more than...well, I could mention it, but the first and second rules of the Internet forbid me from doing that. Oh well, with what I'm gonna pull; like how 4chan has Yotsuba as their mascot.

On the other hand, I can't but imagine what represents Candlejack in this th

Ravens_cry
2011-07-12, 08:03 AM
Wait, if saying Candlejack's name makes you disappear, who is hitting 'Submit Repl

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-12, 10:47 AM
Candle what?

I got this one too, just so you all know. Just because you finish your sentance doesn't mean you're safe.

Wait, if saying Candlejack's name makes you disappear, who is hitting 'Submit Repl

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljtyxaTggV1qfjsg1o1_250.jpg

It just seems like a polite thing to do.

enderlord99
2011-07-12, 02:26 PM
I wonder if CandleJack is using mind contro-THERE IS NO MIND CONTROL, CITI

2-in-1? and one's a moderator? I'll need more rope, soon.

EDIT: Thanks, Batman! How is it that you're the only one that can beat him anyway? Wait... You're not Batman... *screa

EDIT2: not [I]agai

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-12, 05:20 PM
The C-man is nice enough to hit submit for you.

A common misconception is if you post in a thread about him, you'll get kidnapped even if you don't say his name, so you're only in danger if you say "Candle Jack".

... Damn i

AppleChips
2011-07-12, 05:27 PM
Remember though, even putting Candlejack's name in the title lets him g

Pokonic
2011-07-12, 05:30 PM
Oh come on guys! Its not like anything happens when you say

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-12, 05:36 PM
Remember though, even putting Candlejack's name in the title lets him g

Not if you don't personally type it.

AppleChips
2011-07-12, 06:15 PM
But even if you don't type it, the fact that it is somewhere in your post means that it was created by you. If you're going to argue that quoting him doesn't matter, then you could also say that typing "Candlejack" wouldn't matter anyway because you're not sayi

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-12, 06:19 PM
But even if you don't type it, the fact that it is somewhere in your post means that it was created by you. If you're going to argue that quoting him doesn't matter, then you could also say that typing "Candlejack" wouldn't matter anyway because you're not sayi

He's right you know.

If you could all please hold off for a minute now. I need to charter a bus.

Believe it...or not!

OracleofWuffing
2011-07-12, 06:19 PM
Hey guys, I heard you were talking about-

:smallfrown: Where'd everybody go?

Zaq
2011-07-12, 07:52 PM
Hey guys, I heard you were talking about-

:smallfrown: Where'd everybody go?

Candle Jack got th

Timeless Error
2011-07-12, 07:58 PM
What's all this about Candlejack? I'm not scared of him, he can't be everywhere at onc

OracleofWuffing
2011-07-12, 08:05 PM
...What? What is it? Why do they keep disappearing?

*Sniffs armpits*

... Oh. :smallfrown:

enderlord99
2011-07-12, 08:10 PM
Well, "sir" you won't catch me THIS time. I've learned my lesson and will not say "Candle Jack" ever again. Wait...

Wow. This guy actually managed to finish his post.

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-12, 10:16 PM
...What? What is it? Why do they keep disappearing?

*Sniffs armpits*

... Oh.

No, it's because Candlejack keep ta

Indeed.

Scent? Across the Internet? That's just unbelievable.

enderlord99
2011-07-13, 08:58 AM
Why is it that "sir" keeps posting in white text?

Escheton
2011-07-13, 09:16 AM
No, it's because Freakazoid keep ta

Indeed.

Scent? Across the Internet? That's just unbelievable.

"The odor passes through this coffee stain here, around the olive pit, and into this cigar burn"

Feytalist
2011-07-13, 09:21 AM
This is all I have to say.

http://500motivators.com/plog-content/thumbs/motivate/me/large/490-stop-that-this-thread-is-getting-very-silly.jpg

Yuki Akuma
2011-07-13, 10:42 AM
Tucker's Kobolds aren't really played smarter than Kobolds are meant to be. Kobolds are meant to be canny masters of traps.

Edit: Oh crap I left his name in the ti

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-13, 10:48 AM
Tucker's Kobolds aren't really played smarter than Kobolds are meant to be. Kobolds are meant to be canny masters of traps.

And they have an average INT of 10, meaning they're as smart as your typical human...

Worira
2011-07-13, 10:54 AM
Candlejack is an obnoxious, overused meme.

Tucker's Kobolds is also, conveniently enough, an obnoxious, overused meme.

Yuki Akuma
2011-07-13, 10:58 AM
And they have an average INT of 10, meaning they're as smart as your typical human...

You average humans have come up with remarkable defensive fortifications to ward off invaders, you know.

Plus Kobolds have a racial bonus to Craft (Trapmaking).

Coidzor
2011-07-13, 11:02 AM
You average humans have come up with remarkable defensive fortifications to ward off invaders, you know.

Plus Kobolds have a racial bonus to Craft (Trapmaking).

A bonus to the skill means that they can make better traps or make simpler traps better/more quickly, not that they're better at thinking up traps that are beyond their capability to think of based upon their intellects. :smallconfused:

Now what is beyond their capabilities based upon their intellect. *shrug*

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-13, 11:15 AM
Hmmm... What would happen if Tucker's Kobolds set a trap for Ca- him?

Also, wouldn't Candlejack need some acidpro

Nghh. *Heaves*

Stoppit. *Glomps*

*Finds some acidproof rope*

Dang, I nea

Gotcha.

Yuki Akuma
2011-07-13, 12:29 PM
A bonus to the skill means that they can make better traps or make simpler traps better/more quickly, not that they're better at thinking up traps that are beyond their capability to think of based upon their intellects. :smallconfused:

Now what is beyond their capabilities based upon their intellect. *shrug*

Well, let's see.

Kobolds are just as smart as humans.

Humans have thought up murderholes.

Therefore, Kobolds can think up murderholes.

So yes, I think Kobolds should in fact be able to do the sorts of things Tucker's Kobolds did.

I don't think it was at all fair, but really, most monsters are played below their intelligence anyway...

IthroZada
2011-07-13, 12:33 PM
1. Kobolds are as intelligent as humans.
2. I know, for a fact, that the traps in Tucker's Kobolds are well within the bounds of human intelligence.
3. Because the campaign was made, as far as I know, by a human.

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-13, 12:49 PM

Yes, I know - that's my point. They're as clever as humans, so a DM should play them to be as clever as humans.

[] is an obnoxious, overused meme.

It was, though it's been years since it was popular. I relish it whenever he comes up.

I'm coming for him, don't worry.

Tucker's Kobolds is also, conveniently enough, an obnoxious, overused meme.

Never even heard of them until I came to this thread, unlike Candlejack, so I'm not ann

Ohh...you nearly made it.

Bus is on its way now.

AppleChips
2011-07-13, 01:15 PM
Considering that I never knew about it before I saw this thread, I hardly think that Candle.. guy is is an overused meme. It's amusing, and if it pops up that often, I would have probably seen it before. And if Kobolds have an average intelligence of that of a human, they would probably have just as many Einstein anomalies like 22 int wizards as humans. In fact, I haven't even heard about Tucker's Kobolds for quite a while now. Makes me wonder if Candlejack got to th

Big Fau
2011-07-13, 01:24 PM

And yet we cannot avoid Candle Jack. I wond

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-13, 01:33 PM
Alright, the bus is here. Everyone get in.

No arguing about seating! Whoever is sitting next to Kanye West will just have to deal with it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1yk5vt_2vfc/TNYps1I6cUI/AAAAAAAACd4/q__4cAXtM_A/s640/4chanpartybus.jpg

Yuki Akuma
2011-07-13, 01:43 PM
And if Kobolds have an average intelligence of that of a human, they would probably have just as many Einstein anomalies like 22 int wizards as humans.

Kobolds tend to disfavour Wizardry, although I'm sure they have Artificers and such.

Gnorman
2011-07-13, 05:37 PM
And if Kobolds have an average intelligence of that of a human, they would probably have just as many Einstein anomalies like 22 int wizards as humans.

Einsten only had an 18 in INT, if we're taking him as the golden archetype of "human genius." 18 is the theoretical maximum. Possibly 19 if one buys that dreck about him being a level 5 expert or whatever. After all, Candle Jack takes every human whose intelligence is above 18, and

Worira
2011-07-13, 05:42 PM
How is that dreck? Are you suggesting he was below 4th level?

Gnorman
2011-07-13, 05:48 PM
I am suggesting that levels are an abstract concept in a roleplaying game that had no bearing on the real-life Einstein's ability to think, experiment, or develop theories.

Of course, to be fair, his intelligence score wouldn't either, given that it's the exact same thing - a statistic in a game.

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-13, 06:56 PM
Level five expert?

Hmmm...

*Has completely awesome mental image where Albert Einstein is a bastion of defence against the vicious, murdering cats running rampant around the city, slaying everyone else*

*Them has not-so-awesome mental image of him kicking a kitty across a table*

Mrrrowl.

AppleChips
2011-07-13, 07:03 PM
What I meant by "Einstein anomalies" wasn't actual Einstein equivalents but people smart beyond the norm. The point is, with the same average intelligence, there are likely just as many abnormally smart kobolds as abnormally smart humans. Whoops I left the t

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-13, 07:03 PM
Level five expert?

Hmmm...

*Has completely awesome mental image where Albert Einstein is a bastion of defence against the vicious, murdering cats running rampant around the city, slaying everyone else*

*Them has not-so-awesome mental image of him kicking a kitty across a table*

Mrrrowl.

Actually, my former stepmother's father worked in Princeton and has firsthand evidence of the genius' hatred of cats. It's true!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/AdamantinePangolin/einstein_template.jpg

Bogardan_Mage
2011-07-13, 09:55 PM
Einsten only had an 18 in INT, if we're taking him as the golden archetype of "human genius." 18 is the theoretical maximum. Possibly 19 if one buys that dreck about him being a level 5 expert or whatever. After all, [NOPE] takes every human whose intelligence is above 18, and
Although Einstein never took an IQ test, the results of those who have show that 18 is most certainly not the theoretical maximum.

The average role of 3d6 is 10.5. The standard deviation is 3. By definition, the average IQ is 100 and the standard deviation is 15. So if INT is roughly equivalent to IQ, your "theoretical maximum" is only 138, which is demonstrably not the maximum IQ. Of course, it can be argued that INT is not IQ, but that leaves the question of what it is.

In my view, D&D is just a simplification, and Einstein's intelligence (as well as that of many other geniuses) is simply beyond the scope of a character creation system geared towards people who adventure into the wilderness to kill monsters.

Yuki Akuma
2011-07-14, 06:30 AM
He probably has one of those NPC templates in the DMGII that boosts Int.

Luckmann
2011-07-14, 06:34 AM
I haven't read through the entire thread, so please excuse my ignorance (if any). But this gives me some excellent ideas for a "Candlejack" Kobold situation. People just suddenly disappearing on account of kob

Greymane
2011-07-14, 06:45 AM
Huh. I'm fairly certain Candlejack is actually a 20th level Truenamer.

Gnorman
2011-07-14, 07:24 AM
Although Einstein never took an IQ test, the results of those who have show that 18 is most certainly not the theoretical maximum.

The average role of 3d6 is 10.5. The standard deviation is 3. By definition, the average IQ is 100 and the standard deviation is 15. So if INT is roughly equivalent to IQ, your "theoretical maximum" is only 138, which is demonstrably not the maximum IQ. Of course, it can be argued that INT is not IQ, but that leaves the question of what it is..

IQ is not a good measure of intelligence, or even really a measure of intelligence at all. The best definition of IQ is "the ability of a person to perform well on an IQ test." By the standard I was applying above, if 18 is the theoretical maximum one could achieve within D&D character creation (as a standard human), and if we take Einsten as the pinnacle of human genius (something I am not willing to commit to, due to the subjective nature of intelligence), then yes, Einstein had an 18 in the stat, from a purely gamist point of view. But this is admittedly, on the whole, completely irrelevant to the discussion of kobolds and Candlejack.

Huh. I'm fairly certain Candlejack is actually a 20th level Truenamer.

You know, that would explain a

panaikhan
2011-07-14, 07:40 AM
I wonder if you say C-man's name quickly three times, he disappears?

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-14, 07:51 AM
I wonder if you say C-man's name quickly three times, he disappears?

Let's try it.

Candlejack
Candlejack
Can

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-14, 08:17 AM
Let's try it.

Candlejack
Candlejack
Can

Evidently, all that happens when you say his name three times is that you disappear.

What about backwards?

Kcajeldnac.

*Fvlomp*

Eheheheh.

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-14, 10:59 AM
Let's just face it, if [C] wants you, he ge

I can't believe I used to think getting a camp full of children was a lot of people.

Not a very bright group, are you?

The Internet, that is.

enderlord99
2011-07-14, 11:07 AM
*lights self on fire*

Wait. He's a ninja, right?

No. I'm a ghost.

HOLD MONSTER!

I'm only going with if you answer these questions:

1. Do you know my friend Boo Qfghasfjsdflijkghbijkfbilhrskjnibhkjsdlfsdhlkf

Boo... Who?!

2. Stop crying and answer my next question! Are you a policeman?

NO! I said I was a ghost! And before you ask why I'm working under cover, you should know that imitating Annoying Orange will NOT save you.

3. Did you notice batman, or were you distracted by the previous questions?

4. Are you embarrassed you pooped in your diaper today?

You do realize I just killed batman, right?

...:smalleek:

Ravens_cry
2011-07-14, 11:14 AM
Einsten only had an 18 in INT, if we're taking him as the golden archetype of "human genius." 18 is the theoretical maximum. Possibly 19 if one buys that dreck about him being a level 5 expert or whatever. After all, Candle Jack takes every human whose intelligence is above 18, and
Don't forget age bonuses.
That will put him at least 20.:smallbiggrin:
The default statistic generation methods are for typical humans. Just like there are people who are taller than the height rolling charts, there is also probably people who are smarter then the 4d6 drop lowest, 3d6 in order, point buy, or what have y

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-14, 11:18 AM
Candlejack isn't a ghost, he's the boogey man. There's a dif

Not much of one.

[snip]

Ohh, but there's a difference between me and Batman.

Batman isn't real.

Also I've had him for years.

*rope*

enderlord99
2011-07-14, 11:23 AM
Candlejack isn't a ghost, he's the boogey man. There's a dif

Not much of one.

Ohh, but there's a difference between me and Batman.

Batman isn't real.

Also I've had him for years.

*rope*

Wow. I managed not only to escape, but also to edit-ninja hi

Coidzor
2011-07-14, 11:43 AM
Humans have thought up murderholes.

Therefore, Kobolds can think up murderholes.

So yes, I think Kobolds should in fact be able to do the sorts of things Tucker's Kobolds did.

I don't think it was at all fair, but really, most monsters are played below their intelligence anyway...

Can Int 10 humans think up murder holes though?

Because unless there's a kobold with an Int greater than 10 in the warren, this becomes rather more of a point.

Worira
2011-07-14, 11:44 AM
Speaking of humans outside the normal range of ability scores, Hossein Rezazadeh, the current world record holder in Olympic weightlifting, has (or had) a strength of 25, judging from the carrying capacity table.

EDIT:
Can Int 10 humans think up murder holes though?

Because unless there's a kobold with an Int greater than 10 in the warren, this becomes rather more of a point.

Seeing as it's literally just a hole you drop things on people from, it's not exactly the most complicated of devices ever devised. And seeing as there's about a 50% chance of an INT 18 kobold in a warren of 100, I'm honestly not sure why you would think there wouldn't be any over 10.

AppleChips
2011-07-14, 11:50 AM
I think there is a difference between being able to carry something around and temporarily lifting it though. Anyway, considering how many people Candlejack has caught, he sho

Ravens_cry
2011-07-14, 11:53 AM
Speaking of humans outside the normal range of ability scores, Hossein Rezazadeh, the current world record holder in Olympic weightlifting, has (or had) a strength of 25, judging from the carrying capacity table.
Not surprising, a human with an 18 in an ability score on 3d6 is only 1 in 216.

Worira
2011-07-14, 11:53 AM
I think there is a difference between being able to carry something around and temporarily lifting it though. Anyway, considering how many people Candlejack has caught, he sho

Yeah, that's why I'm going by the Lift Over Head figures.

Coidzor
2011-07-14, 12:05 PM
Seeing as it's literally just a hole you drop things on people from, it's not exactly the most complicated of devices ever devised. And seeing as there's about a 50% chance of an INT 18 kobold in a warren of 100, I'm honestly not sure why you would think there wouldn't be any over 10.

Because most DMs don't seem to actually stat out the warren of Kobolds individually, so the kobolds in the warren are not going to have int over 10 unless they have class levels in a class that rewards int or the DM custom built them to put a good stat in Int.

Further, murderholes are not the only thing Tuckers' Kobolds were doing, from what I recall, and DMs seeking to recapture the feel of Tucker's Kobolds seem to go for something more like a 30 Xanatos Pileup Kobolds.

AppleChips
2011-07-14, 12:59 PM
Just because you don't stat out each kobold individually doesn't mean they're all completely average. Even just one or two kobolds with 12 or 14 int could probably devise those kinds of death traps. How smart do you think Tucker himself was? Maybe he was smarter than average, but I doubt he had the equivalent of 18 intelligence, and he thought up all these traps.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-14, 01:05 PM
Tucker (http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/), I believe, was the name of the DM, not a specific Kobold, though of course that can be changed.

AppleChips
2011-07-14, 01:15 PM
That's what I meant. He was a regular, real life human, of possibly slightly higher than average intelligence, who thought up the whole dungeon. Some smart fictional kobolds could probably do that too.

Jellycat100
2011-11-19, 04:12 PM
Well, I would not be suprised if I made a world in which kobolds worship Candlejack. Gotcha C!
Damn it.

vitkiraven
2011-11-19, 05:00 PM
I wonder if Mr. Tallowflag is related to Hastur at all...

LibraryOgre
2011-11-20, 10:50 AM
The Mod Wonder: Closed for Necromancy. Restart if you like.