PDA

View Full Version : Metal of Faith

AmberVael
2011-07-11, 06:58 PM
Soooo...

I was just making a high level sorcerer character, and because I dearly love my versatility, I was checking out the various Shadow line of spells.

When I was looking at Shadow Conjuration (specifically Greater Shadow Conjuration), it struck me that the line:

Shadow objects or substances have normal effects except against those who disbelieve them.
Could probably be put to some very interesting uses, especially given this next fact-

Greater Shadow Conjuration can of course, be used to mimic Wall of Iron (as it is a 5th level Conjuration (Creation) spell). Wall of Iron, being an Instantaneous Conjuration (Creation) spell, is "is merely assembled through magic. It lasts indefinitely and does not depend on magic for its existence."
Now, it may be that as Greater Shadow Conjuration only mimics the spell, and is not in fact Conjuration (Creation), the above line doesn't necessarily apply... but you'd still be making quasi-real iron with an unlimited duration that only exists for people who believe in it.

This strikes me as having some particularly fascinating uses. You might, for example, create a secret "door" out of it. You know it's not a real wall, no one else does, so you scamper through it and they smash their heads into it.
Or, if you want to be more evil and devious, create a bridge from it. You purposefully fail your save, but other people might start to realize something is off, try and see the truth, and then- oh crap, they're on a nonexistent bridge and they fall into spikes below.
I'm sure these are just the most obvious uses, and that there is a lot more you could do with this (or with Wall of Stone, which would work similarly...)

Have I made any false assumptions here? If not, what uses can you think to put this to?

Thurbane
2011-07-11, 07:55 PM
I can't add much of use to your question, but I just had to say the thread title made me instantly think of Judas Priest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFvRabxUBKc). :smallbiggrin:

Eurus
2011-07-11, 08:05 PM
The "realness" of shadow conjurations is one of those weird brain-stretchers only beaten by Invisible Spell. :smallbiggrin:

It could be quite fascinating, though. Imagine making an entire castle out of shadow iron. Every wall is partially real, and so is every floor... and what about undead/constructs?

Kantolin
2011-07-11, 08:14 PM
An invisible, shadow conjured wall with a visible, shadow conjured floor?

If you fail your save there's a wall boxing you in you can't see, if you succeed on your save there isn't acutally a floor?