PDA

View Full Version : The save DC is Charisma-based

Iamtheend
2011-07-11, 11:32 PM
While playing we encountered a wraith and someone in our party had to make a fortitude save. When it says that the save DC is Charisma-based does that mean you instead of adding your constitution modifier to your Fort save you instead use your Cha mod?

Keld Denar
2011-07-11, 11:37 PM
No. DCs for most monsters are calculated as:

10 + 1/2 HD + ability

Thus, if you look at a wraith, you'll be able to back out the DC.

A wraith has a 15 Cha. Thats +2. It has 5 HD, thats another +2, The DC of a wraith's ability damage is 14 (10 + 2 + 2).

Its important if you are advancing a monster. If you give the wraith the elite array of stats, and assign the 15 to Cha, a wraith's total Cha will be 19. Thats a +4 bonus. That means its DC will go up to 16. Likewise, if you add HD, the DC will similarly go up.

Iamtheend
2011-07-11, 11:42 PM
I had to argue with my DM about this and all I could think of "what is the point of having a high Con mod for my Fort save if it's subject to change to my worst ability score by something like this?"

He has a better understanding of the Monster Manual and DMG than I do so thanks for the help.

Kantolin
2011-07-12, 04:44 AM
Its important if you are advancing a monster.

Or if someone casts 'Eagle's Splendor' on it, which would raise the save DC.

Or if someone hit it with a charisma-lowering spell or poison or psionic power or sommat. :P

Feytalist
2011-07-12, 07:40 AM
Or if someone hit it with a charisma-lowering spell or poison or psionic power or sommat. :P

And it, being a wraith, would look on in bemusement before continuing to suck the life out of him just as before.

Heh. "I poison that amorphous shadow over there."

"Um, no you don't."