PDA

View Full Version : Telflammar Shadowlord (Martial Rebuild)

Amoren
2011-07-12, 01:57 AM
Basically an idea to rebuild the Telflammar Shadowlord (a personal favorite of mine) to a martial/Tome of Battle Character. Since, ya know, there's not really a rogue flavored Tome of Battle prestige character that I've seen, and Shadowlord is a personal favorite of mine. Looking for comments addressing balance issues and what not, or to spice up something. Special thanks to the person that helped me out with it so far! Dunno if she wants her name known or not on this board. o.o

This was built/made/'designed' for a Pathfinder RP I'm joining, but it can be easily converted to 3.5 by bumping the hit die down to d6, and changing the skill requirements.

Entry Requirements
Skills: Stealth 7 Ranks
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Shadow Blade, and Blade Meditation (Shadow Hand)
Special: 2d6 Sneak Attack
Special: Must possess either the Shadow Jaunt, Shadow Stride, or Shadow Blink Maneuver
Maneuvers: Must know two maneuvers and one stance from the Shadow Hand school.

D8 Hit Die, 6 + Int Mod skill ranks per level from the rogue and swordsage list.
{table=head]Class Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Class Features|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied

1st|
+0|
0|
2|
0|Shadow Sight, Shadow Jump|1|0

2nd|
+1|
0|
3|
0|Shadow Blur, Sneak Attack +1d6|0|0

3rd|
+2|
1|
3|
1|Jaunt Mastery|1|1

4th|
+3|
1|
4|
1|Shadow Pounce, Sneak Attack +1d6|0|0

5th|
+3|
1|
4|
1|Shadow Discorporation|1|0

6th|
+4|
2|
5|
2|Shadow Step, Sneak Attack +1d6|0|1
[/table]

Maneuvers Known: At level 1, 3, and 5, the Shadowlord leans a new maneuver from the Shadow Hand school.

Shadow Sight (Ex): Gifted with a mystical connection to shadows and darkness, the shadow lord gains a superior form of dark vision with a 60-foot range. He can see through any form of normal or magical darkness without hindrance.

Shadow Jump (Su):: A Telflammar shadowlord can travel between shadows as if by means of a dimension door spell. The imitation is that the magical transport must begin and end in an area with at least some shadow or darkness. The shadowlord can jump up to a total of 20 feet per class level per day in this way. This amount can be split up among many jumps, but
each jump, no matter how small, counts as a 10-foot increment. If the Telflammar shadowlord already has shadow jump from another class, this ability confers no additional benefit.

Shadow Blur (Su): At 2nd level, a Shadowlord gains an unusual defense - anytime he is not in daylight or the illuminated radius of a light source the shadows cloak his every movement, conferring the benefits of the blur spell. The shadowlord can choose to activate or end this effect as a free action.

Sneak Attack (Ex): As the rogue special ability of the same name.

Jaunt Mastery (Ex): A Telflammar gains one additional readied maneuver which must be either Shadow Jaunt, Shadow Stride, or Shadow Blink. These do not count against the normal restriction that a martial character may only enable a specific martial maneuver once when readying maneuvers.

Shadow Pounce (Ex): At 4th level, a Telflammar shadowlord learns how to attack swiftly from the shadows. Any time he uses an ability, spell, or effect with the teleportation descriptor (for example, his shadow jump ability), he may execute a full attack upon completion of the teleportation. The shadowlord must have line of sight on his intended target from his original location, and the spot to which he teleports must be a place from which he can launch a melee attack at the intended target with whatever weapon he has in hand at the beginning of his action. He may only perform this act once per round, regardless of how many times he teleports.

Shadow Discorporation (Su): At 5th level, a Shadowlord learns how to use his mastery of shadows to cheat death. If the shadowlord is in shadows or darkness (anything but direct daylight or the illuminated radius of a light source), any damage that would reduce him to 0 hit points or below instead has a chance to discorporate him. The shadow lord attempts a Reflex save (DC 5 + damage dealt); if successful, he simply breaks apart into dozens of flitting shadows and vanishes, along with anything he is holding or carrying. At the next sunset, the shadow lord reappears at the spot of his choosing within one mile of the place where he was forced to discorporate. While discorporate, the shadow lord simply does not exist - he can do nothing, nor can ay of his enemies do anything to him.

Shadow Step (Su): Once per encounter, you may use this ability by expending a prepared strike as a full round action. You slip through the shadows, making a single attack at your highest attack bonus against every enemy in a thirty foot range. In addition, if they fail a spot check opposed by your stealth check, they are considered flat-footed for this attack. You can not utilize Shadow Pounce in conjunction with this ability. This is a supernatural ability.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-07-12, 02:09 AM
1) Should be in Homebrew forum...

2) Why bother? Prerequsites are Dimension Door and +2d6 Sneak Attack, plus assorted other feat and skill tax. You need some kind of teleportation anyways, just to use Shadow Pounce, and 2d6 sneak attack can be done with Assassin's Stance.

3) Simply state that the teleportation line from Shadow Hand counts as DimDoor for purposes of qualifying. Now a Swordsage can enter easily.

4) He can FULL ATTACK ON A TELEPORT, he doesn't need any more power...

Amoren
2011-07-12, 02:14 AM
1) Should be in Homebrew forum...

2) Why bother? Prerequsites are Dimension Door and +2d6 Sneak Attack, plus assorted other feat and skill tax. You need some kind of teleportation anyways, just to use Shadow Pounce, and 2d6 sneak attack can be done with Assassin's Stance.

3) Simply state that the teleportation line from Shadow Hand counts as DimDoor for purposes of qualifying. Now a Swordsage can enter easily.

4) He can FULL ATTACK ON A TELEPORT, he doesn't need any more power...

Do'h, didn't know there WAS a homebrew forum. Guess I should delete and move over?

And it wasn't about giving him/it more power, or that swordsages could already (kinda) qualify. It was supposed to make it a prestige class that advances martial maneuvers instead of a small spell casting list, refluff it a bit to fit better with swordsage, and add an interesting capstone ability because all Prestige Classes need kick ass capstone. xD

Edit: And make the feat requirements less kicked in the balls rough.

Candleke
2011-07-12, 02:25 AM
I want to be that.

Shadow Blur (Su): At 2nd level, a Shadowlord gains an unusual defense - anytime he is not in daylight or the illuminated radius of a light source the shadows cloak his every movement, conferring the benefits of the blur spell. The shadowlord can choose to activate or end this effect as a free action.

i would change the text for this to say direct sunlight or direct light from a light source of a torch or higher, but mostly because it sounds like the description for almost every other ability like this.

Also the shadow pounce is a little extreme, I would change it like maybe take a small minus to all attacks on it? I don't know but damn.

Amoren
2011-07-12, 09:13 AM
I want to be that.

i would change the text for this to say direct sunlight or direct light from a light source of a torch or higher, but mostly because it sounds like the description for almost every other ability like this.

Also the shadow pounce is a little extreme, I would change it like maybe take a small minus to all attacks on it? I don't know but damn.

Well, I thought it'd be better being usable only with Shadow Jaunt (so it requires a standard action to use, at least). But my friend thought otherwise. At the very least, it's weaker than the original ability because it's limited to once per turn (so you can't get three full attacks in one round by using Shadow Jaunt, Shadow Stride, and Shadow Blink.

Anyway, I've created a new topic for this in the homebrew forum, but I don't know how to delete this topic. So I guess everyone just comment on the one over there and let this one die? xD