PDA

View Full Version : Feats to kill dragons?

Kefkafreak
2011-07-12, 02:13 AM
So, we just finished a campaign and the next one will apparently be extremely dragon-centric, as in, most of the enemies will be dragons.

I was originally going to play an Eldritch Disciple necromancer, but the DM advised me not to use it because it wouldn't fit (or maybe he's just scared of an undead dragon army) and because some of the other players won't be too optimized, so I'll use that in the next one.

I've decided to play a Beastmaster. I'll start as a "Deadly Hunter" Druid (no wildshape, but favored enemies like a Ranger and other stuff like tracking, Wis to AC and bonus speed). I'll probably use a large race with LA (buyoff is allowed) to limit myself even more at the beginning and get some nice ability scores (I'll need Strength with no wildshape). I'll use throwing shortspears with Brutal Throw and if I start to fall too far behind I'll get Hulking Hurler levels (but won't abuse it).

Now, this character really hates dragons, so I want to make use of lots of those stupid dragon-killing feats, weapon enhancements, and stuff that nobody ever uses because there's less than 10 dragons in a normal campaign. Remember that I have Favored Enemy (Dragon). Any suggestions?

TroubleBrewing
2011-07-12, 02:14 AM
Shivering Touch, out of Frostburn.

It's pretty much the Porsche of Dragon-slaying spells.

EDIT: Wow, did not read as much of the OP as I thought. If you're going for melee... Damn, I don't even know. Ranger, maybe?

Kefkafreak
2011-07-12, 02:19 AM

EDIT: Wow, did not read as much of the OP as I thought. If you're going for melee... Damn, I don't even know. Ranger, maybe?

I already have Favored Enemy. What I want to use is stuff that is way too situational for a normal campaign, like some kind of Dragonbane weapon (I looked at the ones in the MiC and wasn't impressed).

SleepyBadger
2011-07-12, 02:19 AM
I was originally going to play an Eldritch Disciple necromancer, but the DM advised me not to use it because it wouldn't fit (or maybe he's just scared of an undead dragon army) and because some of the other players won't be too optimized, so I'll use that in the next one.
Necromancy still sound like a good idea with lots of no ST spells if you can lower their SR... Shivering Touch is nice though.

Serpentine
2011-07-12, 04:15 AM
Do you have access to the Draconomicon? It has some stuff like that, and some good equipment for dragon-hunting, too (iirc).

edit: Here's some.

Dragon Foe, Dragon Hunter, Dragon Hunter Bravery, Dragon Hunter Defense, Dragonbane, Dragonfoe, Dragondoom, Suppress Presence. All except the last are from Draconomicon. The last is from Dragon Magazine #343.

Kefkafreak
2011-07-12, 04:45 AM
Thanks, I'll be sure to check those out later :smallbiggrin:

Feytalist
2011-07-12, 04:54 AM
Suppress Presence (if it does what I think it does) can be gotten from various items, most of which are in the MIC.

Also, to fight a dragon, be a dragon! Dragonborn get +2 AC against dragons and some other nice stuff. Might not fit with your character background though.

ILM
2011-07-12, 07:17 AM
If you plan to do some stealthiness, Darkstalker from Lords of Madness is pretty much your only way to get around a dragon's Blindsense.

Alleran
2011-07-12, 07:30 AM

Porsche? You mean Bugatti Veyron.

And you can use Shivering Touch as an up-close spell, but you'd also probably need Mystic Ranger and Sword of the Arcane Order if you wanted to get Shivering Touch. Your general attack plan would be to buff up and then charge in.

Do you absolutely have to be a druid-based build, or are you open to other options?

mootoall
2011-07-12, 07:42 AM
There's a weapon enhancement in some book called Foebane or something, which gives you great bonuses against your favored enemies.

hamishspence
2011-07-12, 07:45 AM
Fiercebane is a useful upgrade to bane weapons- that, among other things, makes it glow in the presence of the bane creature.

Allowing you to replicate Sting from The Hobbit and LoTR.

Feytalist
2011-07-12, 08:21 AM
There's a weapon enhancement in some book called Foebane or something, which gives you great bonuses against your favored enemies.

It's in the MIC.

Also, dragonslaying arrows. Only useful on lower levels, but still.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-12, 08:59 AM
I think this could be one of the few times some of the prg classes out of the Draconomicon would be useful, IIRC Dragonstalker is not bad (even getting a +1 on Zeals Prg class tier list)

peacenlove
2011-07-12, 09:22 AM
A dip into dragonslayer (Needs BAB 5, dodge, iron will) nets you +1 caster level, proficiency with all armors/shields (useful since you forfeit wildshape) and Immunity to fear, as well as +1 attack and d10 hd.

Iron will can be obtained by the magical location otyugh hole in complete scoundrel for 3k gold, and dodge can be substituted for desert wind dodge (Tome of Battle) or expeditious dodge (races of wild), both of them are superior choices.

There are some Tiger claw maneuvers that only work vs larger creatures, as well as a stance that enables you to fight normally in any grapple with a +4 bonus to attack.

Darkstalker (Lords of madness) lets you bypass all of the dragon's natural senses. Note however that dragons usually have higher HD than you which means that they will usually have greater spot values than your hide skill, not to mention alternate detection methods via their innate spellcasting.

Focus on mobility (standing next to a dragon is a recipe for disaster, 200-400 damage / full attack, maybe more depending on optimization level) and bypassing low level magical defenses (For instance Scintillating scales shuts down Shivering Touch, a simple entangle/grease can hinder your mobility, lesser globe of invulnerability forces you to spend higher level spells and so on)

Thurbane
2011-07-12, 09:19 PM
I dunno about feats to kill dragons, but some feats that will help you (or others) fight them are:
Bane Magic (HoH - only of use to casters/blasters)
Dragon Hunter (Drac)
Dragonbane (Drac)
Dragondoom (Drac)
Dragonfoe (Drac)
Favoured Critical (MoW)
Favoured Magic Foe (CM - only of use to casters)
Favoured power Attack (CW)
Improved favoured Enemy (CW)
Slayer of Dragons (DM)
Wise to Your Ways (GW)