PDA

View Full Version : Colors in Chrome

Artemis97
2011-07-12, 06:18 AM
I've recently been trying to transition myself between internet explorer and chrome. Back in i/e I used to be able to select a text color from the menu above the text box and then go back and click it again as I needed it. But working in chrome, instead of putting in the name of the color when I click the box, I get an odd string of numbers that doesn't work to color the text.

As an example:

Here I am selecting the initial color.

And

here's the next part.

Oh, that's curious... it worked properly for green. Maybe it's only complicated colors?

Let's try it with dark orange.

Aha. There we go.

Now, if I go back in and select it manually, it all works fine, and of course, I can always just go back in and write in the color I need, so it's really a minor inconvenience (if an annoying one when you use colored text as much as I do), but I did want to call your attention to it and wonder if anyone else was experiencing the same problem and if there were any solutions.

I vaguely remember running into this issue before, but not the circumstances under which is occurred.

Thanks.

Shadowcaller
2011-07-12, 06:44 AM
I've recently been trying to transition myself between internet explorer and chrome. Back in i/e I used to be able to select a text color from the menu above the text box and then go back and click it again as I needed it. But working in chrome, instead of putting in the name of the color when I click the box, I get an odd string of numbers that doesn't work to color the text.

As an example:

Here I am selecting the initial color.

And

here's the next part.

Oh, that's curious... it worked properly for green. Maybe it's only complicated colors?

Let's try it with dark orange.

Aha. There we go.

Now, if I go back in and select it manually, it all works fine, and of course, I can always just go back in and write in the color I need, so it's really a minor inconvenience (if an annoying one when you use colored text as much as I do), but I did want to call your attention to it and wonder if anyone else was experiencing the same problem and if there were any solutions.

I vaguely remember running into this issue before, but not the circumstances under which is occurred.

Thanks.

In chrome as I have learned, you need to re-select the color every time or an error will occur. You can't just click it over and over again, you need to click the color and select it again.

I don't know if there may be a technical solution though.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-07-12, 11:03 AM
Hmm. That "odd string of numbers" is actually the RGB code for the color. "RGB" stands for "Red/Green/Blue", and refers to the amount of each color that is needed to make up the final color.

Interesting.

Ichneumon
2011-07-12, 11:18 AM
I've encountered the same issue, using the chrome web-browser.

Deathslayer7
2011-07-12, 12:12 PM
I mentioned this problem earlier. It only happens with some colors for me. Mainly the "dark" ones such as darkred or darkgreen.

Anyway, the way to bypass it is to actually click the drop down button then click the color rather than just clicking on the fast color route.

TheLaughingMan
2011-07-12, 03:29 PM
I got the same problem, and I've got Safari. Take that as you will.

Gorgondantess
2011-07-12, 05:48 PM
I've always had that problem myself... from IE to Firefox to Chrome.

Temotei
2011-07-12, 06:25 PM
Firefox to Chrome.

Odd. I never had that trouble when I used Firefox.

Escheton
2011-08-02, 11:31 PM
Trying out colors by using the RGB code did not seem to work.
Does that mean you can only chose colors from the existing named pallet?

Icewalker
2011-08-03, 02:12 AM
Huuuuh! I never noticed that (never clicked the color button, don't need colors terribly often repeated in the same post), but mine seems to do the same, giving an rgb code which the forum doesn't work with.

Also, small (probably unrelated) note. When I press ctrl-b or ctrl-i or whatever, it doesn't bold/italicize anymore, since I got my new computer. Which is when I started using chrome...I should check that on firefox on this computer sometime.

Siosilvar
2011-08-03, 10:37 AM
If you need the same color more than once, why not just copy and paste the bit?

Archwizard
2011-08-03, 11:23 AM
If you need the same color more than once, why not just copy and paste the bit?

Just because workarounds exist, doesn't mean the bug shouldn't be fixed.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-08-03, 01:08 PM
No, you can id colors by hex code.

Use a tool like this (http://www.colorpicker.com/) to get a custom color code.

Ashen Lilies
2011-08-04, 10:44 AM

No, you can get any color you like, either by using the web name for it, or by using the hexacode.

For example, using
gets me this,

gets me this.

The same result can be obtained using the hexacode for that color.

For example.

For example.

Castaras
2011-08-04, 11:27 AM
Buuuuut names can mean different colours in different browsers.

This is in colour Castaras.

happyturtle
2011-08-04, 11:32 AM
testing color happyturtle

Whee! it works! It didn't used to work in firefox.

Icewalker
2011-08-04, 01:39 PM
Test? Huh. I guess I'm pink. That's interesting. How does the system convert strings into colors?

More testing.

Well, whatever it is, it's not cap sensitive.

unosarta
2011-08-04, 07:43 PM
Buuuuut names can mean different colours in different browsers.

This is in colour Castaras.

Actually, from my experience, if the code can't get the word to mean a specific color, it usually randomizes the color.

For instance.

For instance.

Siosilvar
2011-08-04, 08:17 PM
The colors aren't random; I'm reasonably certain the letters are converted to numbers (via ASCII, probably) and then the color generated from those. Sort of like how Minecraft creates a usable seed for a world from an arbitrary string.

aaaa
aaab
baaa
caaa
vaaa

Rawhide
2011-08-04, 08:20 PM
Going off-topic, closed.