PDA

View Full Version : Large or Huge Mount?

Major
2011-07-12, 06:28 AM
So, I am making a Paladin/Ashworm Dragoon and the DM gave me the option of either a large or huge Ashworm reminding me that at times being huge might be a problem.

Due to the fact that I get so many mounted bonuses, large seems to be useful considering the fact that I'll be able to be on it more often I would assume. However huge also comes with its own advantages including the fact that with the Cavalry Charger feat I could trample everything within in 60x15 foot area and force them to take a full round action to get up as well as the nice +8 str, +4 con, and other goodies.

On one hand the mount being big isn't as bad since it has a burrow speed and as such could be underground a lot of the time if its too small an area. But still, I'm lance based and a lot of feats are mounted combat charge related.

I guess the point I'm wondering is should I make it huge or stick with large? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

Ravens_cry
2011-07-12, 06:32 AM
Are you going to be fighting in dungeons, buildings and other confined spaces? Large is still a disadvantage but better than Huge.

Tvtyrant
2011-07-12, 08:13 AM
I think the chance of 5' corridors means that neither matter in dungeons excepting wide open rooms, so I would go Huge and then just take fighting on foot when not in open spaces.

Major
2011-07-12, 08:15 AM
Well there is also the chance of a 10 foot corridor :P

Here is an interesting note...does a burrow speed have to be 100% below ground or could my mount be partially below ground, etc?

IthroZada
2011-07-12, 12:17 PM
By the by, there is a magic item that shrinks your creature for the express purpose of being able to get them into places they normally couldn't. I can't for the life of me remember what it is though, because I've been trying to find it for something similar.

Darrin
2011-07-12, 12:22 PM
By the by, there is a magic item that shrinks your creature for the express purpose of being able to get them into places they normally couldn't. I can't for the life of me remember what it is though, because I've been trying to find it for something similar.

Shrink Collar. 10000 GP, Arms & Equipment Guide p. 80.

IthroZada
2011-07-12, 12:25 PM
Shrink Collar. 10000 GP, Arms & Equipment Guide p. 80.

Well thank you.

Looking it up, to moves you straight down to small, which while still useful, is less useful for actually riding the creature. A custom magic item might be in store.

Kojiro
2011-07-12, 12:26 PM
...Could you fight from the back of such a huge creature? Without ranged weapons, I mean. Like, your mount would have to lean over so that you could hit someone with your sword; it'd be easier to just let the mount do the combat (although that may be what you're talking about; you're mentioning combat while on a mount but I'm not sure if you have bonuses to commanding the mount in combat or actually hitting things while you yourself are on said mount).

And now I'm imagining someone standing on the bad of some Colossal dragon, waving his sword at people. This amuses me for some reason.

Anyway, sorry I'm not of much help here; never really took a look at the mounted combat rules. Good luck figuring this out.

Graytemplar
2011-07-12, 03:54 PM
what if u made it like one of those wondrous statuettes?
u know like the ebon fly or gwenhyvar

imagine it, ur in an underground dungeon, cornered by a mindflayer and its thralls, u activate ur statue and suddenly a huge m****r-f***ing ashworm bursts through the wall and raises all havoc:amused::amused:

Curmudgeon
2011-07-12, 04:45 PM
Here is an interesting note...does a burrow speed have to be 100% below ground or could my mount be partially below ground, etc?
If you've got the capability of moving both on land and through it, you can certainly move in the transition zone. You'll move at whichever of your two speeds is slower, of course.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-12, 05:20 PM
I think the chance of 5' corridors means that neither matter in dungeons excepting wide open rooms, so I would go Huge and then just take fighting on foot when not in open spaces.
At least a Large creature can Squeeze (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm) down a five foot corridor. A Huge one you are forced to leave outside.

Coidzor
2011-07-12, 05:43 PM
Tunnelriding and tunnelfighting I believe are the answer here. And since you can get two of the mounted combat feats easily through items... <_< >_>

edit: Sorry. These are from Races of Stone, forgot to mention that. :smallredface:

Helps with the large ashworm except for the move speed penalty for squeezing and helps with the huge in areas where it can burrow, i think.

tyckspoon
2011-07-12, 11:20 PM
In any place an ashworm would be comfortable, a Huge one should fit just as well as a Large one, and the Huge one will be notably more dangerous. I'd go Huge, on the premise that a sandworm is not going to be especially useful in your standard dungeon complex even if you can make a Large one squeeze through the smaller corridors.. tends to take up a disproportionate amount of space in your usual 20 by 20 room, too, space that the rest of your party may have wanted to use to navigate or try to avoid frying you with AoE effects.

Snails
2011-07-12, 11:58 PM
If on a Huge mount, you can use a lance, Enlarge Person, and thereby have a tremendous tactical footprint.

But you will need to invest in that collar.