PDA

View Full Version : Proposal: Panic Button

Xapi
2011-07-12, 08:12 AM
WARNING: Please everyone try to keep this on topic, because as soon as it derails it will be closed. It may be closed just by staying on topic, but whatever.

I don't think I have to explain the consequences of long hiatuses between comics. I know I don't need to be explained the reasons for those hiatuses (so please don't).

What I want to propose, take it or leave it, and if you agree just say "I agree" and don't go on a rant that will get the thread closed, is for there to be a simple, easy way for The Giant to let us know that he is unavailable and will not be posting for a while.

Idealy, it would work like a panic button, one click on the webpage would turn it into "panic mode" (sounds too big, I know) and put an alert that the comic will be delayed for whatever time is necesary.

Not so idealy but pretty close, the Giant could have a "safe word", that he could post on the news or as a thread in the forum.

So, we would all know that if the Giant posts a thread titled "FLUMPHS" or whatever with no info in it, it means that there will be a delay in the comic (we can guess or not weather it's health related or otherwise).

Anyway, that's just an idea put forward to try and slow the cries for info around the forum and the subsequent need to moderate threads.

I hope this is an appropiate topic, I know it borderlines an inappropiate topic but I guess that's the mods call, if you feel it should be closed go ahead.

Again, please, no derailing.

Cizak
2011-07-12, 08:16 AM
The whole reason we don't get info on when the hiatuses are coming is because Rich isn't able to give us info. How will this make anything different? :smallconfused:

SPoD
2011-07-12, 08:20 AM
I have no idea what situation would exist where the Giant would be capable of posting one word, but not more than one word.

Xapi
2011-07-12, 08:21 AM
Because the amount of effort required for something like this is much, much smaller than that required to make an actual post explaining the situation.

I grant that perhaps he's unavailable to make the most minimum effort, but I can't be certain because I won't speculate on what his illness is.

If the answer by him or anyone else who knows about it is "No, he can't even make the most minimal effort", then you're right.

(There's a chance that someone else could push the button, but that's a stretch)

Xiander
2011-07-12, 09:14 AM
In his newest news post the giant wrote:

For those just worried about the comic, rest assured that I am back for the foreseeable future (which is not very foreseeable, but still). Thanks to those of you who expressed concern for me. I did want to emphasize to those of you who asked, however, that OOTS is still officially on a random schedule. I might post once a day, once a week, or once a month, depending on my ability to work, and that there will usually be no warning on my part beyond those explanations that are already on the record. Obviously, I'd like to post a few per week, but I wanted to stress that if I can't, please don't be surprised or expect additional notification. Let this serve as prior notice for all future absences: there won't be any prior notice of future absences.

There you go. We are in a "panic" state.

As far as I am concerned the Giant need not do any more than that.

Esprit15
2011-07-12, 09:43 AM
In his newest news post the giant wrote:

There you go. We are in a "panic" state.

As far as I am concerned the Giant need not do any more than that.

Agreed. His warning that he will be absent will be a lack of posts.

Vladislav
2011-07-12, 10:23 AM
and put an alert that the comic will be delayed for whatever time is necesary.I was under the impression that the comic is always delayed for whatever time is necessary.

Ted The Bug
2011-07-12, 11:55 AM
I completely agree with your idea, but I don't think it's all that doable. Communication is awesome, but if the Giant can't communicate for whatever reason, I don't see how he could...uh...communicate with us to tell us that he can't communicate. <Xzibit picture here>
It's a good idea, but just not all that realistic, even tho I wish it were.

NerfTW
2011-07-12, 12:10 PM
Because the amount of effort required for something like this is much, much smaller than that required to make an actual post explaining the situation.

I grant that perhaps he's unavailable to make the most minimum effort, but I can't be certain because I won't speculate on what his illness is.

If the answer by him or anyone else who knows about it is "No, he can't even make the most minimal effort", then you're right.

(There's a chance that someone else could push the button, but that's a stretch)

I think you're making a lot of ridiculous assumptions about what causes his delays. For starters, he has a family and a wife, and friends. If he was actually THAT incapacitated that he needed a one button push to say "I'M DOWN", there are plenty of family and friends that could post that information for him.

This isn't an issue of him not being physically able to tell us about delays, it's an issue of privacy. Rest assured that if there actually was a medical emergency, he has plenty of people who will know, and he doesn't need to alert us about it. He doesn't want to be posting "Oh, I'm not going to post this week because of health" or "I'm not posting this week because I'm arguing with lawyers about the book situation" or "I'm on vacation with my family". That's his choice, and we need to respect that.

weeping eagle
2011-07-12, 12:41 PM
I respectfully suggest that you reexamine your priorities in life.

NerfTW
2011-07-12, 02:05 PM
I should also point out that this whole "he's bedridden for weeks" thing is just something someone made up in a thread from some misremembered comment, probably that one filler strip about the flu. As near as he's said, the issue is with sitting at a computer for any length of time, not being completely incapacitated. But that was years ago. He's certainly not some shut in that needs a panic button to tell people online that he's not going to be around for a bit.

MoonCat
2011-07-12, 02:28 PM
I believe the Giant's recent post speaks for itself.

Originally Posted by The Giant
Let this serve as prior notice for all future absences: there won't be any prior notice of future absences.

KillianHawkeye
2011-07-12, 04:04 PM
I think this is unnecessary, because if the Giant wanted to inform us about delays in the comic, he already has the means to do so. This comic is not on a regular update schedule and hasn't been for years. It just updates when it updates. Whenever there is a lack of communication, suffice it to say that he has his reasons and leave it at that.

Nimrod's Son
2011-07-12, 04:38 PM
This random schedule is nowhere near regimented enough for my liking.

FujinAkari
2011-07-12, 04:40 PM
random schedule is nowhere near regimented enough

This is like saying vanilla ice cream isn't chocolate enough :P

Nimrod's Son
2011-07-12, 04:42 PM
Now that you mention it... it isn't.

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-07-12, 04:48 PM
Now that you mention it... it isn't.
But it is too strawberry.

Darth Hunterix
2011-07-12, 06:28 PM
So what, someone presses the button and we all start running around and screaming in panic? Yeah, that's gonna be sooooooo cool feature...

Anyway, someone asked somewhere above why someone would be able to write one word, but not more. So I give you an answer and it is "mobile phones". Right now almost every mobile gives you a function to access Internet (at lest with GPRS speed, but I haven't seen it for quite awhile, the worst stuff I've seen lately is EDGE, which gives you a very decent throughput) from any places you want. With satellite phone you can send data even from North Pole. But there is a "but". No matter what model you have: Nokia? IPhone? BlackBerry? there is always one problem with it: it is SMALL! It is {Scrubbed} SMALL! Typing on it is a real one heck of a pain in the thumb! So, 160 characters SMS? You can live with that. An update on website like this one? NO WAY! So that could be the point of one codeword: to send it via mobile phone without going through hell. Non other.

The Succubus
2011-07-12, 06:29 PM
It says a lot about a community that gets almost sexual thrills out of rolling dice that it doesn't like a randomised comic schedule. :smallwink:

Esprit15
2011-07-12, 06:33 PM
In addition, I have another thing to add to the previous comment: auto-correct. Fine and dandy when you're reading through the entire post carefully or not in a hurry, but extremely irritating almost any other time.

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-07-12, 10:26 PM
A much simpler solution (besides simply waiting patiently) would be for Rich and Roland to exchange phone numbers. Then after say 15 days from Rich's last post, Roland gives Rich a call. Either the answer will be "I'm OK, strip will be out later today," or it will be "Feel like crud. Let the board know it's gonna be a while longer."

Then Roland makes a quick announcement, and everybody settles down.

Esprit15
2011-07-12, 10:34 PM
A much simpler solution (besides simply waiting patiently) would be for Rich and Roland to exchange phone numbers. Then after say 15 days from Rich's last post, Roland gives Rich a call. Either the answer will be "I'm OK, strip will be out later today," or it will be "Feel like crud. Let the board know it's gonna be a while longer."

Then Roland makes a quick announcement, and everybody settles down.

How about giving the guy his space? If things really are bad he has IRL friends who know about this place that can let us know.

Worira
2011-07-13, 12:39 AM
Personally, I'd prefer a Don't Panic button.

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-13, 12:40 AM
Troll Patrol: The Giant has made it known before that the forum rules and other policies and practices aren't going to be altered by a community vote. Suggestions are welcome and there is precedent for them being implemented (e.g. the spoiler button), but a simple up or down vote by the community, as requested by the OP, won't affect the outcome either way. Further discussion of the proposal is therefore moot so I'm going to close the thread.