PDA

View Full Version : Savage Species templates

Graha013
2011-07-12, 10:52 AM
A player for my upcoming campaign has requested to use savage species templates for his character. I've already warned all that templates and races that have level adjustments will be less effective later in the campaign, but I've allowed all material except dragon magazine and eberron for this campaign.

The template he is wanting to use is anthropomorphic - which when you have so many other race equivalents (such as the orca man - Darfellan race - vs. an anthropomorphic orca whale from savage species) you kinda gotta wonder why they even made it.

My question is has savage species and it's templates been viewed as an overpowering/useless/nerfing source? Are there concerns that he's bringing on an anthropomorphic ape man, cleric wizard? I haven't rolled his stats, and with those bonuses I can only imagine he anticipates using Dex (a +6) as a dump stat to cover (otherwise why not make something based on Dex?).

Thoughts?

edit: Psionics are not allowed for characters and undead are highly frowned upon. If that makes any difference for anyone suggestions tweaks/builds/thoughts on using savage species or other templates.

IthroZada
2011-07-12, 11:38 AM
Well, for starters, Anthropomorphic creatures are creatures in their own right, not just a template you slap on. As for being overpowered, picking the right ones can get you a nice stat boost for a relatively low LA increase, but you don't gain any broken special abilities or SLAs.

Edit: And he'll be losing two caster levels, in what looks like a multiclassed build. (Unless you mentioned gestalt and I missed it.)

kharmakazy
2011-07-12, 12:06 PM
Also, templates tend to make you weaker at earlier levels, but their penalty is usually negligible later in the game, especially if you use buy off rules. But taking a LA hit on a full caster without a super good reason border on madness.

Baleen whale and Bat are the 2 most commonly anthros that are commented as being OP, IIRC.

IthroZada
2011-07-12, 12:13 PM
Also, templates tend to make you weaker at earlier levels, but their penalty is usually negligible later in the game, especially if you use buy off rules. But taking a LA hit on a full caster without a super good reason border on madness.

Baleen whale and Bat are the 2 most commonly anthros that are commented as being OP, IIRC.

Sadly, buy off rules will be much less help in regards to anthros, as you will be getting 2 racial hit dice or more with any medium sized and up creature.

Urpriest
2011-07-12, 02:03 PM
Make sure the guy understands how racial hit dice work, as people are constantly coming to these forums assuming they understand ECL when they don't know that racial hit dice add to ECL.

If he's still interested, then yeah, anthro ape is not very broken. The more powerful anthropomorphic animals are the very high Str ones like Baleen Whale, and the no-RHD, +0 LA ones with nice ability boosts like Bat. Ape is pretty middle of the road, really.

Graha013
2011-07-15, 08:16 AM
Make sure the guy understands how racial hit dice work, as people are constantly coming to these forums assuming they understand ECL when they don't know that racial hit dice add to ECL.

If he's still interested, then yeah, anthro ape is not very broken. The more powerful anthropomorphic animals are the very high Str ones like Baleen Whale, and the no-RHD, +0 LA ones with nice ability boosts like Bat. Ape is pretty middle of the road, really.

My previous DM warned me about that (my mentor you might say) and he specifically mentioned the whale. I just re-read those entries on SS and yeah. that is kinda crazy. I was like "why not go octopus w/ multiattack...oh, because you can't breath" but whales are (duh) mammals and have no such problem.

Edit: Note, my knowledge on HD vs. ECL. ECL for the group is 5. He is an Anthropomorphic ape - Wiz 1/Cle 2. 2HD from the race. He will gain his ability modifier for lvl 4 next level when he gets his 4th character lvl.

Right?

Why even play a Darfellan then!