PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Firefall Spell

RndmNumGen
2011-07-12, 12:52 PM
I was browsing through the PFSRD today when I stumbled across this neat looking 4th-level Transmutation spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/firefall). It's sort of like an advanced version of Pyrotechnics, causing blindness but in addition, dealing 5d6 fire damage to everything within a 60 foot radius. That's one of the largest area of effect spells I've seen. I was comparing this to the Fireball spell, and the primary advantages of Firefall seems to be the larger radius and the blindness effect. In comparison, Fireball doesn't need a fire source to cast and the damage scales with caster level instead of being capped at 5d6.

What do you guys think of this spell? Is it worth getting? How does it compare to other 4th level spells? It seems enormously powerful in the right situation, but that's just it... it seems rather situational. Speaking of which, anyone know of a good way to light fires some distance away? Having my raven familiar fly over and drop Alchemist's Fire maybe?

ericgrau
2011-07-12, 01:01 PM
Reach spell mage hand everburning torch. Like pyrotechnics the spell seems like an army wrecker, ya, covering 24-48 inches of battle mat space. But at only level 4 accessible at a level when fireball is doing 7d6 to 9d6 and combining two spells into one it seems excellent even against smaller forces. Unlike pyrotechnics its official duration is instantaneous so it's eligible for selective spell. I'd use selective spell to exclude your allies and spend turn after turn saying "I nuke the field".

If that's not allowed you could always pump your allies with draconic reservoir and hand out potions of remove blindness for those that fail their will save. They'll lose an action but only if they fail their save and blind monsters without potions will be worse off. A bit expensive though.

Graytemplar
2011-07-12, 04:00 PM
first turn, fireball
second turn firefall, on whatever caught on fire

or just quicken them

imagine it,
BOOM!
Oh god! Steve's on fire!
DAAABBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!

RndmNumGen
2011-07-12, 04:34 PM
first turn, fireball
second turn firefall, on whatever caught on fire

Fireball doesn't light things on fire, so it can't be used as a fire source.

Not sure if Continual Flame spells or an Everburning Torch would work or not... they're fire-like, but don't really burn.

IthroZada
2011-07-12, 04:40 PM
Fireball doesn't light things on fire, so it can't be used as a fire source.

Untrue.

The fireball sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in the area. It can melt metals with low melting points, such as lead, gold, copper, silver, and bronze. If the damage caused to an interposing barrier shatters or breaks through it, the fireball may continue beyond the barrier if the area permits; otherwise it stops at the barrier just as any other spell effect does.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/fireball

Candleke
2011-07-12, 04:47 PM
There is always

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/spontaneous-immolation

not 100% but could work. You can also use it to hit them at camp either cooking dinner or breakfast, especially if you are fighting a large group with multiple campfires

RndmNumGen
2011-07-12, 05:00 PM
Untrue.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/fireball

Huh. What do you know... so it does. My bad.

ericgrau
2011-07-12, 05:06 PM
Ya but instant spells don't normally light creatures on fire, nor most objects. Unless there are some papers or some brush or other "combustibles" in the area you're out of luck. Heck even a log would likely only be charred, as anyone who has ever tried to burn one without several minutes of flame can attest. Firefall OTOH lights creatures on fire, which means if you get a fire source for the first one you'll also have fire sources for the next one.

Everburning torches are odd in that they are heatless flames that won't burn anything but I already checked the spell description and they are in fact magical fires, which firefall affects. But even if your DM nixes it you simply reach spell mage hand a lantern instead.