PDA

View Full Version : Spellwarp Sniper question

mrcarter11
2011-07-12, 03:05 PM
So reading through the PrC is seems entertaining enough. But I was wondering if there was a way to spellwarp spells higher than 5th level.. Any answers will be appreciated.

Keld Denar
2011-07-12, 03:16 PM
Sanctum Spell is one of the most common cheats. Outside of your sanctum, a Santum Spell is considered for ALL purposes, to be one level lower than the slot it occupies.

The other two options are Uncanny Trickster (CSc) which gives 2/3 progression and Legacy Champion? from Weapons of Legacy, which gives 5/7 progression but requires you to actually use the crappy Weapons of Legacy rules.

If you combine Uncanny Trickster with Sanctum Spell, you could Warp up to 8th level spells. That should cover pretty much anything, since I can't think of that many 9th level spells that would be advantageous to warp. Maybe Fimbulwinter? Obedient Avalanche?

mrcarter11
2011-07-13, 10:48 PM
Well then.. I thank you Keld for your time. And I shall see you next time.

Hold the phone. I thought caster level went down, not the spell level when outside your sanctum.

mootoall
2011-07-13, 10:56 PM
Well then.. I thank you Keld for your time. And I shall see you next time.

Hold the phone. I thought caster level went down, not the spell level when outside your sanctum.

Nope. Spell level. Which makes metamagic delicious.

mrcarter11
2011-07-13, 11:02 PM
I don't have CArc on hand right this moment. But this is the copied text from my feat guide
Sanctum Spell
[Metamagic]
(CArc p82)
any other Metamagic
+0
A spell effected by this feat is cast at +1 Caster level if within your ‘Sanctum’ and at –1 Caster level if cast outside your ‘Sanctum’.
A caster can only have one Sanctum, which requires several months to set up and can be no larger than 20’ per level in diameter.

So it's wrong? Just for the record, I'm not angry, just trying to figure this out..

mootoall
2011-07-13, 11:04 PM
Sanctum Spell
[Metamagic]
Your spells are especially potent on home ground.

Prerequisite: Any metamagic feat

Benefit: A sanctum spell has an effective spell level 1 higher than its normal level if cast in your sanctum (see below), but if not cast in the sanctum, the spell has an effective spell level 1 lower than normal. All effects dependent on spell level (including save DCs) are calculated according to the adjusted level. A sanctum spell uses a spell slot of the spell's normal level.

Special: Your sanctum is a particular site, building, or structure previously designated by you, and no larger than 20 feet/level in diameter. The designated area must be a site where you have spent a cumulative period of at least three months. Though a sanctum can be designated within a larger structure, its special advantages do not apply beyond the maximum area. Once designated, it takes seven days for a site to become a sanctum, and if you designate a new area to be your sanctum, the benefits of the old one immediately fade..

mrcarter11
2011-07-13, 11:25 PM
Well I thank you for the update my good man.. And that kills my build, but it was cool while it lasted.

Psyren
2011-07-13, 11:28 PM
I'm honestly not sure why you'd want to. Way better things to do with your high-level slots than blast.

mootoall
2011-07-13, 11:34 PM
How does it kill your build? It makes it easier for you to get 8th level spells as snipable ones, and makes it easier for you to Empower/Maximize them too.

mrcarter11
2011-07-13, 11:38 PM
Because sometimes, it isn't about what's best for power or roleplay, it's about looking dam cool at what your doing :smallbiggrin: And the idea of hitting someone with Burst of Glacial Wraith, 4 times in a round.. Just screamed cool to Me.. :smallcool:

Ah. Kills my build, cause there isn't a cheap way to do it.. I don't have an access of levels to play with, and was hoping it revolved around certain spells and feats.. Three levels of Trickster, make it a much more difficult build to pull of.

mootoall
2011-07-13, 11:47 PM
Well, Sanctum Spell alone lets you get 6th level spells ... What are the skill requirements for Uncanny Trickster again? They're probably pretty heavy, but nothing you can't do with a regular Rogue/Wizard/Spellwarp Sniper build ...

mrcarter11
2011-07-13, 11:48 PM
Well, that's probably very true. It is easy to get into when using that build.. However, I'm using a far different build.. So that really doesn't help Me any.

mootoall
2011-07-13, 11:49 PM
Well, that's probably very true. It is easy to get into when using that build.. However, I'm using a far different build.. So that really doesn't help Me any.

Ah, okay, didn't know that. What is your build? Maybe I can help you out within those limits. I'm AFB, but there are a few tricks I remember offhand ...

mrcarter11
2011-07-13, 11:54 PM
Currently?

Duskblade13/Enlightened Fist 7//Monk 1/Rogue 1/ Sorcerer 13/Spellwarp Sniper 5. And yes I do know that it isn't an amazing optimized build..

mootoall
2011-07-13, 11:59 PM
Currently?

Duskblade13/Enlightened Fist 7//Monk 1/Rogue 1/ Sorcerer 13/Spellwarp Sniper 5. And yes I do know that it isn't an amazing optimized build..

Ah, you're doing a sorcerer build with it. Hmm, Duskblade is Int dependant for its spells, no? So you want a high one anyway, at least a 14. Try to find a place to swap that Rogue level to a higher place so you can use all the skill points from that to qualify for UT? You probably don't need that many Sorcerer levels, seeing as how you don't get any class features from them. What are the requirements for Spellwarp Sniper again?

mrcarter11
2011-07-14, 12:20 AM
Well.. Sorcerer will be switched for Wizard I do think.. Since Wiz is Int based. Rogue will be first level to take advantage of the super skill points..

Spellwarp Sniper needs 3rd level spells, 5th rank skills and 1d6 of SA.

mootoall
2011-07-14, 12:32 AM
Yeah, by upping the Int focus you're boosting your skill points. Since you're playing with two sides of a gestalt here, and I'm assuming Enlightened Fist is boosting your Duskblade casting, how 'bout moving the Monk level over to number one on the left side, because that's some of your highest skill points that you'll get without Rogue being 1, and then keep Rogue later so that you can use the large amount of skill points/skills you'll get at that level to fill your prereqs for UT all at once?

darksolitaire
2011-07-14, 01:21 AM
I think sorcerer works better with spellwarp sniper because of split ray. Sniper changes spells into rays as he casts them, and sorcerer can thus apply split ray to those spells. I'm not sure if you can prepare split ray fireballs and account split ray only if you warp them.

Keld Denar
2011-07-14, 01:24 AM
Sanctum Spell also qualifies you to early enter into Spellwarped Sniper, if that helps at all. Inside your Sanctum, you can cast a 2nd level spell that is effectively 3rd level. That means you have the potential to cast 3rd level spells, which means you can qualify for SWS with only 3 Wizard levels.

Does that help your build?

mrcarter11
2011-07-14, 05:07 AM
mootoall: Well, I got 20 levels per side. Now, enlightened fist is 7 levels that I need and duskblade is 13. That just sounds like those two should go together. My DM doesn't allow advancing the same class on different sides. So I guess rogue would be level 1.

darksolitaire: Can a wizard not use Spit Ray? Anyways, using rays isn't the idea of the build. The whole point of the build is to channel spells through a full attack.

Keld Denar: Somewhat. The main hurt of the build is a need of Trickster, after Spellwarp I guess. Not really a problem of when I can enter everything, you know?