PDA

View Full Version : Mobile wireess internet for a laptop/macbook?

Pika...
2011-07-12, 09:20 PM
I know it is out there, but how does it work, and more importantly what company would you folks recommend for Florida/the Southeast?

Also, what price range am I looking at?

Many Pikas in advance!

tyckspoon
2011-07-12, 09:30 PM
They're basically cell-phone radios in a USB stick. Works the same way phone internet does, complete with data plans and transfer limits. I don't know if the plans in your area will be any different, but around here you'd be looking at about $50 for the USB dongle and then $20-50 a month for the data plan, depending on how much internet you wanted to buy. And just like phones, you can often get the hardware cheap or free if you're willing to lock into a long-term contract for the data.

Katana_Geldar
2011-07-13, 01:00 AM
I wish you could take advantage of the good deal I have. I have a month to month plan with Vodafone and I get 10 gig a month for $49. But, I'm drom the land downunder...

Pika...
2011-07-14, 06:25 AM
Thanks!

And 10 gigs only for $50. That does not seem like a lot. :smalleek:

factotum
2011-07-14, 06:37 AM
And 10 gigs only for $50. That does not seem like a lot. :smalleek:

You think that's bad, wait until you see the charges they'll slap on for going over your allocation. 3 Mobile (in the UK, just using it as a price comparison) charges £17 for a 15Gb monthly limit, and then 10.2p *per megabyte* for going over--in other words, if you went 166Mb over your monthly allocation you'd double your monthly bill!

Pika...
2011-07-14, 06:43 AM
You think that's bad, wait until you see the charges they'll slap on for going over your allocation. 3 Mobile (in the UK, just using it as a price comparison) charges £17 for a 15Gb monthly limit, and then 10.2p *per megabyte* for going over--in other words, if you went 166Mb over your monthly allocation you'd double your monthly bill!

:smalleek:...

Well, there is a nice Sprint 4G USB U600 one on the link below that says "Unlimited". I am sure there is a catch, though...

http://www.broadbandexpert.com/mobile-broadband/laptop-internet-stick/