PDA

View Full Version : Help with Half-Dragon

Lord of Shadows
2011-07-12, 10:23 PM
Using the assumption that only those Dragons with the innate or supernatural ability to assume human form can mate with humanoids to create Half-Dragon/Half-Humanoids, can anyone think of any way in the standard rules (either D&D 3.x or Pathfinder) that a Dragon without that ability could create a Half-Dragon/Half-Humanoid?

Spells with "Polymorph" in the name or descriptor do not count, as they change the appearance but not the true form.

I am trying to avoid the old "because the DM says so" explanation, and also the Miracle/Wish/Divine Intervention angle if at all possible. Is there some item, artifact, secret location, or anything that could grant a dragon that ability, even temporarily? I have looked at the standard Cleric domains, at artifacts, etc., and maybe I am just missing something.

Any ideas would be appreciated. If there is nothing in the standard rules then suggestions of any sort would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

TroubleBrewing
2011-07-12, 10:30 PM
Who says the dragon has to be the one to change shape?

Slutty human Master of Many Forms. Boom.

On top of that, half-Dragons may breed true. If that is the case, you really only need a four or five dozen of each variety before you get workable populations.

Codenpeg
2011-07-12, 10:32 PM
A wizard did it. Or hell, have one of the dragon gods play around with half dragons.

TroubleBrewing
2011-07-12, 10:33 PM
A wizard did it.

With a dragon.

Twice.

Lord of Shadows
2011-07-12, 10:36 PM
Who says the dragon has to be the one to change shape?

Slutty human Master of Many Forms. Boom.

From Complete Adventurer, that is perfect. Thank you!

supermonkeyjoe
2011-07-13, 05:45 AM
The dragon could convince someone to take ten levels of Dragon Disciple :smalltongue:

Runestar
2011-07-13, 05:56 AM
Isn't there an eberron feat which lets a dragon use alternate form 3/day or something? So in theory, any dragon can assume an appropriate guise, not just metallic dragons. :smallbiggrin:

deuxhero
2011-07-13, 06:02 AM
The dragon could convince someone to take ten levels of Dragon Disciple :smalltongue:

In core, the highest charisma of a dragon without an alt form is 26, which isn't enough to get someone able to live long enough to reach the 10th level of the class to take the class.

sreservoir
2011-07-13, 12:12 PM
With a dragon.

Twice.

oh, no, a wizard did the dragon. obviously.

Urpriest
2011-07-13, 01:16 PM
Spells with "Polymorph" in the name or descriptor do not count, as they change the appearance but not the true form.

Could you explain this? I'm not clear on why it's relevant. Does Pathfinder Polymorph not change size categories?

Lord of Shadows
2011-07-14, 02:14 PM
Could you explain this? I'm not clear on why it's relevant. Does Pathfinder Polymorph not change size categories?

Sorry 'bout not being clearer on that. This is one of the 'house rules' here regarding changing form and mating. Using spells to change form does not allow mating to be effective (ie, create offspring). Using a natural or supernatural (Su) ability does allow it, so the Master of Many Forms' "Improved Wild Shape (Su)" fits the requirements.

This rule was put in place to prevent the mass creation of halves-this and halves-that, making them less common than what is perhaps in a typical campaign.