View Full Version : Autohypnosis & Wizards

consal
2011-07-13, 12:58 AM
So lets say a wizard figures out how to add "autohypnosis" to his list of skills, and then finds a way to easily make the DC. Does he need a spellbook now?

tyckspoon
2011-07-13, 01:16 AM
He could just take it cross class, you know. And between the synergy with Concentration and just Taking 10 the DC for Memorize is pretty trivial. However, the answer to your question is still No, because Autohypnosis specifically cannot memorize magical writings.

Reluctance
2011-07-13, 01:17 AM
The wizard can already take autohypnosis cross-class. Autohypnosis specifically disallows the memorize function from memorizing "magical writing or similarly exotic scripts", so it can't stand in for a spellbook.

consal
2011-07-13, 01:31 AM
Ah. Well then, c'est la vie. Too bad wizards are already OP, otherwise I'd be complaining.

Alleran
2011-07-13, 01:36 AM
If you really want to get rid of the need for a spellbook, then just use the Eidetic Spellcaster ACF from Dragon Magazine. All it'll cost you is Scribe Scroll, from what I recall. And maybe your familiar, but you can get that back by spending a feat anyway.

consal
2011-07-13, 02:25 AM
If you really want to get rid of the need for a spellbook, then just use the Eidetic Spellcaster ACF from Dragon Magazine. All it'll cost you is Scribe Scroll, from what I recall. And maybe your familiar, but you can get that back by spending a feat anyway.

Eww, Dragon Magazine. I'm still learning the basics of the game anyways, so I can't deal with much else right now than what's on d20SRD (www.d20srd.org).

Psyren
2011-07-13, 08:10 AM
There are rules for alternate spellbooks (including tattooing them onto your body) in Complete Arcane. Combine with the Geometer PrC to get some serious real-estate out of your skin (and look pretty wild to boot.)

Feytalist
2011-07-13, 08:29 AM
Or play a sorcerer. Not having a spellbook is what sorcerers are all about. :O

The spell tattoos always intrigued me. Coupled with the fact that the picture in CArc has the wizard memorising his spells with a hand mirror.

I suppose an enemy spellcaster can read the tattoo wizard's spells from his body with a high enough spellcraft check, heh.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-13, 08:40 AM
Or play a sorcerer. Not having a spellbook is what sorcerers are all about. :O

The spell tattoos always intrigued me. Coupled with the fact that the picture in CArc has the wizard memorising his spells with a hand mirror.

I suppose an enemy spellcaster can read the tattoo wizard's spells from his body with a high enough spellcraft check, heh.
Only if the wizard goes all Dr. Manhattan.:smallamused:

Alleran
2011-07-13, 09:10 AM
By the time the wizard reaches 20th level, he may as well be Dr. Manhattan, from one perspective.

Feytalist
2011-07-13, 09:16 AM

Well, the wizard in the illustration was only in a diaper, so it's not all that far-fetched...

Psyren
2011-07-13, 09:40 AM
Well, the wizard in the illustration was only in a diaper, so it's not all that far-fetched...

The caption of that picture indicated that he was preparing his spells for the day, hence the nakedness. If you do that in front of an enemy wizard, you deserve any spell-theft that occurs as a result.

Also, nothing is stopping you from putting your most valuable spells on your body, then keeping the ones you can afford to lose/that you wouldn't prepare every day, in books or other media. That way, even if the unthinkable happens and your spellbooks are ruined, you won't be stuck with read magic.

The main issue I see with this method is that it requires a certain player maturity. I fully expect some players to insist "I can at least get a 6th-level spell on my...!"

CTrees
2011-07-13, 09:48 AM
The main issue I see with this method is that it requires a certain player maturity. I fully expect some players to insist "I can at least get a 6th-level spell on my...!"

As a DM I'd allow it, but only for Repulsion :smallwink:

Feytalist
2011-07-13, 10:11 AM
As a DM I'd allow it, but only for Repulsion :smallwink:

Contagion perhaps?

subject42
2011-07-13, 10:21 AM
Contagion perhaps?

Shrink Item

Psyren
2011-07-13, 10:24 AM
Contagion perhaps?

Shrink Item

You're both heartless :smallfrown:

Coidzor
2011-07-13, 10:27 AM
Grease, it's the word.

CTrees
2011-07-13, 10:35 AM
Bigby's Grasping Hand :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: We can't forget Mount, and for those grabbing divine spells as arcane casters, there's always Create Water.

Zaranthan
2011-07-13, 12:26 PM
Mandatory link to Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html)

Also, color spray.

consal
2011-07-13, 01:03 PM
I am not proud of where this thread went.

Psyren
2011-07-13, 01:35 PM
I am not proud of where this thread went.

Once you bring official rules benefits for naked wizards into a discussion, keeping it on the rails becomes exponentially more difficult. :smallwink:

(Wang's Law)