PDA

View Full Version : Storm Talon's Foot Talons, 1 or 2 attacks?

veven
2011-07-13, 02:52 AM
The ability says you sharpen your foot talons to become weapons but it doesn't actually specify if they act as one attack or two. It says you can full attack with them and they take the -5 penalty. It then goes on to say that the multiattack feat can reduce it to a -2 penalty. This confuses me since multiattack has a requirement of 3 or more natural attacks. Is this yet another example of WOTC not knowing their own game or is this supposed to be an exception to the rule?

Cog
2011-07-13, 06:45 AM
The description of full attacking still refers to only a single talon attack, so the set are used as a single weapon. I think I've seen a few claw attacks like that scattered through the MMs, so that's not too strange.

As for Multiattack, that's simply a factual statement. If you have that feat, then yes, the attack penalty is reduced; you need to find some other way of qualifying for the feat, though, as Stormtalon alone doesn't do it, and doesn't tell you it can. That statement is merely a reminder.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-07-13, 09:50 AM
The ability says you sharpen your foot talons to become weapons but it doesn't actually specify if they act as one attack or two. It says you can full attack with them and they take the -5 penalty. It then goes on to say that the multiattack feat can reduce it to a -2 penalty. This confuses me since multiattack has a requirement of 3 or more natural attacks. Is this yet another example of WOTC not knowing their own game or is this supposed to be an exception to the rule?

With my players we always fudge around with the rules a bit, especially with the Unarmed Strikes and such, counting each part of the body that can hit as a separate natural attack (Knee, Elbow, Fist, Foot, Shin, Head etc.) So maybe they could be thinking along those lines, but ingeneral WOTC will suggest feats that are sometimes useless. Spell Focus (Conjuration) is one of my banes.

Keld Denar
2011-07-13, 04:16 PM
There are actually Conjurations that have saves. The 4th level Orb of X spells all have saves vs the rider effect. Arc Lightning and Blast of Flame do as well for half damage, and Stun Ray and Deadly Lahar also have saves for partial effects.

As far as the foot talons go, they are a single weapon, similar to the attack of most tiny-medium sized avians (check eagle and hawk familiars). You can attack with a manufactured weapon AND attack with your foot talons as a full round action, and they would be secondary natural weapons (and get -5 to hit and only gain +1/2 Str bonus). If you JUST attacked with your foot talons (such as with a standard action attack), however, they would be a primary weapon and get full +str bonus.

Its wierd because its 2 limbs that together form one attack. AFAICT, its a balance thing, as much sense as that makes.

Check out the mini-guide I cowrote (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10994.0) for more information on natural weapons and how they interact with manufactured weapons and full attacks.

Big Fau
2011-07-13, 04:53 PM
Its wierd because its 2 limbs that together form one attack. AFAICT, its a balance thing, as much sense as that makes.

Like WotC would actually have the foresight to do that.