PDA

View Full Version : Dimenstion Hop

vizz
2011-07-13, 06:00 AM
Is it possible to teleport an enemy into mid-air using Dimension Hop (PHB2)? Or is it still limited by description of conjuration itself: "A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it."?

HunterOfJello
2011-07-13, 06:21 AM
I think you answered your own question.

Dimension hop is a Conjuration (Teleportation) spell and no part of the text seems to describe an exception to the normal limitations of a Conjuration spell or a spell of the Teleportation subschool.

It is possible for a spell to do what you've said, but the spell would have to have information in its description that satisfied the 'specific over general' rule.

vizz
2011-07-13, 06:50 AM
But then conjuration text says "...or transported to your location by a conjuration spell..." and Dimension Hop teleports to some location, not necessarily the place where spellcaster is. Also, the very next spell in PHB2 - Dimension Shuffle, does have a specific description about surface to which it can teleport.

Andreaz
2011-07-13, 07:16 AM
Generally, RAW only lets you bring it to the ground, due to the whole "stable footing" thing.

My group always allows you to do otherwise if the creature is already flying. Generally I use it to keep fleeing enemies in range tho >: D

supermonkeyjoe
2011-07-13, 10:02 AM
I've always ruled that teleportation spells can go anywhere you want, even mid-air.

My reading of that line in the Conjuration description is that it only applies to summoning, creation and calling type spells, when you teleport something you are neither bringing it into being or transporting it to your location.

There is also the fact that spells like dimension hop specifically rule that you can't teleport something into an occupied space, if the spell was covered by that line in the conjuration description then this wouldn't be necessary.

Psyren
2011-07-13, 11:33 AM
Target: You

Assuming you're referring to the Dimension Hop in CPsi (I don't know any other one), you can't teleport an enemy anywhere with this power.

Yay for my reading comprehension - the OP specifically said PHB2, I'll read that one. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Ok I read it; I'm pretty sure you can 'port an enemy anywhere you want within the spell's range (will save notwithstanding.)

How weird, I had no idea there was a spell named Dimension Hop as well.

Big Fau
2011-07-13, 11:52 AM
Is it possible to teleport an enemy into mid-air using Dimension Hop (PHB2)? Or is it still limited by description of conjuration itself: "A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it."?

That's what is stopping this from working. Even if you are 50ft in the air, you have to provide them with a solid surface or a space filled with liquid to float in.

A solid surface is something capable of supporting the target's size category, such as a Giant Eagle for a medium character or a Wyrmling Gold Dragon for a small character.

Psyren
2011-07-13, 11:56 AM
Missed that line too. So this won't work.

I'm just a bucket of fail today aren't I... *wanders out of thread mumbling*

Elrihm
2011-07-13, 12:06 PM
The spell text says nothing about a conditional teleportation, it merely teleports them anywhere within 5ft/caster lvl. I say you can with this specific spell.

Big Fau
2011-07-13, 12:31 PM
The spell text says nothing about a conditional teleportation, it merely teleports them anywhere within 5ft/caster lvl. I say you can with this specific spell.

No, it does have a restriction.

A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space.

This applies to ALL Conjuration spells unless the spell states otherwise.

Urpriest
2011-07-13, 12:38 PM
No, it does have a restriction.

This applies to ALL Conjuration spells unless the spell states otherwise.

That is irrelevant, the spell transports nothing to your location.

Big Fau
2011-07-13, 01:03 PM
That is irrelevant, the spell transports nothing to your location.

Ah, it says to your location. So Dimension Hop can put things into midair.

Strangely, it has no rules regarding teleporting a creature into an occupied space (such as when a Wizard uses Abrupt Jaunt to teleport into the space you are teleporting the creature to).

Psyren
2011-07-13, 01:52 PM
Nybor's Joyful Voyage (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20041215a) lets you forcibly teleport targets straight up. I don't know if this is a specific exception though.

Porting people up into the air, off cliffs etc. is allowed in 4e as well, though they admit that the rules were not clear on this point in 3.x.