PDA

View Full Version : Feats and gear for a dragon

ILM
2011-07-13, 10:33 AM
Yup. A full ECL20 Young Gold Dragon, to be specific, with all its 14 RHD and 6 LA.

As a character's cohort, I was gunning for a kind of 'death from above' theme on the battlefield. Not necessarily strong versus powerful individuals, but able to take out any number of mooks. The kind of dragon where entire armies go "Omagawd they have a DRAGON! The fire, it burns!" but the powerful spellcaster in the enemy camp just shrugs, thinking "I can take that mangy beast".

So the build's pretty straightforward considering I have exacly zero levels to play with, but I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for feats and gear (besides a 760,000 gp pile of gold).

So far, I have:
Flaw: Multiattack (just gravy, really)
1: Flyby Attack
3: Entangling Exhalation (RotD)
6: Frightful Presence (Draco)
9: Ability Focus: Breath weapon
12: Draconic Aura (Energy: Fire) (DrM)

And as for gear, I have an Amulet of Fearsome Might (DrM), Tailbands of Impact (DrM, for the lolz), a Battle Bridle (MIC) and +6 stat-boosters for Str, Dex and Con. That's pretty much it.

Any suggestions? Primarily I'm looking for area of effect stuff that is able to instantly take out large numbers of CR1 to, say, CR5-6 mooks or stuff that helps the dragon hold its own against one stronger individual (side question: a young gold dragon is ECL20 but CR9: that sound right to you?).

only1doug
2011-07-13, 10:50 AM
Yup. A full ECL20 Young Gold Dragon, to be specific, with all its 14 RHD and 6 LA.

As a character's cohort, I was gunning for a kind of 'death from above' theme on the battlefield. Not necessarily strong versus powerful individuals, but able to take out any number of mooks. The kind of dragon where entire armies go "Omagawd they have a DRAGON! The fire, it burns!" but the powerful spellcaster in the enemy camp just shrugs, thinking "I can take that mangy beast".

So the build's pretty straightforward considering I have exacly zero levels to play with, but I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for feats and gear (besides a 760,000 gp pile of gold).

So far, I have:
Flaw: Multiattack (just gravy, really)
1: Flyby Attack
3: Entangling Exhalation (RotD)
6: Frightful Presence (Draco)
9: Ability Focus: Breath weapon
12: Draconic Aura (Energy: Fire) (DrM)

And as for gear, I have an Amulet of Fearsome Might (DrM), Tailbands of Impact (DrM, for the lolz), a Battle Bridle (MIC) and +6 stat-boosters for Str, Dex and Con. That's pretty much it.

Any suggestions? Primarily I'm looking for area of effect stuff that is able to instantly take out large numbers of CR1 to, say, CR5-6 mooks or stuff that helps the dragon hold its own against one stronger individual (side question: a young gold dragon is ECL20 but CR9: that sound right to you?).

Don't forget spells for a sorcerer L1! (okay kinda lame but but the right choices could be situatonally useful)
Arguably spells as a sorcerer L2 as at 17RHD the dragon would become Juvenile and hit Sorcerer L3.

For CR 1-4 mooks the MM sugests sleep spell as primary choice.

Keld Denar
2011-07-13, 11:10 AM
Screw Sleep...you want Blood Wind. Melee attacks at range.

Also, whats your maneuverability? You might consider a Pectoral of Flight (Draconomnomnomnomnomicon) to bump him up a catagory. If you have a Good or better maneuverability class, you can hover, which is useful for floating just out of reach of normal melee attacks and mercilessly scything through foes with Blood Wind (or Breath Weapon). Oh, yea, just checked. Poor. At least the Pectoral would bump you up to Average...blech. Alternatively, Hover might be a worthwhile feat. Hover would let him use a move action to stay still, standard action breath, then, on the next turn, he could maintain the hover and full attack with Blood Wind (per the rules on the Hover feat). Thats a pretty useful 1-2 punch for a big bad dargon.

The Gem of Fortification gives 100% fortification, which means that if a mook accidentally rolls a nat 20, it won't hurt too bad. It doesn't take a body slot, which is handy for a dargon since he doesn't get a lot of body slots. I'd also recommend one of his rings be a Ring of Freedom of Movement. That eliminates the tactic of using Solid Fog or spells like Wing Bind to ground your little glittery friend. For the other ring...Protection +5? Maybe Greater Counterspells or Spellbattle?

Really, with that much cash and a moderate lack of body slots, I'd suggest investing in Inherant type bonuses. Boosts to Con increase your BW DC and HP, Str is self-explanatory, and 4 extra points of Cha will net you an extra 1st level slot/day. Dex/Wis/Int are also not terrible choices if you have extra cashola to burn.

monkey3
2011-07-13, 04:17 PM
I would find a method to deal with the Frostburn spells that do dex damage. They are the fastest way to kill dragons.

*.*.*.*
2011-07-13, 04:28 PM
Don't forget Sovereign Archetypes!