PDA

View Full Version : Susalian Chainweave

Daisuke1133
2011-07-13, 11:01 AM
Two Questions:

Has anyone used this type of armour before?
Is it really worth the expense?

I ask because I'm putting together a character and I thought that it might be flavorful for her to have Susalian Chainweave Chainmail.

DiBastet
2011-07-13, 11:07 AM
You see, a shirt of the treant gives you the very same ability for only 9000. Show this to your dm and ask for a discount. As it stands, the price is a bit steep.

And about the DR, don't ever let someone say "it's never enough to make difference", since in the end of a adventuring week it pays itself. However slashing isn't the best option, I believe. Claws and bite also cause slashing damage, as many of the common warrior, bandit and bbeg weapons.

Daisuke1133
2011-07-13, 11:15 AM
Oh I don't have the character in a game yet, I just like building them from time to time. But Shirt of the Treant, you say? Hm, I'll have to check out the entry on that one.

And the DR is overcome by piercing not slashing.

DiBastet
2011-07-13, 11:20 AM
My bad. Claws and bite are still piercing, but at least isn't the basic weapon of warrior and bbeg, but still the weapon of bandits and simple weapon guys.

The best would be /bludgeoning in my opinion. It's the damage of slam and bite, but at least it's not so common as slashing.

Big Fau
2011-07-13, 11:32 AM
The best would be /bludgeoning in my opinion. It's the damage of slam and bite, but at least it's not so common as slashing.

The best DR to have is either Silver or Cold Iron. There's only one monster in the MM with Silver weaponry (Harpy Archer) and only two with Cold Iron ones (The archer again and the Hound Archon Hero). Although the DM can modify the encounters as he pleases (but do keep in mind that some creatures physically cannot wield weapons without them being Mouthpicks, and then you can call the DM out for being an ass).

Darrin
2011-07-13, 11:38 AM
Two Questions:

Has anyone used this type of armour before?
Is it really worth the expense?

1. No.
2. No. For the same price, you could buy a chain shirt/breastplate/full-plate +5, 3x Shirt of Chains, or 14+ lesser iron ward diamonds.

By the time you can afford it, whether an attack does X damage or X-3 isn't going to make much of a difference. You're much better off investing in miss chance effects: minor cloak of displacement, Smoking weapon, etc.

JaronK
2011-07-13, 02:14 PM
If you craft it yourself (perhaps via Fabricate?) it's much cheaper. Still not great, mind you, but it's at least cheaper that way.

JaronK

DiBastet
2011-07-13, 03:08 PM
some creatures physically cannot wield weapons without them being Mouthpicks, and then you can call the DM out for being an ass

That's a greath phrase.

By the time you can afford it, whether an attack does X damage or X-3 isn't going to make much of a difference.

As I said, don't feel impressed. If you can get your shirt of treant, then get it. X-3 after many many adventures really is better than x, if you can afford a cheap version.