PDA

View Full Version : From Hell's Heart, I SUMMON THEE! [3.5 Base Class, PEACH]

TheGeckoKing
2011-07-13, 02:35 PM
The Daemonbinder

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/298/e/1/true_purpose_of_demons_by_ak_is_harmless-d568ql.jpg

Now now, she doesn't bite. I believe Succubi prefer to drain away your lifeforce with a kiss...... - Arken Hollowheart, a Daemonbinder

To the uneducated masses, Binders are foul, blasphemous creatures. They rub shoulders with foul demons, summon up wretched devils from the pit, and are at the very least, playing with hellfire beyond the power of most.
The uneducated masses are, as you would imagine, ever so slightly wrong. It is not normal Binders that summon these foul creatures, but the Daemonbinders, who are quite different.

Characteristics: The Daemonbinder is a controlling class, who uses magic and pact to summon its own personal army. If needs be, it can enter battle itself with limited success, although this would be a position the average Daemonbinder would not like to be in.

Alignment: Strictly speaking, the Daemonbinder cannot have a good alignment. Summoning fiends into the world, even for good aims, is an act of Neutrality at best. However, while it is easier to summon fiends for selfish aims, a Neutral Daemonbinder could exist, however improbable it might be.

Religion: Daemonbinders are normally attracted to foul deities like Nerull or Hextor, with Demon Lords and Archdevils also worshipped by Daemonbinders. More principled Daemonbinders may worship Wee Jas, and a few more arcane-inclined Daemonbinders could worship Boccob.

Background: Surprisingly, the Daemonbinder Cults heard of and "overblown" by the common preacher are the most common source of Daemonbinders. They initially seem so nice and understood, offering basic teachings for a simple price. But as people grasp for more power, the teachings become more byzantine and mind-boggling, and the price becomes higher and higher.

Races: Humans make up quite a few of the Daemonbinder Cults, willing to try "unorthodox" magics at their risks. Tieflings are also common, feeling almost pushed into the class by their heritage. Dwarfs and Halflings are unheard of, and Elves tend to be rare.

Other Classes: The Daemonbinder feels closest to Binders, knowing what it means to be perceived, although they may see the Binder as naive and weak. Spellcasters such as Wizards and Sorcerers garner the Daemonbinder's respect, although such spellcasting classes look down on the Daemonbinder for his seemingly limited focus. Evil Clerics and Paladins of Tyranny/Slaughter tend to work well with Daemonbinders and their lack of ethics, although good Clerics and Paladins tend to kill Daemonbinders on sight.

Role: The Daemonbinder is a primary leader, and a secondary spellcaster. Its main job is to summon fiends, and lead them to victory.

Adaptation: In Eberron, the Daemonbinder could be a a cultist of The Dragon Below, and for games that want to err on the side of Good, the class could be converted to a "Celestial Host", swapping the class's focus on fiends to that of Outsiders from Good Aligned planes.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Daemonbinders have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Daemonbinders depend on Charisma, as it powers their spellcasting, and the potency of their powers. They also need Constitution, to make Bloodbound Pacts and thus summon creatures. Dexterity and Intelligence is always useful for AC and Skill Points, Wisdom helps with Will Saves, and Strength might be useful for a more martial-inclined Daemonbinder.
Alignment: While it is not possible for a Good Daemonbinder to exist, any Neutral or Evil alignment is possible for a Daemonbinder.
Starting Age: Simple
Starting Gold: As Wizard.

Class Skills
The Daemonbinder's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (The Planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

The Daemonbinder
Hit Dice: d8
{table=head]Level|
BaB|Fort|Ref|Will|
Special|0|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th
1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Spellcasting, Armored Mage, Bloodbound Pact|2|-|-|-|-|-|-
2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|Blasphemous Tongue|3|0|-|-|-|-|-
3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|---|3|1|-|-|-|-|-
4th|+3|+4|+1|+4|---|3|2|0|-|-|-|-
5th|+3|+4|+1|+4|From Hell's Heart|3|3|1|-|-|-|-
6th|+4|+5|+2|+5|---|3|3|2|-|-|-|-
7th|+5|+5|+2|+5|---|3|3|2|0|-|-|-
8th|+6/+1|+6|+2|+6|Bloodbound Servant, Servant's Jurisdiction|3|3|3|1|-|-|-
9th|+6/+1|+6|+3|+6|Pact Adept|3|3|3|2|-|-|-
10th|+7/+2|+7|+3|+7|---|3|3|3|2|0|-|-
11th|+8/+3|+7|+3|+7|---|3|3|3|3|1|-|-
12th|+9/+4|+8|+4|+8|Vicious Dismissal|3|3|3|3|2|-|-
13th|+9/+4|+8|+4|+8|---|3|3|3|3|2|0|-
14th|+10/+5|+9|+4|+9|---|4|3|3|3|3|1|-
15th|+11/+6/+1|+9|+5|+9|We Are Legion|4|4|3|3|3|2|-
16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Sacrificial Counter|4|4|4|3|3|2|0
17th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|To The Pit With Thee!|4|4|4|4|3|3|1
18th|+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|---|4|4|4|4|4|3|2
19th|+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|---|4|4|4|4|4|4|3
20th|+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Twisted By Blasphemy|4|4|4|4|4|4|4[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Daemonbinder.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Daemonbinder is proficient in all Simple Weaponry, in Light Armor, and with all Shields (bar Tower Shields).

Spellcasting: A Daemonbinder spontaneously casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the Daemonbinder spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must.
To cast a spell, a Daemonbinder must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Daemonbinder’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Daemonbinder’s Charisma modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a Daemonbinder can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on the table above. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score.
Instead of learning spells like a Sorcerer, when a Daemonbinder gains the ability to cast spells of a new spell level, they learn all Daemonbinder spells of that level.
Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a Daemonbinder need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.

Daemonbinder Spell List;
0th - Arcane Mark, Daze, Detect Magic, Flare, Read Magic, Touch of Fatigue, Prestidigitation.
1st - Cause Fear, Mount, Protection From Evil, Summon Swarm, Unseen Servant.
2nd - Dispel Magic, Phantom Steed, Magic Circle Against Evil, Misdirection, Suggestion.
3rd - Charm Monster, Dismissal, Dimension Door, Lesser Geas, Lesser Planar Binding.
4th - Bestow Curse, Contact Other Plane, Geas, Hold Monster, Planar Binding.
5th - Banishment, Instant Summons, Greater Bestow Curse, Greater Dispel Magic, Teleport.
6th - Blasphemy, Creeping Doom, Dominate Monster, Eyebite, Greater Planar Binding.

Armored Mage: The Daemonbinder has trained extensively in casting its limited list of spells. So extensively, in fact, that they can cast arcane spells in light armor and with a shield in one hand, with no chance of spell failure. Spells granted from other classes still have a chance of failure from wearing armor/using a shield, unless they also grant the ability to cast in armor/while using a shield.

Bloodbound Pact (Su): The Daemonbinder may not have the spellcasting capabilities of the average spellcaster, but they have a similar summoning capability. As an immediate action, a number of times per day equal to twice their Charisma Modifier (Minimum 2), the Daemonbinder may elect to take an allocated amount of damage, in order to cast a certain summoning spell as an SLA, dependent on how much damage they elected to take and their class level. The spell has a caster level equal to the Daemonbinder's caster level, and if the Daemonbinder does not take the minimum amount of damage required, the Pact fails and the attempt is wasted. The variables are in the table below;
{table=head]Min. Class Level|Damage Required|Spell Effect
1st|1|Summon Monster I
3rd|2|Summon Monster II
5th|4|Summon Monster III
7th|8|Summon Monster IV
9th|12|Summon Monster V
11th|14|Summon Monster VI
13th|16|Summon Monster VII
15th|18|Summon Monster IIX
17th|20|Summon Monster IX
19|2 (Con Drain)|Gate[/table]
The only restriction is that a Daemonbinder cannot summon any Good aligned creature with this ability.

Blasphemous Tongue: At 2nd level, the Daemonbinder learns Infernal and Abyssal as languages, if it already didn't.

From Hell's Heart (Su): At 5th level, the Daemonbinder gains the Evil subtype. This has no effect on their actual alignment. Additionally the Daemonbinder's melee attacks, and the melee attacks of any creature the Daemonbinder summons, all count as Evil Aligned for the sake of bypassing DR.

Bloodbound Servant: At 9th level, the Daemonbinder can obtain a specialized familiar in the same manner as a sorcerer or wizard (see the sorcerer class description and the accompanying sidebar, page 52 of the Player's Handbook). As with a sorcerer or wizard, obtaining a familiar takes 24 hours and uses up magic materials worth 100 gp. For the purpose of determining familiar abilities that depend on your arcane caster class level (Empathic Link, Delivering Touch Spells etc.), all the Daemonbinder's levels in all classes that allow them to cast arcane spells stack.
A Daemonbinder may, when choosing a familiar, choose either an Imp, a Quasit, or a Vargouille.

Servant's Jurisdiction (Ex): At 9th level, the Daemonbinder may share a part of its power with its familiar. The Daemonbinder's familiar may issue commands to its master's summoned and called creatures as if it were the Daemonbinder itself, although the Daemonbinder may overrule these commands at any time. Additionally, when the Daemonbinder would use its Bloodbound Pact ability, the familiar can be treated as being the center of the effect instead of the Daemonbinder, as if it had used the granted SLA itself. The Daemonbinder may also redirect the damage it would normally take to use its Bloodbound Pact to its familiar at any time, although the Daemonbinder cannot do this if redirecting the damage would reduce its familiar's hit points to 0 or below.

Pact Adept (Su): At 9th level, the Daemonbinder may attempt a higher level of summoning magic at a great cost. When using their Bloodbound Pact ability (except to use the Gate function) they may elect to lengthen the time taken to use the effect to 1 minute of full concentration, so as to attempt to use higher magics. Upon coming to the end of the minute, the Daemonbinder must attempt a special binding check (1d20 + Dameonbinder's Caster Level + Cha Modifier), with a DC equal to 25 + SLA's Spell Level. If they succeed, they may choose from one of the following benefits;

The Summon Monster spell chooses from a list one level higher
The Summon Monster spell's duration becomes 10 rounds/level
The monsters summoned by this effect have maximum hit points per hit dice.

If they fail the check, the effect still takes place, but is treated as being used in an area with the Wild Magic trait.

Vicious Dismissal (Su): At 12th level, the Daemonbinder gains Banishment as an at-will SLA, being treated as if it were cast by the Daemonbinder with regards to saves and caster level. However, this SLA can only be used on creatures the Daemonbinder has summoned or called itself.
The Daemonbinder also gains the ability to, a number of times per day equal to its Cha Mod, make a creature with the (Extraplanar) subtype make a Will Save with a DC of 10 + 1/2 class level + Cha Mod or be forcefully removed from the plane, as per Dismissal. Even on a successful save, the conjuration energies deal the extraplanar creature 5d6 points of untyped damage.

We Are Legion (Su): At 15th level, the Daemonbinder may use the senses of their servants to heighten their own. All of the Daemonbinder's summoned and called monsters within 100ft of the Daemonbinder, and the Daemonbinder itself are connected in a weak telepathic web. If one of them is aware of a particular danger, they all are. If one in a group is not flat-footed, none of them are. No creature connected in this way is considered flanked unless all of them are.

Sacrificial Counter (Su): At 16th level, thee Daemonbinder learns how to use their servants to preserve their own life. When the Daemonbinder would be affected by an undesirable effect or spell that specifically targeted them, a number of times per day equal to their Charisma modifier, as an immediate action, the Daemonbinder may redirect the effect/spell to any of its summoned or called creatures within 50ft of the Daemonbinder, regardless of the initial spell's range.

To The Pit With Thee! (Su): At 17th level, the Daemonbinder may send their enemies to the foulest pits of the Lower Planes. Once per day, the Daemonbinder may make a creature within 100ft of the Daemonbinder to make a Will Save with a DC of 10 + 1/2 class level + Cha Mod, or be removed from the plane and transported to a chosen layer of either the Abyss, Baator, or Hades (Daemonbinder's choice). The transported creature is affected by a magical hex upon transportation that prevents it from leaving the plane it was sent to via magic, for 1 whole week. This Daemonbinder's skill with conjuration magic allows this ability to ignore abilities that would specifically stop dimensional travel, such as Dimensional Anchor, but not things like a Dead Magic zone, which stops magic as a whole.

Twisted By Blasphemy: At 20th level, the Daemonbinder becomes that which they so easily controlled, more magic than matter. The Daemonbinder's type changes to Outsider, and they gain the Native subtype, along with DR 10/Good. The Daemonbinder may still be raised and resurrected like a humanoid. Additionally, the Daemonbinder is immune to any spell that would summon or call it without its consent, and automatically knows when such an attempt is made.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-13, 03:25 PM
I like this class. It looks pretty good. A couple of suggestions, just some things I think might make the class better:

Cantrips- Druid, Cleric, Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard, Wu Jen, Archivist, Favored Soul, and though I am AFB, I'm pretty sure the hexblade, duskblade, beguiler, warmage and dread necromancer, all have detect magic on their spell lists. Even with a limited spell list like this, the ability to sense and identify magical auras is just something that spellcasters are able to do. I believe you should add it to the spell list.

Familiar- With how late the familiar comes, it's kind of disappointing how the familiar can't really make use of one of its prime abilities (The ability to deliver touch spells). You only have three touch spells on the spell list, touch of fatigue, bestow curse and greater bestow curse. I don't think you should add more spells to the list, I just think you should give the class another option to use the familiar instead of delivering touch spells.

DiBastet
2011-07-13, 03:30 PM
Wouldn't it be better to make the class into paths, so you can have the Base Class do more things than just summon fiends? As it stands it's a single whole idea, summoning fiends, in a base class. I can't use it as one of the classes of my setting because it doesn't give options for a player. You can't even use it like a warlock, saying the powers come from, say, fey pacts, because you can't summon good creatures.

My proposition is to make the class broader, with thematic summoning in paths instead of just "dark lord of evil from hell". Maybe something small to begin with, a path of fiends, a path of celestials, a path of fey and maybe a path of aberrations for the alienist-like? With that you could use the good chassis of your class to make something more unique than the "dark summoner from hell".

TheGeckoKing
2011-07-13, 03:47 PM
I like this class. It looks pretty good. A couple of suggestions, just some things I think might make the class better:

Cantrips- Druid, Cleric, Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard, Wu Jen, Archivist, Favored Soul, and though I am AFB, I'm pretty sure the hexblade, duskblade, beguiler, warmage and dread necromancer, all have detect magic on their spell lists. Even with a limited spell list like this, the ability to sense and identify magical auras is just something that spellcasters are able to do. I believe you should add it to the spell list.

Consider it added.

Familiar- With how late the familiar comes, it's kind of disappointing how the familiar can't really make use of one of its prime abilities (The ability to deliver touch spells). You only have three touch spells on the spell list, touch of fatigue, bestow curse and greater bestow curse. I don't think you should add more spells to the list, I just think you should give the class another option to use the familiar instead of delivering touch spells.

I do believe it's covered in the basic abilities granted to the familiar, but i'll make it clear.

Wouldn't it be better to make the class into paths, so you can have the Base Class do more things than just summon fiends? As it stands it's a single whole idea, summoning fiends, in a base class. I can't use it as one of the classes of my setting because it doesn't give options for a player. You can't even use it like a warlock, saying the powers come from, say, fey pacts, because you can't summon good creatures.

My proposition is to make the class broader, with thematic summoning in paths instead of just "dark lord of evil from hell". Maybe something small to begin with, a path of fiends, a path of celestials, a path of fey and maybe a path of aberrations for the alienist-like? With that you could use the good chassis of your class to make something more unique than the "dark summoner from hell".

Hrrrrrrrm. I like the class as-is, so what if I offered a few prestige classes that you could trade in levels for, a-la Blackguard. One for the fae, one for the holy, and one for the mind-snapping, maybe?

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-13, 04:08 PM
You misunderstood. My problem isn't that your familiar couldn't deliver touch spells. (Which it can). My problem is the spell list itself only has three touch spells on it, as opposed to about a fifth of the entire (over 1000 spell) list of the wizard and sorcerer.

My complaint is the familiar isn't nearly as powerful in this class as it is in the sorcerer/wizard class because you only have a few touch spells with which it can deliver them, so I think you should make a different, unique option for the daemonblooded familiar, something flavorful and powerful, to make up for the familiar's deliver touch spells being underpowered and much less useful than the wizard's. (Especially since you get it 8 levels after the wizard)

TheGeckoKing
2011-07-13, 04:33 PM
You misunderstood. My problem isn't that your familiar couldn't deliver touch spells. (Which it can). My problem is the spell list itself only has three touch spells on it, as opposed to about a fifth of the entire (over 1000 spell) list of the wizard and sorcerer.

My complaint is the familiar isn't nearly as powerful in this class as it is in the sorcerer/wizard class because you only have a few touch spells with which it can deliver them, so I think you should make a different, unique option for the daemonblooded familiar, something flavorful and powerful, to make up for the familiar's deliver touch spells being underpowered and much less useful than the wizard's. (Especially since you get it 8 levels after the wizard)

Oh. How about then, the Familiar can use your Bloodbound Pact ability for you, and even pay in its own blood if the Daemonbinder wishes. You could use the Vargouille and the Imp as little Summon-Bombers, dropping Fiendish Spiders on your opponent. The Dretch couldn't do much, but Dretches suck, so i'm going to change that option to a Quasit, which would be much more balanced.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-13, 04:59 PM
Oh. How about then, the Familiar can use your Bloodbound Pact ability for you, and even pay in its own blood if the Daemonbinder wishes. You could use the Vargouille and the Imp as little Summon-Bombers, dropping Fiendish Spiders on your opponent. The Dretch couldn't do much, but Dretches suck, so i'm going to change that option to a Quasit, which would be much more balanced.

See, that sound great and flavorful and unique. It's perfect.

TheGeckoKing
2011-07-13, 05:06 PM
See, that sound great and flavorful and unique. It's perfect.

Then it shall be done. Also, I forgot to ask something......
As a question to all, any non-core spells you think would be good for the Daemonbinder?

DiBastet
2011-07-13, 08:05 PM
Hrrrrrrrm. I like the class as-is, so what if I offered a few prestige classes that you could trade in levels for, a-la Blackguard. One for the fae, one for the holy, and one for the mind-snapping, maybe?

Well you see, you got it wrong. It's not as much as a failure of your class but a suggestion to make it broader, for more people. If the intention is to finish it for your games, then by all means keep like this.

However if the intention is to also present to other dms who may be interested, then I recommend you to make it broader. It's not every game world that need another dark king lover, but there are many groups who want a class that's different of itself.

Edit: Actually, now I remembered how to express myself: Think of alternate flavors as ACFs. Same idea, same general power, different flavor.