PDA

View Full Version : Do these stack?

Dr.Epic
2011-07-13, 06:12 PM
Question: the yuan-ti template from Savage Species broodguard gain the rage ability. Now, if I go barbarian with this and choose as a barbarian to take a variant rage called Whirling Frenzy, could I then have two different types of rages and use them together giving me...

+8 str
+4 con
+2 to will
+2 to reflex
+0 AC (-2 from the standard rage, +2 from whirling)
a secondary attack at my highest attack -2

Now, being a rules lawyer, I could say this variant was listed for barbarians and only works for rage given by the class. I get rage from my race and it doesn't say I can have a variant of this type of rage.

So what do you think? Can this stack, or do you think a kind enough DM would let it?

Kumori
2011-07-14, 12:44 AM
Rage Variant: Whirling Frenzy

{{snip}}

A character can't use whirling frenzy at the same time that he uses any other form of rage (or similar ability).

They would stack if you could use both, but unfortunately it looks like you can't.

Person_Man
2011-07-14, 07:52 AM
What Kumori said.

They're unnamed bonuses, so they stack. But I think that if you take an Alternate Class Feature, and then you take levels of another class or PrC which offers the base class feature, then it counts as stacking with the ACF, and not as a different class feature. But I could be wrong about this.

Anywho, you're much better off aiming to stack different abilities (Wildshape, Chameleon, Warshaper) or just buffing up your Rage via PrC (Totem Rager, Bear Warrior, Frost Rager, etc)

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-07-14, 08:19 AM
Rage bonuses and variants are kind of a favorite of mine. Assuming you can throw enough variants/ACFs of a single type rage onto a single type of rage onto a single type rage onto a single type of rage onto one character - from rage (ex) to mountain rage to whatever else you can find - then they would all stack. The only trick is then qualifying for each and everyone one of them.

This does assume that, by RAW, each sort of "rage" is transferable for another type via ACF. Otherwise, you'll probably be limited to simply rage, [/i]frenzy[/i], and a few others by just levels alone.